Can using "aftermarket " samsung wireless charging products in my note 4 affect the battery life. Since it wasn't really designed to have it? Having battery issues. Once it gets to 20% it usually dies completely about 10 min later.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-06-2016 12:42 PM
    Can using "aftermarket " samsung wireless charging products in my note 4 affect the battery life. Since it wasn't really designed to have it? Having battery issues. Once it gets to 20% it usually dies completely about 10 min later.

In theory, yes, if they are not putting out the voltages that are within USB standard or the QualComm QuickCharge 2.0 spec, it could damage many things, including the battery and/or charging circuitry built into the phone. In practice, as long as you are buying chargers (including wireless charging adapters) made by decent companies and sold by reputable retailers, a charger is a charger. There are industry standards for voltage.

Wireless adds a little complexity because it can sometimes cause heat, which can shorten the lifespan of a battery - they tend to dislike heat.

How old is your battery? Have you tried a new one? They are cheap.
    04-06-2016 12:54 PM

That issue happens with my Note 4 as well once it gets to about 20% it dies pretty quickly and I charge it using only Samsung Note 4 and Note 5 chargers. It could be the battery being old, my phone is from 2014 soon after release. So it could just be age.

On mine I also game hard ever since it was new, so I understand the quick aging reason.
    04-06-2016 01:41 PM
    I seem to see a lot of people on the forums complaining about Note 4 battery problems, reboots and stuff related to batteries that have issues after a year plus. It really makes me think the batteries die quicker. Lots of people have the Phone dies or reboots at xx percent issue. Im in several forums as i have several different phones and this issue pops up most ( among the forums i subscribe to) with Note 4 people.
    As natehoy mentioned get a replacement one, they are cheap.
    04-06-2016 03:16 PM
    Thanks. New battery is where I'm headed.
    And yet this was purchased in 2014. I love it and I'm just not ready to move on yet. Holing out hope for Marshmallow and then the note 6!
    Thanks for the information.

04-06-2016 07:02 PM
    Your not the only one waiting to see what the note 6 brings us.
    04-08-2016 08:36 AM
    It really makes me think the batteries die quicker. Lots of people have the Phone dies or reboots at xx percent issue. Im in several forums as i have several different phones and this issue pops up most ( among the forums i subscribe to) with Note 4 people.
    The Note 4 with its huge screen and feature set draws batteries down very fast. Battery discharge rate is a significant factor in battery life on any Lithium battery cell. Plus, the Note 4 is now reaching the age where battery life starts to dwindle.

Lithium cells generally retain 80% of their capacity after 500 full recharge cycles. Own one for 18 months and discharge/recharge it every day and you are at 550. 20% doesn't seem like a lot, but that is an average. Some cells get weaker faster, some last longer. Your 550-cycle battery has some cells that have held more capacity, and some that have held less. This puts extra wear on the ones that have held less capacity. Eventually those cells start failing, and you start seeing failure mode symptoms in the battery.

Thankfully, 20 bucks and 30 seconds buys you another 18 months of Note happiness.
    Biga173rd likes this.
    04-08-2016 09:00 AM
    I was having the same issues with my battery. It got so bad that it would shut off at ~45% charge. Found a double battery and charger kit made by Anker for cheap. I've used Anker accessories for awhile now and have been extremely happy with the quality so I bought them. Been using the Anker batteries for several months now and they are working flawlessly. Just another option if you'd like to save a little bit of money.
    04-08-2016 11:18 AM
    I was having the same issues with my battery. It got so bad that it would shut off at ~45% charge. Found a double battery and charger kit made by Anker for cheap. I've used Anker accessories for awhile now and have been extremely happy with the quality so I bought them. Been using the Anker batteries for several months now and they are working flawlessly. Just another option if you'd like to save a little bit of money.
    Have also had good experience with the Anker charger with the 2 batteries.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 4
    04-08-2016 12:50 PM
    So, funny thing happened this weekend. The original battery that came with my Note 4 finally developed a dead cell or dendrite - because I was out taking photos with the battery at 40% and it suddenly yelled "LOW BATTERY, DUDE!" at me. By the time I got to the home screen, the battery was already down from 15% to 10% and about 2 seconds later it shut down.

Fortunately, I have three more. So after long and loyal service, the battery will be getting a brief memorial as I stop in front of the battery recycling box at Best Buy to deposit it. Recycle in peace, my old friend.
    nahoku likes this.
    04-11-2016 07:09 AM
    I just imagined you playing taps on your phone with a back up battery.
    natehoy and nahoku like this.
    04-11-2016 09:21 AM