Is it still worth buying?

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
It's spring 2016, the Note 6 is just around the corner and the Note 4 is soon going to be 2 years old... I am really tempted to buy it, but I don't know if that's a smart move considering its age. It has all the functions I need, after being out for 2 years it is actually affordable (I don't think the note 6 will be for me unfortunately..), and it's got the replaceable battery which means that it should be able to last me for more than 3 years.

I guess my question is.. is this a smart move? and will it be able to last me for more than 3 years? (particularly if I get the software update to lollipop and then hopefully marshmallow (if it will be released)).

Thank you!

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm running Marshmellow on the Note 4 at the present time. I'm not sure when if at all "N" will be released for the Note 4. Marshmellow 6.0.1 is running well so far.

If the price on the Note 4 is a good one go for it. You'll get at least 2 years for it.

Will have to see if the Note 6 has removable storage and battery before I upgrade.

Posted via the Android Central App

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm running Marshmellow on the Note 4 at the present time. I'm not sure when if at all "N" will be released for the Note 4. Marshmellow 6.0.1 is running well so far.

If the price on the Note 4 is a good one go for it. You'll get at least 2 years for it.

Will have to see if the Note 6 has removable storage and battery before I upgrade.

May I ask, which version of the note 4 do you have? (the N910C?) Do you think they will release marshmallow for all versions of the note 4? It would be fantastic if they did.

I doubt the note 6 will have a removable battery.. This new way of doing things seems to be working for samsung and other companies.. It's a real shame though since there isn't much being offered for people who still want features like a removable battery etc.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes it's definitely still worth buying. I just got my 910C a couple of weeks ago (it's actual manufacturing date is Feb 2016) brand new from B&H. There are reports and threads about marshmallow being (eventually or already on) the Note 4.

Note 4 910C 5.1.1 | Android Central App

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
May I ask, which version of the note 4 do you have? (the N910C?) Do you think they will release marshmallow for all versions of the note 4? It would be fantastic if they did.

I doubt the note 6 will have a removable battery.. This new way of doing things seems to be working for samsung and other companies.. It's a real shame though since there isn't much being offered for people who still want features like a removable battery etc.

It's the 910P Sprint.

cganesh

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I recently replaced a Note II with a Note 4. Got a great deal for an opened box but never used phone. Absolutely love it and it has everything I need. Size is great and don't think my small hands would be comfortable with anything larger. Got a Verizon version and activated it on StraightTalk. No complaints about phone or ST.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Great phone and it'll last you as long as you take care of it. I can't stand having a slow device and after a few months to a year, the phone will slow down. If your choice of a device has to last you for another 3 years, why not wait for the Note 6? Grab a brand new device and replace it with another brand new device in 3 years. You have another 3-5 months to save up for it

no advertisements here.

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I recently replaced a Note II with a Note 4. Got a great deal for an opened box but never used phone. Absolutely love it and it has everything I need. Size is great and don't think my small hands would be comfortable with anything larger. Got a Verizon version and activated it on StraightTalk. No complaints about phone or ST.

That's reassuring! I'm glad it's working out for you. I definitely like how it's possible to get good deals on it now. The phone has got great specs at an affordable price and also seems to have just about everything I need. What's making me hesitate is the OS.. I hope having lollipop and then later (hopefully) marshmallow will be able to keep the device current for longer..

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Great phone and it'll last you as long as you take care of it. I can't stand having a slow device and after a few months to a year, the phone will slow down. If your choice of a device has to last you for another 3 years, why not wait for the Note 6? Grab a brand new device and replace it with another brand new device in 3 years. You have another 3-5 months to save up for it

no advertisements here.

The thing is I am planning to buy an unlocked device without a contract. If I was to buy the note 6 it would really set me back.. I am not sure I would be able to pay that much for a phone. Actually the note 6 was what I was working towards at first, but the fact that the battery cannot be removed easily would mean that after a while the battery would wear out and I would have to pay a lot of money to get it replaced while risking the device breaking in the process. Samsung's new phones are very difficult to fix if ever there is a problem with the parts because of their new design (at least that's what I've gathered from everything I've been reading).

I was looking at lg phones for a while but they have their own issues.

It's reassuring to hear that the phone will last me as long as I take care of it :). I plan to take excellent care of it since I want it to be with me for a long time.

I hope I am making the right decision..

naira1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Apart from not receiving further firmware update after marshmallow. I'll say it's a good phone to get. I just got myself an original replaceable battery and really like this phone. Been using it since inception and it's still going strong. I don't plan to replace my phone till next year which was why I got the extra battery.
Having said that, if future firmware update is not a big deal to you then you can get this phone but if not I'll advise against it Bcos no way Samsung will support it beyond 6.0

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Realistically, Marshmallow/6.0 is going to be it for the Note 4. Within a year, it will no longer be receiving the monthly security updates if you run stock, and that problem will be even worse if (like me) you run a carrier-locked version.

Having said that, the Note 4 still has plenty of bang left in it for the buck. You never have to worry about killing batteries, since they are replaceable. You can add all the memory you want for pictures, movies, music, etc and leave all the internal memory for apps. Marshmallow will continue to be supported by the majority of decent apps for at least a few years to come (look at the apps that are out now and think "how many of these would I not be able to install on KitKat today?")

About the only wear item you cannot do anything about is the screen. AMOLED burns in. But over a year of heavy Ingress use and I'm only now starting to see any visible burn-in, and we Ingress users are not normal people. :)

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Realistically, Marshmallow/6.0 is going to be it for the Note 4. Within a year, it will no longer be receiving the monthly security updates if you run stock, and that problem will be even worse if (like me) you run a carrier-locked version.

Having said that, the Note 4 still has plenty of bang left in it for the buck. You never have to worry about killing batteries, since they are replaceable. You can add all the memory you want for pictures, movies, music, etc and leave all the internal memory for apps. Marshmallow will continue to be supported by the majority of decent apps for at least a few years to come (look at the apps that are out now and think "how many of these would I not be able to install on KitKat today?")

About the only wear item you cannot do anything about is the screen. AMOLED burns in. But over a year of heavy Ingress use and I'm only now starting to see any visible burn-in, and we Ingress users are not normal people. :)

Not trying to high jack the thread but people in my area are obsessed with ingress. I don't understand the appeal. Hack and gather items seems redundant.

no advertisements here.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm perfectly happy with my Note 4 and have no plans on switching for at least a couple more years. I use all the features Samsung has done away with, so am glad this is a great phone.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I tend to agree with the gist of what Synycalwon has written. My Note 4 is still on Kitkat and runs perfectly. I'm not one for constant updates and would rather bypass them when I can. The Note 4 is a great phone... still. If the Note 6 doesn't at least have a removable/replaceable battery and SD card, I plan to run my Note 4 for a very long time into the future.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Same here, about the only concern I have with my Note 4 isn't software/feature obsolescence but eventual hardware damage/failure either by my own negligence or eventual malfunction (buttons stop working or camera module fails etc.). With the direction Samsung has taken with locking bootloaders and sealing up batteries I have no intention of purchasing another phone from them again unless those two things change. First thing I'd do if my Note 4 needed replacement would be to search for a used/refurbished one before giving up and going back to a Nexus device. That's just me though, I have strong personal preferences towards rooting for specific reasons.

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your time and so much great advice! :) I have a much better understanding now of where the note 4 stands in terms of longevity and I think it will be able to last me for a pretty long time. I still know people who have jellybean 4.1 on their phone and most of their apps are running smoothly, so I am guessing being stuck on marshmallow or even lollipop for a few years shouldn't be that big of a deal. It's just good to hear others say so too and mention their own experience with the phone. Thank you so much guys! I'll be getting my note 4 in the coming two weeks :)

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I didn't like on my N4 was the fingerprint scanner, but for some reason I have finally mastered it, and now keep it on, and can usually do it on my first swipe. With this, and that I have only just found out about smart lock, so it's always unlocked at home, it's no longer a problem.

I just wished personally that we had the theme store, and that Samsung released different backs. I don't mind the faux leather, but would have liked a smooth surface. I have been looking for a unofficial one, but cannot find any decent ones.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
It's spring 2016, the Note 6 is just around the corner and the Note 4 is soon going to be 2 years old... I am really tempted to buy it, but I don't know if that's a smart move considering its age. It has all the functions I need, after being out for 2 years it is actually affordable (I don't think the note 6 will be for me unfortunately..), and it's got the replaceable battery which means that it should be able to last me for more than 3 years.

I guess my question is.. is this a smart move? and will it be able to last me for more than 3 years? (particularly if I get the software update to lollipop and then hopefully marshmallow (if it will be released)).

Thank you!
The Note 4 is still a fantastic smartphone, not without its own problems, but I've had mine since launch and thoroughly happy with it:

- Camera is still up there with the latest and greatest.
- Display is still top
- Build quality is solid
- Has everything (IR Blaster, MicroSD, Removable Battery etc...) but the kitchen sink.
- Good battery life
- 32GB built-in plus expansion
- Finger print scanner

etc...

Its fantastic, BUT at this point??? Unless you really can't get the Note 6 when it arrives, then I'd say get the Note 4 and a 200GB MicroSD and enjoy, otherwise wait for the Note 6. I'm upgrading to Note 6 later this year but my Note 4 will remain a great and incredibly capable spare.

You can't go wrong with the Note 4. :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae