Sd card issues with 6.0 marshmallow update.

Kane89

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have a sprint note 4 and recently updated to marshmallow and now whenever I turn my phone off/on the sd card icon is in the upper left corner of the notification bar. Then when I go into notification tray it says Sd card for transferring photos and media and has options to explore or unmount. Any suggestions for fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Devil Dog

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does this only happen when you power the phone down completely, then power it back on again? If so, that's probably normal behavior--I believe my ZenFone 2 does that as well upon powering up. It's just a notification to the user that an SD card is present and in use--you should be able to dismiss it.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Mine does the same thing. A
But it is reading the card fine.

I am so getting random reboots when using the FB app.

Rocking the Note 4

kanesmith41

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it just does it whenever I power off and back on. Other than that everything is fine except Facebook sync says it's turned off and I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it and still won't sync. Didn't know if a hard reset would fix both issues. Thanks for the reply.

USMC97

TheRealBW

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue and just found the solution on a different site.
  • Backup card on your desktop/laptop
  • Format Card
  • Transfer files back to card

Alternative:

• Remove card and replace with an identical card.
  • Format new card.
  • Restore files from your desktop.

hillybillycrash

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I too have the Note 4. Just got Marshmallow update 4 days ago and ever since then not only am I getting this constant random notification about the SD card (extremely annoying btw), but along with these notifications I am getting constant random phone reboots.
The reboots are during many different app usages and ALSO DURING ACTUAL PHONE CALLS.
I am starting to think Marshmallow was super rushed and not thoroughly vetted for Samsung devices.
I feel this way because of the manny different types of Samsung phone owners complaining of the same thing.
I have tried new SD cards, factory resets, removing the card. I am out money for new cards that I didn't need.
Not a fan of Marshmallow or Samsung right now...

Posted via the Android Central App

kanesmith41

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm just thinking about doing a hard reset myself. I've had this phone since 10/31/14 and never done a reset because i haven't had any issues until now.

USMC97

canosoto86

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
You are not alone with that problem.
After updating my note 4 to 6.0.1, I've been getting that notification on top screen not only when rebooting but whenever a usb device is connected to the phone itself. Random freezing and constant rebooting. I already did factory reset 3 times and format the sdcard numerous times and nothing has worked.

One issue that am having and I havent seen people post is that after the update my pc will no longer recognize my phone shows (unknown device(device decriptor request failed) I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, worked with microsoft and they couldnt solve the issue, then asked me to plug the phone in different computer and check if it works and unfortunately it didn't so we narrow the problem down to being the phone update caused the issue, as it was working perfectly fine before the update. Really disappointed in this and sprint wont respond because I don't have insurance.

hillybillycrash

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I know its Marshmallow doing this.
I took out the sd card two nights ago and I haven't had a random reboot since then. I have a new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb card on the way. I will format and install then cross my fingers. My Samsung Evo 64gb card was practically brand new.
Head scratcher...

hillybillycrash

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Update: Just formatted a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb sdxc in my phone.
Random reboots started immediately. I went 2.5 days without a reboot just by pulling out the sd card.
This all started with the Marshmallow update last week from Sprint. The OS is doing it. There is a conflict with the card reader and Marshmallow that no one wants to admit to.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Update: Just formatted a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb sdxc in my phone.
Random reboots started immediately. I went 2.5 days without a reboot just by pulling out the sd card.
This all started with the Marshmallow update last week from Sprint. The OS is doing it. There is a conflict with the card reader and Marshmallow that no one wants to admit to.

But it's also clearly not all phones. I have a Samsung 128GB EVO in my Sprint Note 4 under 6.0.1 and haven't had any issues.

inkgette

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Sd card issues with 6.0.1 marshmallow update.

As another user mentioned, after running the 'performance' upgrade, I now have SD card issues, specifically with music stored on the card. The SD card icon appears in the notification tray with, "For transferring photos and media" message.

Also, I cannot access the stored music. I receive this error message, "Playback Error - something went wrong trying to play this song from your SD card."

The whole selling point for me choosing this phone was the SD card capability. I find it ridiculous that Google should dictate that users can no longer use SD memory capability because "they" don't like it!

If there isn't a patch available to fix this dilemma, is there any way to uninstall this upgrade?

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Now I know not to jump on marshmallow as soon as it becomes available on T-Mobile. I'll stay away from this one :) lollipop works just fine for me.

Is marshmallow all that mighty? Would it be better to roll back to lollipop while they get that mess fixed? OR are they pushing folks towards the Note 5 to sell remaining stock? Never know with these big companies. I wouldn't be surprised. #rebootgate

no advertisements here.

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I had this issue and just found the solution on a different site.
  • Backup card on your desktop/laptop
  • Format Card
  • Transfer files back to card

Alternative:

• Remove card and replace with an identical card.
  • Format new card.
  • Restore files from your desktop.

I tried this, and it didn't work. Full format of card to blank. Any other suggestions?

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Sd card issues with 6.0.1 marshmallow update.

As another user mentioned, after running the 'performance' upgrade, I now have SD card issues, specifically with music stored on the card. The SD card icon appears in the notification tray with, "For transferring photos and media" message.

Also, I cannot access the stored music. I receive this error message, "Playback Error - something went wrong trying to play this song from your SD card."

The whole selling point for me choosing this phone was the SD card capability. I find it ridiculous that Google should dictate that users can no longer use SD memory capability because "they" don't like it!

If there isn't a patch available to fix this dilemma, is there any way to uninstall this upgrade?

Card is still usable- see the format issue explained in another post.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513