Phone randomly Rebooted at 28%....

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Right after the reboot I got the low battery warning long enough for me to hear the beeps and see the pop up then it just died. When I plugged it in it was at 0. Wtf?

Posted via the Android Central App

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Is that because of fast charging wears batteries out like I've heard people say?

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's just that time wears out batteries, I haven't seen anything concrete about fast charging killing batteries.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
They have a limited life span. I don't know how many cycles the Samsung batteries are rated for. I have been cycling between two Samsung batteries since buying my Note 4 in January of 2014. Once in a while, the phone will shut down when it gets a bit below 10%. Some people on this site say that you should never use the battery below 40% but I think that's too extreme. I always recharge any of my phones when they get between 5-10% left. Some of my phones I am still using after 4-5 years with no problems in using them this way.

As an example of so many cycles/battery degrading, I have an iPhone 5S with 276 cycles and the battery has 86% capacity left which is amazing.

I bought two new batteries for my Note 4 last week but I'm going to keep using my original two batteries till I start having problems with them.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've never had to think about buying a new battery for any phone ever before. This thing is less than 2 years old if the batter "wears out" that fast this is a problem. Defect or poor quality or design. This shouldn't happen with such a high priced device. Samsung should be giving people extra batteries for this flaw.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
While I understand the sentiment I can't say that I agree with it completely - if the majority of batteries are living past the manufacturer's warranty period before exhibiting the behavior then they're working as designed - we may not like it but the bottom line for manufacturers is to design products that last long enough to work for the intended product life, not to last for years and years.

As the market has progressed to thinner and thinner devices the battery technology has had to adapt too, it's probably not appropriate to compare historic battery performance to that of newer devices with thinner or newer battery tech. Surely yield and lifespan is impacted when battery designs are pushed to the limit in terms of thinness.

I'm one of those whom NexusGirlX notes would swear to never go too low between charges and I can honestly say that my charging habits of keeping percentages north of 40% has NOT kept me from seeing a failed battery on my Note 4. I've had one swell and fail so yeah at the end of the day I just use the device however I need to use it and I'll replace the battery when it needs to be replaced. My Note 4 isn't the only battery I've ever had fail either - I've had one swell in a Nexus 4 (was over 2 years old by then) and an iPhone 5.

It is what it is . . I'm thankful that the battery on this phone is easily replaceable and affordable. . at the same time though, production of batteries for it will sunset (if it hasn't already) and eventually nothing but old stock will be left with limited lifespans. My Nexus 4 is still going strong with the battery that I had to put into it (which wasn't as easy as the Note 4) but the market for batteries for it is limited.

Here's hoping that battery tech continues to improve in future devices.

pmccartney

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Would somebody please confirm that using a new battery has resolved this issue. I only wish to be certain that the issue is not a result of a problem due to a recent update.

Thank you.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I've seen many posts about similar issues resolved only by a new battery. Haven't experienced the problem with mine yet, but I have a spare battery on the way this week.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae