As some of you may already be aware, I've had a few issues with performance and stability on my Note 4 of late. I've tried a few fixes and workarounds and I've been considering a factory reset as a last resort.

I may be a little late to the rooting party but I've just seen how 'potentially' easily it is to root the Note 4 without losing any data so I'm now thinking that this would be worth a shot, if only so that I could take a full back up of apps, settings etc with Titanium. If I'm able to improve performance with any tweaks, then that's great but if I have to do a full reset, at least I'll have a full backup.

Is this reasonable idea? Besides possibly bricking the phone, are there any other cons such as security/malware issues to consider? Any other pros besides having full access to backup data?

Thanks for any help.
    04-04-2016 08:41 PM
    Which version do you have?
    As far as I've found, there is no permanent root method for any US Note 4.
    If there is, please point me in the direction of the root method for the Verizon N910V!
    04-04-2016 09:27 PM
    Which version do you have?
    As far as I've found, there is no permanent root method for any US Note 4.
    If there is, please point me in the direction of the root method for the Verizon N910V!
    I have the SM-N910F.

I found this website which has kernels for a few different models plus the other required files. The video instructions look straight forward enough. It looks like it's only possible with the T-Mobile SM-N910T, Sprint SM-N910P and the SM-N910F.

I'll be interested if anyone here has given it a go...if yes, any probs?
    04-05-2016 06:04 AM
    I rooted my N910F when the Samsung ADH expired. Rooting as such does not improve the operation of the note. It does give you far more control over the OS. Some banks block access to mobile banking apps on rooted devices.

If you have issues with your present setup on the device, rooting alone will not fix anything. Far better chance to fix issues with a factory reset.
    Nick_1020 and tube517 like this.
    04-05-2016 06:52 AM
    I rooted my N910F when the Samsung ADH expired. Rooting as such does not improve the operation of the note. It does give you far more control over the OS. Some banks block access to mobile banking apps on rooted devices.

If you have issues with your present setup on the device, rooting alone will not fix anything. Far better chance to fix issues with a factory reset.
    Thanks for the reply.

I've pretty much been expecting to hear what you have advised but I'm wondering whether to give the root a go anyway just so I can take a full backup of apps, data, settings etc? When I do the full reset, I will be able to restore any app/game data that isn't backed up anywhere else.
    04-05-2016 07:09 AM
    I do a nandroid backup once I have set my device up with my "bare necessity apps" and keep that as a fallback to a clean start to get my devices operational. I found with frequent nandroid backups two things happen: 1 you run out of backup space and 2 you can backup corrupt apps or data.
    Work out a backup plan to save your data locally(on device or external sd card) Helium and Titanium covers what is not already catered for in the better designed apps(better to me means the app already backs data up to either Dropbox, google drive) and for Snotes I use an Evernote account. That way your data does not get locked into Samsung proprietary files should you change makes.
    Spikes
    Nick_1020 likes this.
    04-05-2016 08:12 AM
    Rooted the phone without issue. All seems to be running ok. Going to take some backups, then have a little tweak with a few settings. If I can't improve performance, I'll reset the phone and also take on board Bosbouer's advice regarding a backup plan.

Hopefully the final 7 or so months with the Note 4 will be an improved experience
    04-05-2016 06:31 PM
    What method did u use to root? Warranty is up now so looking forward to flashing cyanogen mod on my n910f

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-06-2016 04:25 AM
    I just followed the instructions here. It was very straight forward.

I downloaded the stock firmware from SamMobile and backed up as much of the phone as possible just in case I screwed it up but everything worked as expected.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    04-06-2016 05:51 AM
    The only downside I've noticed is that after booting, I get an annoying message telling me:
    Unfortunately, Knox has stopped.

Does anyone know how I can disable the message please?
    04-07-2016 09:22 AM
    You have to uninstall everything related to Knox using titanium backup. After rooting a few older sammy devices, Knox would cause random reboots until removing it completely.
    Nick_1020 likes this.
    04-07-2016 09:27 AM
    Of course, there are also ways to block those banking apps from detecting root.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    04-07-2016 11:01 AM
    Thanks! I have a workaround.
    04-07-2016 11:09 PM
    If anyone is wondering how to hide a rooted device from banking and other apps, you need two apps:

1. Cydia Substrate
    2. RootCloak Plus

You install Cydia Substrate and then RootCloak Plus and in RootCloak Plus, open Add Remove Apps and search for your banking app and select it. Reboot the phone and try your apps out. Should not detect that the phone is rooted.

The thread below at XDA explains more in detail.

[APP][CYDIA] RootCloak Plus - Completely Hid… | Android Development and Hacking

Also, I should point out that this works on KitKat and I have tested it on Lollipop and it does not work.
    04-08-2016 01:07 AM
    You have to uninstall everything related to Knox using titanium backup. After rooting a few older sammy devices, Knox would cause random reboots until removing it completely.
    Thanks. I will give that a go.

I've read a couple of articles which suggest only 5 Knox files need to be removed but the same files are not present on the Note 4. Is it safe to just remove all the ones I have on my device?
    04-08-2016 07:39 AM
    Don't suppose anyone can recommend a decent file manager to use with root access please? I'm looking for one that will support accessing LAN files, ftp as well as the standard cut, copy, paste, delete, zip etc, etc.

I've tried quite a few but had mixed success so far. Some have great features but have poor a user interface and don't seem very intuitive. Others look good but are buggy and lack features.

I'm currently using ES File Explorer Pro which has nice features but it just seems fiddle to use.

Also, can anyone recommend any apps for overclocking cpu and modifying ram settings please? Something straightforward with preconfigured profiles would be nice whilst I get to grips with things. I've tried some apps which seem a little daunting and others that are incredibly simplistic and don't offer much in the way of explanations. Then others which demand money to use more features.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    04-08-2016 08:04 AM
    I deleted anything to do with knox and all was ok, so i hope it will be the same for you. If you haven't tried solid Explorer, you might want to check it out
    Nick_1020 likes this.
    04-08-2016 08:25 AM
    I deleted anything to do with knox and all was ok, so i hope it will be the same for you. If you haven't tried solid Explorer, you might want to check it out
    Thanks.

Just tried Solid Explorer. Very nice indeed. Thanks for the suggestion ☺
    beagle82 likes this.
    04-08-2016 09:52 AM