So I've read countless threads about the focus issues and the countless fixes associated with them.

Seems to boil down to hardware, firmware, or software issues. Mine is clearly a hardware issue and the solution is always "return the phone to your service provider and request a new one". That's all fine if you bought it new through your service provider but what if you bought it used? Can it be fixed by just replacing the camera itself? Does Samsung warranty these issues?
    04-03-2016 12:20 PM
    So I've read countless threads about the focus issues and the countless fixes associated with them.

Seems to boil down to hardware, firmware, or software issues. Mine is clearly a hardware issue and the solution is always "return the phone to your service provider and request a new one". That's all fine if you bought it new through your service provider but what if you bought it used? Can it be fixed by just replacing the camera itself? Does Samsung warranty these issues?
    Welcome to Android Central!

If the phone is under warranty you can send it to Samsung to have them try to repair it. You can try to find a local repair shop that could take the phone apart and swap out the camera module. You MIGHT be able to find the camera module online like at Amazon and try to replace it yourself.
    nahoku likes this.
    04-07-2016 03:31 PM
    Thanks. That's the question though. Is the problem the camera itself? I know the camera is available on Amazon for fairly cheap but didn't want to disassemble the whole phone and replace the camera if the problem is actually the motherboard.
    04-07-2016 04:25 PM
    Thanks. That's the question though. Is the problem the camera itself? I know the camera is available on Amazon for fairly cheap but didn't want to disassemble the whole phone and replace the camera if the problem is actually the motherboard.
    This is a valid concern considering you would need to swap out the camera to even find out if it's bad. This is why itguyjax8430 said to take it to a repair shop so they can swap the module out. Either way, a repair shop or Samsung would be able to fix the issue. If you bought a camera module, and tried it yourself, and it's not the camera module... what's next? Motherboard?

Take it to a repair shop and seek their experience. It might save you money in the long run. Your call, really.
    04-07-2016 07:34 PM