Why does my Samsung Note 4 keeps restarting?

Primo Myth

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone,

From last month my T-mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 4 keeps restarting when the battery below 40%. After 10 to 20 min the phone will turn off and no restarting anymore. However the massage light will turn on and the color is blue. If my phone is plugged into a power outlet it will works as normal. And the battery shows 40%.

Is that battery problem?

diaperback

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Same thing started happening to me last month. I performed numerous cache deletes, factory resets, had the store reflashed my software, and even bought a new battery. At the end of the day, I exchanged my phone under warranty. This new phone hasn't had many problems. It did start freezing and restarting when I installed and used SnapChat, but it stopped after I uninstalled it.

diaperback

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I still have issues on my new handset at about 20% with the old battery. Try the steps in the pinned threads first, then try a new battery replacement. Only $30 on Amazon.

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,

From last month my T-mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 4 keeps restarting when the battery below 40%. After 10 to 20 min the phone will turn off and no restarting anymore. However the massage light will turn on and the color is blue. If my phone is plugged into a power outlet it will works as normal. And the battery shows 40%.

Is that battery problem?

I'm having the same issue.... But, at even higher battery percentages... If I get near 50%, all bets are off. :-(

hillybillycrash

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I have heard snapchat being one of the culprits. But I never had that app and I was getting 12 random reboots a day.

I unmounted and took out my practically new Samsung Evo 64gb card two nights ago and I haven't had any reboots since then.

Gonna try a new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb card in a few days. I will update if any changes for my Sprint Note 4.

I know this is a Marshmallow bug. Thats when it all started last week soon as it updated to Marshmallow.

Posted via the Android Central App

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I believe it's a Sprint/Note 4/Marshmallow issue. That combo is having the problems.

Well, as of now, only Sprint has been dealt MM on the Note 4, so no other carrier has any input yet. It may be like it's always been... new OS = new bugs. Not surprising, right? Wait until all the carriers deal MM... we're going to see a ton more posts here!

hillybillycrash

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Well, as of now, only Sprint has been dealt MM on the Note 4, so no other carrier has any input yet. It may be like it's always been... new OS = new bugs. Not surprising, right? Wait until all the carriers deal MM... we're going to see a ton more posts here!

I wish Sprint wasn't the guinea pig

hillybillycrash

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Sprint wasn't... the S7 was! :-! Check out the S7 forum if you want to see problems. It's not all that bad, but some people just seem to be unlucky for some reason.

So was Sprints Note 4. And yes I am following multiple threads in the sd card issue, the rebooting issue and general "I just hate Marshmallows in general" thread.

hillybillycrash

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Update: Installed the brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb sdxc and the random rebooting started immediately. This never happened until the Marshmallow update a week ago. This is an OS problem.

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Verizon here doing the same thing I'm going to order a new battery see if that helps iv read on older treads that fixed it. ..

Remking

May 29, 2016
Visit site

O2 UK Note 4 - updated to MM last week. Previously fine. Now Reboots every night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Civilian_Again

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm tech guy and as such I leapt on MM when it dropped because I'd read about some of the new features and wanted to start playing with them. My Sprint Note 4 had been an awesome phone for 2 years. Didn't buy an extended warranty because I'm an adult... I don't have kids... and I use a good case... in other words, I had no intentions of breaking it. Naturally, I assumed that Samsung would take the role that most manufacturers take and fix their device if they break it --- well they broke mine bigger than sh!t and now they are all but refusing to fix it because I'm out of warranty.

I had the local Samsung rep at best buy reflash it - twice, I had the Sprint rep at the sprint store reflash it - once, and I've deleted the cache partition on numerous occasions --- it still reboots every 20 minutes. Sometimes I can squeeze an hour or two of usage out of it, but inevitably it will reboot again right when I need it (usually for something work related). When I need it though, it not only reboots but then it wants to lock up on boot repeatedly and force me to disassemble the case and pull the battery, usually more than once. This typically is a 30 minute fight. And my battery life has completely gone down the tubes - 3 months ago I got 24 hrs of basic usage out of my battery, at the time of send off I was getting about 7 hrs of use if I was lucky.

So I wasted 2 hours of my life speaking with Samsung support (chat and voice) - chat told me to call voice, voice told me to send it in and fight with the repair manager about it but voice support would not provide any guarantees that Samsung would own the repair and both chat and voice deny the problem even exists. They both repeatedly said they had received no reports of the problem. Sent it in to the depot (currently back on my Note 2) and I received an email today, these [removed by Moderator] wanna charge me 70$ to reflash it again! I'm convinced that they don't care about me as a customer since they can't even be bothered to read the ticket notes that outline that it's been reflashed three times in the past week!

I just wanted to limp along until the Note 6/7 dropped and given Samsung even more of my money.... but now I question that decision.... do I just go ASUS at this point? At least they don't make their customers pay for the things the company breaks....

(P.S. To those saying just because this issue hasn't hit you (nahoku), it isn't 'widespread' --- you're absolutely incorrect. There are reports all over the web of users just like myself. In every case I've read about where the user was under warranty, a complete phone swap was done with very little hassle. I've read of one other case where Samsung owned the repair and took care of it, but for the most part it would seem that Samsung is telling everyone to 'Go Blow' if you don't have a warranty --- which is complete and utter crap.)

Point of the story... if you're experiencing this issue, warranty or not, fixed by yourself or not, please report it to Samsung. Right now they are still flat out denying that it's even an issue - when it very clearly is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biga173rd

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Same boat here not as bad as everyone else. But my Sprint Note 4 restarts at around 20-15% battery life and after I attempt to power the phone on it will not boot to the home screen it will power off after seeing the Note 4 splash screen. I would end up having to charge the phone. Previously on LP I never had that issue my batter would last even at 1%. So mostly I will need to replace my batter too. :(

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if this is the cause or not, but I would be at about 80% battery or even higher, and if I am using a Bluetooth headset, and am streaming music (mostly SiruisXm and Audible) and naturally connected to either Wifi or Data (for the streaming), then the screen goes blank, I still hear the audio that I am listing too via my bluetooth, then the phone does a rapid restart, were you hardly notice it because the music only gets interrupted for a few seconds, and oddly enough the music then resumes (i.e. the app doesn't close after the restart). The only way I can tell that the phone actually re-started is the annoying SD card mounted notification that shows up every time you restart your phone. It doesn't happen every day, but it does happen at least twice to three times a week.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000