12-09-2016 01:15 PM
40 12
tools
    Hi, I have a sprint note 4 and recently updated to marshmallow and now whenever I turn my phone off/on the sd card icon is in the upper left corner of the notification bar. Then when I go into notification tray it says Sd card for transferring photos and media and has options to explore or unmount. Any suggestions for fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Devil Dog
    03-27-2016 09:07 PM
    Does this only happen when you power the phone down completely, then power it back on again? If so, that's probably normal behavior--I believe my ZenFone 2 does that as well upon powering up. It's just a notification to the user that an SD card is present and in use--you should be able to dismiss it.
    03-27-2016 10:25 PM
    Mine does the same thing. A
    But it is reading the card fine.

I am so getting random reboots when using the FB app.

Rocking the Note 4
    03-28-2016 08:04 AM
    Yes, it just does it whenever I power off and back on. Other than that everything is fine except Facebook sync says it's turned off and I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it and still won't sync. Didn't know if a hard reset would fix both issues. Thanks for the reply.

USMC97
    03-28-2016 01:21 PM
    so far, I just swipe it away when I see it. only comes back when I reboot. other than that it works fine.
    03-28-2016 04:23 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

Devil Dog
    03-28-2016 06:11 PM
    I had this issue and just found the solution on a different site.
    • Backup card on your desktop/laptop
    • Format Card
    • Transfer files back to card

Alternative:

• Remove card and replace with an identical card.
    • Format new card.
    • Restore files from your desktop.
    03-29-2016 11:43 AM
    Thanks, I appreciate to information.

Devil Dog
    03-29-2016 08:11 PM
    I too have the Note 4. Just got Marshmallow update 4 days ago and ever since then not only am I getting this constant random notification about the SD card (extremely annoying btw), but along with these notifications I am getting constant random phone reboots.
    The reboots are during many different app usages and ALSO DURING ACTUAL PHONE CALLS.
    I am starting to think Marshmallow was super rushed and not thoroughly vetted for Samsung devices.
    I feel this way because of the manny different types of Samsung phone owners complaining of the same thing.
    I have tried new SD cards, factory resets, removing the card. I am out money for new cards that I didn't need.
    Not a fan of Marshmallow or Samsung right now...

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-30-2016 01:02 AM
    Well I'm just thinking about doing a hard reset myself. I've had this phone since 10/31/14 and never done a reset because i haven't had any issues until now.

USMC97
    03-30-2016 06:08 AM
    You are not alone with that problem.
    After updating my note 4 to 6.0.1, I've been getting that notification on top screen not only when rebooting but whenever a usb device is connected to the phone itself. Random freezing and constant rebooting. I already did factory reset 3 times and format the sdcard numerous times and nothing has worked.

One issue that am having and I havent seen people post is that after the update my pc will no longer recognize my phone shows (unknown device(device decriptor request failed) I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, worked with microsoft and they couldnt solve the issue, then asked me to plug the phone in different computer and check if it works and unfortunately it didn't so we narrow the problem down to being the phone update caused the issue, as it was working perfectly fine before the update. Really disappointed in this and sprint wont respond because I don't have insurance.
    inkgette likes this.
    04-02-2016 12:32 PM
    I know its Marshmallow doing this.
    I took out the sd card two nights ago and I haven't had a random reboot since then. I have a new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb card on the way. I will format and install then cross my fingers. My Samsung Evo 64gb card was practically brand new.
    Head scratcher...

Kane89 and inkgette like this.
    04-02-2016 01:46 PM
    Update: Just formatted a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb sdxc in my phone.
    Random reboots started immediately. I went 2.5 days without a reboot just by pulling out the sd card.
    This all started with the Marshmallow update last week from Sprint. The OS is doing it. There is a conflict with the card reader and Marshmallow that no one wants to admit to.

inkgette likes this.
    04-03-2016 05:57 PM
    I did a factory reset and it's still there.

inkgette likes this.
    04-03-2016 08:11 PM
    Update: Just formatted a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb sdxc in my phone.
    Random reboots started immediately. I went 2.5 days without a reboot just by pulling out the sd card.
    This all started with the Marshmallow update last week from Sprint. The OS is doing it. There is a conflict with the card reader and Marshmallow that no one wants to admit to.

But it's also clearly not all phones. I have a Samsung 128GB EVO in my Sprint Note 4 under 6.0.1 and haven't had any issues.
    04-03-2016 10:02 PM
    As another user mentioned, after running the 'performance' upgrade, I now have SD card issues, specifically with music stored on the card. The SD card icon appears in the notification tray with, "For transferring photos and media" message.

Also, I cannot access the stored music. I receive this error message, "Playback Error - something went wrong trying to play this song from your SD card."

The whole selling point for me choosing this phone was the SD card capability. I find it ridiculous that Google should dictate that users can no longer use SD memory capability because "they" don't like it!

If there isn't a patch available to fix this dilemma, is there any way to uninstall this upgrade?
    04-04-2016 09:14 AM
    OK - I just experienced my first 'random' reboot.
    04-04-2016 09:39 AM
    Now I know not to jump on marshmallow as soon as it becomes available on T-Mobile. I'll stay away from this one lollipop works just fine for me.

Is marshmallow all that mighty? Would it be better to roll back to lollipop while they get that mess fixed? OR are they pushing folks towards the Note 5 to sell remaining stock? Never know with these big companies. I wouldn't be surprised. #rebootgate

no advertisements here.
    04-04-2016 09:55 AM
    I had this issue and just found the solution on a different site.
    • Backup card on your desktop/laptop
    • Format Card
    • Transfer files back to card

Alternative:

• Remove card and replace with an identical card.
    • Format new card.
    • Restore files from your desktop.
    I tried this, and it didn't work. Full format of card to blank. Any other suggestions?
    04-04-2016 10:00 AM
    As another user mentioned, after running the 'performance' upgrade, I now have SD card issues, specifically with music stored on the card. The SD card icon appears in the notification tray with, "For transferring photos and media" message.

Also, I cannot access the stored music. I receive this error message, "Playback Error - something went wrong trying to play this song from your SD card."

The whole selling point for me choosing this phone was the SD card capability. I find it ridiculous that Google should dictate that users can no longer use SD memory capability because "they" don't like it!

If there isn't a patch available to fix this dilemma, is there any way to uninstall this upgrade?
    Card is still usable- see the format issue explained in another post.
    04-04-2016 10:01 AM
    OK, so everyone, I've said this a hundred times, but I'll say it again. ANY and mean ANY time you have an upgrade, ESPECIALLY a major one to the OS, you should factory reset your phone. I have updated my Note 4 and my wife's S6 to M and have not had a single reboot issue, nor a battery drain issue (I have a screen shot which I won't post, but it says "2 days + on battery, 5% left).

While I cannot guarantee this next statement, it seems to make sense. Your phone is a computer. It uses a file system to manage its onboard items. This is here, that is there, etc. When you upgrade your OS, it resets the file system. Now things may not be where/what the new system is looking for- but it still tries to execute that command. Hence, battery drain and sometimes even reboot when it really gets fooschnockered.

Factory restting your phone resets the file system to find those "long lost items and/or to update your applications to match your new OS. The dreaded "Optimizing Apps" screen.

If you need assistance FR'ing your phone. Just google it- it's a VERY easy process which requires you to shut your phone down and restart it using (simultaneously pressing) Volume UP, Home and Power keys.

Trust me, you'll be glad you did. Come on in- the water's fine!
    Zookeeper63 likes this.
    04-04-2016 10:09 AM
    I also get the message when I first restart the phone then dismiss it and it never shows up again until I reboot the phone. I don't believe this is a problem as my sister's S7 has the message and she is not on T-Mobile. I believe this is a Marshmallow message but not necessarily indicating a problem.
    04-04-2016 11:51 AM
    I tried this, and it didn't work. Full format of card to blank. Any other suggestions?
    With a fresh card - have you tried it after formatting it in another device? e.g., format it to exFAT in a PC and try it. It's at least worth a try. I don't have any issues with my 128GB card in my Note 4 under Marshmallow and I had formatted the card in a PC, not in the phone. May not make a difference but at least it's another data point on the problem.
    sinfoman likes this.
    04-04-2016 04:58 PM
    Accidentally accepted M on my Sprint Note 4.

HATED IT.

Un reliability was cured by Factory Data Reset.

What was not cured was Android M's intolerable insistence to force selection of default programs fur categories like browser or navigation. I bounce between 5 different browsers depending on the web site i am going to. I also have about 5 different navigation apps.

If i wanted all my choices made for me, i would have sold my soul to a fruit based lifestyle a long time ago.

Call for a Program:

Create a program called NoDefault that declares itself as a browser that pops up a selector to make a 1 time choice of which browser to call. Similar for different navigation applications and other kinds of programs that force a choice of a default program. Take my $10. Please.

My hardware went bad a few days later, so my insurance covered a new replacement phone.
    Good News: new phone came with Lollipop.
    Bad News: I have started to get nagged that Android M has been downloaded and that the phone wants me to install it.

Is there any setting to erase the download?

Is there any setting to permanently decline the installation of the download?

Is there any way to keep this terrible update off my phone?

I still have about a year on my contract for this phone, so I would prefer to stay away from a rom. BUT... Are there roms that would give me my choice back?

04-04-2016 10:37 PM
    With a fresh card - have you tried it after formatting it in another device? e.g., format it to exFAT in a PC and try it. It's at least worth a try. I don't have any issues with my 128GB card in my Note 4 under Marshmallow and I had formatted the card in a PC, not in the phone. May not make a difference but at least it's another data point on the problem.
    Who's your carrier?
    04-05-2016 10:27 AM
40 12