Is it still worth buying?

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
The Note 4 is still a fantastic smartphone, not without its own problems, but I've had mine since launch and thoroughly happy with it:

- Camera is still up there with the latest and greatest.
- Display is still top
- Build quality is solid
- Has everything (IR Blaster, MicroSD, Removable Battery etc...) but the kitchen sink.
- Good battery life
- 32GB built-in plus expansion
- Finger print scanner

etc...

Its fantastic, BUT at this point??? Unless you really can't get the Note 6 when it arrives, then I'd say get the Note 4 and a 200GB MicroSD and enjoy, otherwise wait for the Note 6. I'm upgrading to Note 6 later this year but my Note 4 will remain a great and incredibly capable spare.

You can't go wrong with the Note 4. :)

I have a Note 4 and you have nearly sold me into keeping it instead of moving to the Note 6. This phone is great. It has the removable battery, expandable memory, fantastic HD screen, great camera, the works. Why move to the Note 6 when it gets released? Because it's the latest Note available? People like me are looking for what they already have in the Note 4. Why not just stick with it? Marshmallow isn't all that great anyway. Lollipop is working well for me. My phone slows down here and there but that's because I never shut it off due to work. I may just keep this bad boy. Maybe even buy an extra as backup later on.

Posted via the Android Central App
no advertisements here.

clickerman

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't expect the Note 6 to have a removable battery or IR blaster so I went to swappa and bought a second Note 4 which I use now. My original Note 4 will be on standby until the time comes that this phone stops working.

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
The only thing I didn't like on my N4 was the fingerprint scanner, but for some reason I have finally mastered it, and now keep it on, and can usually do it on my first swipe. With this, and that I have only just found out about smart lock, so it's always unlocked at home, it's no longer a problem.

I just wished personally that we had the theme store, and that Samsung released different backs. I don't mind the faux leather, but would have liked a smooth surface. I have been looking for a unofficial one, but cannot find any decent ones.

I guess you could always buy a thin case if you want a smooth surface? It is a shame about the theme store.. I've seem my friends use it and it's pretty neat. But I suppose there are launchers we can use if we're willing to put the time in?

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
The Note 4 is still a fantastic smartphone, not without its own problems, but I've had mine since launch and thoroughly happy with it:

- Camera is still up there with the latest and greatest.
- Display is still top
- Build quality is solid
- Has everything (IR Blaster, MicroSD, Removable Battery etc...) but the kitchen sink.
- Good battery life
- 32GB built-in plus expansion
- Finger print scanner

etc...

Its fantastic, BUT at this point??? Unless you really can't get the Note 6 when it arrives, then I'd say get the Note 4 and a 200GB MicroSD and enjoy, otherwise wait for the Note 6. I'm upgrading to Note 6 later this year but my Note 4 will remain a great and incredibly capable spare.

You can't go wrong with the Note 4. :)

Thanks! :) I intend to buy a 128gb microsd card with it (since I have LOADS of things I need to store on it).

I was sorely tempted by the note 6 for the longest time.. But in the end I guess I was too afraid of the build quality and lack of certain features (plus the price is bound to be high). I bet it will be well built, but, if something was to happen to it (screen getting damaged, battery needs to be changed), it would probably cost a fortune to fix.. The s7 is already hard and expensive to repair (since they have to melt the glue and use special machines to open in), so the note 6 is likely to be similar. However I suppose these are just my own problems with it, and that a lot of people wouldn't mind since they will replace their phones in 2 or 3 years.

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I have a Note 4 and you have nearly sold me into keeping it instead of moving to the Note 6. This phone is great. It has the removable battery, expandable memory, fantastic HD screen, great camera, the works. Why move to the Note 6 when it gets released? Because it's the latest Note available? People like me are looking for what they already have in the Note 4. Why not just stick with it? Marshmallow isn't all that great anyway. Lollipop is working well for me. My phone slows down here and there but that's because I never shut it off due to work. I may just keep this bad boy. Maybe even buy an extra as backup later on.

no advertisements here.

Seeing your post and clickerman's post really gives me hope :) If a phone is so good that people are considering buying a back up shows just how amazing this device is!

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I guess you could always buy a thin case if you want a smooth surface? It is a shame about the theme store.. I've seem my friends use it and it's pretty neat. But I suppose there are launchers we can use if we're willing to put the time in?

Yeah, I bought the Samsung case, it's very thin, but it still makes it just that little too bulky for me. The size of the phone is just big enough, if you know what I mean.

I have finally given in to the Nova launcher, but it's not the homescreen stuff that I wanted to change, it's the theme of the menus and phone/ messaging app etc. I did try rooting my device before, but it didn't work out, but I also don't want not have the proper camera app etc. I don't mind voiding the warranty though.

Saying that, I must be one of the few who likes the Samsung Lollipop notifcation pulldown colours.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I bought the Samsung case, it's very thin, but it still makes it just that little too bulky for me. The size of the phone is just big enough, if you know what I mean.

I have finally given in to the Nova launcher, but it's not the homescreen stuff that I wanted to change, it's the theme of the menus and phone/ messaging app etc. I did try rooting my device before, but it didn't work out, but I also don't want not have the proper camera app etc. I don't mind voiding the warranty though.

Saying that, I must be one of the few who likes the Samsung Lollipop notifcation pulldown colours.

Pretty sure that with almost any launcher you can change the icon styles. Check it out in the launcher settings.

no advertisements here.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure that with almost any launcher you can change the icon styles. Check it out in the launcher settings.

no advertisements here.
True but jordyd is talking about changing system wide interface characteristics not those associated with a launcher alone. One needs a custom ROM for that, so a variant of the device with an unlocked bootloader is a must.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Android Central posted a link to note 4s selling on Ebay for 299 but all they have left are white for 319. I'm thinking of getting one while I wait for the HTC 10 come out because I hate the droid maxx I'm using.
Sounds like a decent price.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

no advertisements here.

I'm getting a Note 6 due to my contract allowing me to upgrade every 2nd year. Will be great to having a new Note. The 6GB RAM, slightly larger 5.8inch Display, 3700mAh battery and newer UI will be nice, IMO.

That said, if I didn't have the upgrade, I'd gladly stick with the Note 4 for another year or 2.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting a Note 6 due to my contract allowing me to upgrade every 2nd year. Will be great to having a new Note. The 6GB RAM, slightly larger 5.8inch Display, 3700mAh battery and newer UI will be nice, IMO.

That said, if I didn't have the upgrade, I'd gladly stick with the Note 4 for another year or 2.
You've been an avid Note 4 fan for a while... just like a lot of us. I hope you enjoy the Note 6! I'm sure it's going to be a great phone. Here's hoping they bring back the removable battery and SD, but that's just my wish.

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
You've been an avid Note 4 fan for a while... just like a lot of us. I hope you enjoy the Note 6! I'm sure it's going to be a great phone. Here's hoping they bring back the removable battery and SD, but that's just my wish.

That's my wish too, not just for the note line but for Samsung in general. They did bring back the SD card slot for the s7 so they likely will for the note 6 too, however I wonder if they will ever release another phone with a removable battery or if that's something that's never coming back... I really hope it will someday.. maybe they could have a separate line of phones with that feature?

Even though I am not really impressed with the G5, I think it's great that LG is at least trying to find ways to keep the removable battery..

Gerryinbc

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy the removable battery on my Note 4 as well and was a bit hesitant to get the S7e with a sealed battery. But the battery in the S7e is fantastic and I haven't missed being able to swap it at all. Hopefully the Note 6 is just as good. I'd like a 64GB or 128 GB Note 6 with expandable memory.

elomax55

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Just got a new battery and factory reset my phone. The phone feels and moves like new, if you don't did the latest the note 4 is a go. This coming Nov. will be 2 yrs and I'm still loving this phone.

Was looking to upgrade to the note 6 but decided to hold on for one more year, note 7

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.
I think SD will be back but I doubt it will have a Removable Battery (fingers crossed it does).

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.
I think SD will be back but I doubt it will have a Removable Battery (fingers crossed it does).
I just thought about it... I wonder if they'll change the design of the S Pen so it can't be inserted backwards like on the Note 5. I guess we'll see how they respond to all the bad publicity that issue brought out. Hopefully, they haven't forgotten about it. We'll see!

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
bf3109bee6e3c2d658883ba0760ce053.jpg

abb9c01ea6901f425a46b992001d89da.jpg

I am back on the 4 . The 5 is in the drawer...

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I just thought about it... I wonder if they'll change the design of the S Pen so it can't be inserted backwards like on the Note 5. I guess we'll see how they respond to all the bad publicity that issue brought out. Hopefully, they haven't forgotten about it. We'll see!

I think they will. So far Samsung has been making this year all about fixing mistakes, so I definitely think that they will fix the s pen and probably give it more features. I think they want to bring the Note line back with a bang this year.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
So far Samsung has been making this year all about fixing mistakes
Yes, and if the Note 6 brings back the SD card, that alone will put a nail in the coffin of the Note 5. My conjecture, or course! For sure things will certainly get interesting in a few months time!

I love my Note 4! LOL!