Note 4 screen getting hot

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Got a Note 4 and upgraded to the latest firmware (6.0.1). Whilst I'm pretty impressed and happy with the device I notice that it gets hot when the screen is on and perfoming regular tasks like browsing in Chrome.

The heat is mainly centred around the top part of the screen. It's exactly the same area that warmed up a little on my Note 3, but the heat is quite a bit more noticeable on the Note 4. Checking the CPU and battery temperatures, they're under 40 degrees even when the screen feels hot to the touch.

Anyone else experience this with their device?

Many thanks in advance.

longmtavk

May 25, 2016
Visit site
Can't confirm what is the problem. CPU and battery temperatures under 40 degrees that is normal. U can only try hard reset phone than recheck.

Joe Vile

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd have to agree with Longmtavk. Try clearing cache in settings/ storage/cache. Failing that, boot into recovery and clear cache there

Posted via the Android Central App

JimmieCD

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I find that the launcher I use has a lot to do with phone temp. I have used Google Now Launcer, Nova, TouchWiz, and Action 3. I have found that if I use Action 3 (free version) my phone does not get hot.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I've found the phone to run quite cool on 6.0.1, only time it gets hot is when Fast Charging, Gaming or just after boot up when its indexing my mem card, but it quickly cools down after that.

Maybe in Accounts, check in Google that it isn't trying to maybe Sync photos, or maybe its a rogue app.

braxtoq

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Since it's new, was there a lot of apps being downloaded and installed? Mine heats up when I first set it up or reset it to factory settings ND start over.

Gaurav Sag

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Just want to share my experience, maybe it can help others. My Note before was on Lollipop. Since I'm very curious to compare the difference between the Kitkat and Lollipop and also after experiencing some crashes which I think because of the Lollipop, I downgraded my phone to Kitkat. After downgrading my phone, the upper half of my screen gets hot even on light tasks which I don't think I had when my phone was still on Lollipop. When I checked the cpu, the usage is not going down. Since the CPU is always on high, the part where the processor is located gets hot and also slows the mobile. So I researched on the internet if other users encountered the same issue and I was right, I'm not alone with this issue. Some of the articles that I've read is caused by a misbehaving app, but there is one article that got my attention. There is an application included on the phone for security purposes which is the KNOX app. I followed them on how to verify by installing Elixir 2 and saw some security process always consuming CPU. After that, I freezed the KNOX app and services using Link2SD and it seems the problem is solved. There's also a video on youtube that says that freezing and removing KNOX app will not help but based on my experience, it's the one causing my phone to heat up. Now my phone is back to normal.

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I find that the launcher I use has a lot to do with phone temp. I have used Google Now Launcer, Nova, TouchWiz, and Action 3. I have found that if I use Action 3 (free version) my phone does not get hot.

I wouldn't have thought of this - thank you. Switching from Nova to Touchwiz or even Google Now launcher appears to make it run less hot. No clue why, I've used Nova for years. Thanks so much for the hint!

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I've had this issue when I was setting up my note 4 for the first time. I went into the battery usage under settings and noticed Gmail had an up time of about 1.5 hrs. I figured it was having problems syncing with my email accounts, so I switched to stock email and haven't had any heating problems since. I would suggest looking into your battery settings and see what apps are running unusually high in "stay awake" or "cpu total".

I'm running Nova and there's no problem here.

Note 4 910C 6.0.1 | Good Lock UI | Android Central App