Am I Crazy to Buy Note 4 Refurb?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thinking of buying a VZW Note 4 refurbished by Samsung so comes with 12 month warranty. The reason is I like ir blaster and controllable multicolor led and most importantly dual radios for simultaneous talk and data in vzw even in 3G. New Samsungs lack ir blaster and only have 1 radio so u need lte to have simultaneous talk and data.

I see lots of problems discussed here. Am I nuts to buy a Note 4? I love all the features of my Note 3 but it cannot hold out forever so I figured a Note 4 would be good backup? What do you think? I know Note 6 (called 7) will be spectacular but it will not have dual radios nor ir blaster (which I L O V E).

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
No you're not crazy. My Note 4 runs fantastic. The only reason you see lots of problems posted here is because folks are more inclined to post when they have a minor issue, rather than praise when the phone works (pretty much like any other phone forum).

The large and sharp display, removable battery, SD card slot and IR blaster, and the ability to handle all the 3D intensive games, make the Note 4 a very capable device today.

Note 4 910C 6.0.1 | Good Lock UI | Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's funny... Most consider a 2 year old state of the art laptop design pretty new but a 2 year old phone design is a dinosaur. I really wanted to like the Note 5 but I don't get why a phone with fewer features is considered waaayyy better.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
It's funny... Most consider a 2 year old state of the art laptop design pretty new but a 2 year old phone design is a dinosaur. I really wanted to like the Note 5 but I don't get why a phone with fewer features is considered waaayyy better.

The consensus is the Note 4 is the definitive Note.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=666999

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I dont think you ought not do it, I just think there are like 10 or 15 better devices since then , most of which will be supported longer, etc.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
BTW... How can I subscribe to this thread but NOT get email notifications. Maybe a moderator can help me? I cannot find how to shut off email notifications.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Off topic: There are two places to check, one is your general settings in the settings menu and the other is here:. https://www.androidcentral.com/follow/

If that doesn't work I think we can magic it from our end but I don't like to mess with people's profiles because it can break other things if we aren't careful.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Off topic: There are two places to check, one is your general settings in the settings menu and the other is here:. https://www.androidcentral.com/follow/

If that doesn't work I think we can magic it from our end but I don't like to mess with people's profiles because it can break other things if we aren't careful.
I checked. I have instant email unchecked already. No idea why I get the emails. I always end up unsubscribing to threads because of the constant emails. I like getting the "inside the app" notifications on desktop or tapatalk but not email. I have email notifications shut off in tapatalk too. It's always been like this so I just unsubscribe any thread that gets a lot of responses. Wish I could shut them off but still get within app notifications. All of my other forums do.

breid

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thinking of buying a VZW Note 4 refurbished by Samsung so comes with 12 month warranty. The reason is I like ir blaster and controllable multicolor led and most importantly dual radios for simultaneous talk and data in vzw even in 3G. New Samsungs lack ir blaster and only have 1 radio so u need lte to have simultaneous talk and data.

I see lots of problems discussed here. Am I nuts to buy a Note 4? I love all the features of my Note 3 but it cannot hold out forever so I figured a Note 4 would be good backup? What do you think? I know Note 6 (called 7) will be spectacular but it will not have dual radios nor ir blaster (which I L O V E).
Go for it! Love mine because it is the best!!!!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I checked. I have instant email unchecked already. No idea why I get the emails. I always end up unsubscribing to threads because of the constant emails. I like getting the "inside the app" notifications on desktop or tapatalk but not email. I have email notifications shut off in tapatalk too. It's always been like this so I just unsubscribe any thread that gets a lot of responses. Wish I could shut them off but still get within app notifications. All of my other forums do.

Shoot me an email at matt.luciano@mobilenations.com and I'll try to help out with this. Also, grats on your 4000th global post.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
For basically one half original cost it seems like it is worth a try.

Is it still possible to control led with lightflow?
I really enjoy my Note 4. For 1/2 the cost I think it is a great deal. My guess is that MM will be the last update we get, but this should last awhile.

I wish Samsung was faster with updates but a least we get a few. I bought a flagship HTC phone in 2011 and only got one update. Not great for a very expensive phone. I don't care what HTC releases any more. They will only be able to burn me once.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I hate pushed updates (other than security updates). I have never experienced a smart phone working significantly better after an update but sometimes are much worse. Updates often add "features" I don't want or care about and sometimes take away features I love. All updates should be voluntary.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think its a good option. Looks like there are certified refurbished ones on Amazon for less than $300. Overall the Note 4 is a good upgrade from the Note 3. Camera, screen PPI, and fingerprint scanner are not as good as the Note 5, but if IR blaster and dual radios are more important features; then Note 4 is still a good choice.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thinking twice now about Note 4 purchase. I wrote 3 different sellers in eBay asking questions about customer service before purchasing including if they have an active telephone they answer in event of problems. These are big time ebay providers with ebay "stores" not just a regular guy selling one item.

3 different stores got the same questions. It has been a week and not even one if them replied. I have never had ANY seller in Ebay fail to reply to a question before. If they won't reply to a question a problem would apparently result in an Ebay complaint and I don't need that kind of aggravation. Too bad. Some great deals but I need to know I can trust the seller.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Thinking twice now about Note 4 purchase. I wrote 3 different sellers in eBay asking questions about customer service before purchasing including if they have an active telephone they answer in event of problems. These are big time ebay providers with ebay "stores" not just a regular guy selling one item.

3 different stores got the same questions. It has been a week and not even one if them replied. I have never had ANY seller in Ebay fail to reply to a question before. If they won't reply to a question a problem would apparently result in an Ebay complaint and I don't need that kind of aggravation. Too bad. Some great deals but I need to know I can trust the seller.

If you want peace of mind and a one year warranty, may I suggest B&H? I bought my unlocked Note 4 from here at the beginning of the year, great customer support.

Check out what I found on B&H Photo Video http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1097106-REG

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463