"Finalizing Android update" on every startup

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
You're right about the USA thing. I saw that, but forgot. As for the Sprint unlock policy, this is the problem:
* The device is Domestic SIM Unlock capable
From what I read Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone are supposedly not unlock capable. But I agree with you about one thing: it's time for me to take it into a Sprint store and see what they can do.

Really appreciate your continued interest. I'll understand completely if you decide you've got better things to do. I know how intensive this kind of help can become.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
If you look on the Sprint page I linked and scroll down to the bottom, you'll see that the Note 4 is on the list of unlockable phones. All Verizon Note 4's come SIM unlocked, so the Note 4 is definitely unlockable.

Really appreciate your continued interest. I'll understand completely if you decide you've got better things to do. I know how intensive this kind of help can become.
It's not a problem... I'm always interested! I once assisted someone on Geekstogo (I used to be a Tech there) build an entire XP machine from scratch to finish. This thread is nothing compared to that one.

What I'm really hoping is that Sprint will see the issue and decide they can't fix it, and then hopefully, (fingers crossed!) give you a new (probably refurbed) phone so you don't have to worry about this one. Either that, or the reflash will take. We can't see if this can happen until you visit the store. Be sure to make noise! LOL!

Edit... I just looked at the Sprint link again... You're right they don't have an "X" next to the Note 4 for the Domestic. In any case, still give it a go and see what they can do.

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Went to the Sprint store. He asked if it was rooted. I didn't know. He looked at it, then told me they could do nothing as it wasn't insured. He told me to take it to a third party store in town.
I took it to that store. He also asked if it were rooted. I didn't know. I told him it had a boost account by the previous owner. He told me ONLY Boost can activate that phone from now on. He also said nothing was wrong with the phone after seeing the same messages appear exactly as I said. He had a slightly condescending, bordering on rude, attitude. At least he didn't charge me.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry things didn't go so well with Sprint. If there's another Sprint store around you, you should visit it to see if you can come away with a different result. So when Sprint and the 3rd party people checked the phone, did they determine if it was rooted or not? Did they check the Knox counter? Did you ask Sprint if they can reflash the phone for you?

I'm not sure where to go from here. One option is reflashing the stock rom onto the phone yourself, but you need to know how to do it, plus you need the correct firmware. You could also take the phone to a Boost mobile store and see if they can reflash the stock rom. I've read Boost is a subsidiary of Sprint in the US, but don't know if they push their own OS updates. If find it interesting that they told you you can only use the phone on Boost. I know nothing of Boost, so I don't have any idea about this. Lastly, since you say you never intend to activate the phone, maybe you just have to live with these messages. Personally, I wouldn't and would rather research the heck out of it to get rid of them... or get rid of the phone. This phone has something going on with it that safe mode and a factory reset won't correct. It probably needs a reflash... but by who?... Sprint or Boost???

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Neither told me if it was rooted. I found out on my own by doing a little Google research: it's not rooted. I didn't ask Sprint if they would reflash the phone because they said they wouldn't do anything without insurance on the phone. Since it hasn't been rooted, I don't think that matters.

I don't know if they checked the knox counter. I didn't know anything about the knox counter...until I just did a search on Google. I checked it and the warranty was oXo, still valid. I think that's what you mean. Took me awhile to find out how to exit download mode, but it was ultimately very simple.

I DID find out something useful from Ting! When I checked the IMEI on Ting's website I got this Ting problem.jpg
I was pretty sure that was wrong. This is what I found out about the phone from Ting support:

So, I called Sprint and we checked out a few things with his device and its compatibility on Ting. I wasnt able to get too far without a PIN, as we both don't have that information from the original owner.

Since the phone was originally on Boost, for less than 12-months, and it was a pre-paid device, this is why you are getting the error on our website. Pre-paid phones have to be active on the network for 12+ months before they can move to Ting.

I might go to a Boost store I discovered locally about the messages. I'm like you, I don't like unresolved messages/mysteries regarding my tech. I just remembered that Boost had no record of this phone, so I don't think they're going to be helpful. Maybe worth a visit anyway.

The reason I'm investigating use as a phone (in addition to the messages) is because my simple cell phone from Net10 is about to be cut off from the network. It would be called a burner phone by today's standards and I guess Net10 doesn't want to support it anymore.

I'm pretty sure I can get the Sprint Note 4 unlocked to work on any GSM or CDMA carrier despite what I've been told. But the messages...don't know what to do about them yet.

So far I've been underwhelmed by the local experts.

Last edited:

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Where did you buy the phone from? Since it's a recent purchase, any way to contact the seller and ask for a refund? If it was on ebay, and the seller didn't specify anything about it being blacklisted (unpaid balance) then you may be able to recover your money. I've heard carriers share the blacklist, so you probably won't be able to activate on any carrier until the phone bill is cleared. Again, not sure where to go from here... situation seems to be getting worse.

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I got it from a Craigslist seller. I told him I was just going to use it as a small wifi tablet, but things changed recently when I found out Net10 was going to drop my simple cell phone (non Android or IOS) from the network. Also, the messages I mentioned appeared AFTER I bought the phone and let it upgrade to MM. The IMEI isn't really blacklisted as stolen or lost, just unpaid or something. I wouldn't care about the phone part if Net10 wasn't about to drop network coverage. As for the messages, maybe the next Android update will stop them. The phone DOES work as a small tablet for my original intent. I'm still frustrated. Maybe the original owner will contact me and I can actually use it as a phone.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacklisting can also include phones that have outstanding unpaid bills. It's just a generic term for phones that can't be activated... like it says in that Ting photo you attached. I'm pretty sure you're going to be hosed if you try to activate it. You should try your best to get this cleared up with the seller and get a refund, if possible. I'm not even sure if you yourself could pay the Sprint bill to clear the phone.

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I understand. Guess I could still use it as I intended: as a small tablet. Or sell it at a loss to someone who wants a parts device in great condition.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
As a last resort you might reflash the phone yourself using Odin. You would need to download the correct firmware from Sammobile or Youmobile then flash the phone as shown in the Odin tutorial I linked. It's not a difficult thing to do, but stipulations are...

1) You absolutely must use the correct firmware for your phone model.
2) The firmware must be for your carrier. Do not flash any other carrier's firmware.
3) The firmware must be for your country. Same here... do not flash any other country's firmware.

If you flash a wrong or corrupted firmware, wrong carrier, wrong country, you can brick the phone... more than likely soft-brick, but even that's no fun. If things go well, then the phone may turn on without the messages, however, you'll still be left with the blacklist problem. The flip side is that perhaps even a successful flash won't get rid of the messages.

Flashing firmware is not without risk and if you're a computer guy, then you'll understand that it compares to flashing bios. Personally, I've never had a firmware flash fail, (bios either, for that matter), but my luck is my own.

Up front, I'll tell you that recovering from a bad flash is sometimes very tough via a forum. Mostly due to the fact that the phone isn't in front of people you're asking help from, not to mention the error message can be rather grey as far as specifics are concerned. There are quite a few experienced people here on AC, but most reside on the XDA forum. That said, if you attempt the flash and it fails, I recommend you join and post to the XDA Note 4 forum... I think Sprint has it's own forum branch.

Finally... the last ditch effort is rooting the phone. What that might gain you, I can't speculate. Rooting is something I'm not familiar with on the Note 4 as the last phones I rooted were my HTC's, and until just recently, Verizon Note 4's were not rootable, so I never even looked that deep into it. Again, XDA is the place to visit for any/all information about rooting. Rooting is also not without risks. Personally, I'll never attempt a root on my Note 4 simply because the risk is too high... for me.

I apologize for my long-winded posts. Just trying to anticipate any questions you might have. And no, you more than likely can't revert your phone to Kitkat.

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the long post! No, I don't think I'm going to re-flash it, at least not now. I'll either live with the messages or attempt to sell it as a bad ESN phone with the message popup problem. I would be very upfront about both. I've seen bad ESN phones sell on Ebay. I've never bothered to sell on Ebay, so this would be a first if I go that route. Probably take a hit on the price also, but I'm willing to do that.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, good luck to you whatever direction you choose. Too bad we couldn't have at least got the messages taken care of. Take care.

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Sold it. Was completely candid about everything. It's his headache now. Thanks for all your help! I really hope I don't need it again, but I'm glad you took the time. I hope I can return the favor sometime.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The reason that it disappears while wifi is connected and reappears when wifi is turned off is because your phone is not activated. Wifi on, connected to server update is confirmed, wifi off, no mobile or data connection, update not confirmed. I also use one of 2 notes that I own for the same reason that you do, and experience the exact same issue. Unless activated there is nothing one can do about it. I use that phone strictly for backup and with only wifi I can still do everything that my activated note does except make phone calls. Sincerely Arthur

cganesh

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I just saw your post. Have you downloaded Smart Switch or Kies from the Samsung website to your computer? I am using Smart Switch. Once installed you can plug your note 4 into computer and Smart Switch will allow you to backup any data and settings you need to save before doing a factory reset. I have a Verizon phone on StraightTalk so only way to download MM is via Smart Switch or Kies3. These two programs might help resolve your problem since you can use them for downloading OS directly and not OTA.

I did find out in research I did when I purchased my Note 4 earlier this year is that the Sprint version is unique and can't be used on any service that doesn't use Sprint towers. The radio band they use are for CDMA are not the same as the ones for Verizon CDMA. You do have capability to use the GSM bands but service in US will be very slow due to available radio bands on phones not originally manufactured with GSM the main service type. I did ATT for about a year on a previous Verizon Note II and phone service was fine but data service was at best their older 4G and not the newer faster 4G. I think you're stuck with Sprint and their affiliates.

If you ultimately explore rooting your phone, these restrictions might go away. Not sure since I haven't taken that step.

Posted via the Android Central App

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
The reason that it disappears while wifi is connected and reappears when wifi is turned off is because your phone is not activated. Wifi on, connected to server update is confirmed, wifi off, no mobile or data connection, update not confirmed. I also use one of 2 notes that I own for the same reason that you do, and experience the exact same issue. Unless activated there is nothing one can do about it. I use that phone strictly for backup and with only wifi I can still do everything that my activated note does except make phone calls. Sincerely Arthur

Both messages appear whether wifi is on or off. I should say "appeared" because I don't own the phone anymore. However, I understand what you're saying about the first message and its relationship to wifi. It was my thought as well. I'm glad someone else had the same problem and that the resolution was as simple as activating it. Good to know! I appreciate your input!

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I just saw your post. Have you downloaded Smart Switch or Kies from the Samsung website to your computer? I am using Smart Switch. Once installed you can plug your note 4 into computer and Smart Switch will allow you to backup any data and settings you need to save before doing a factory reset. I have a Verizon phone on StraightTalk so only way to download MM is via Smart Switch or Kies3. These two programs might help resolve your problem since you can use them for downloading OS directly and not OTA.

I did find out in research I did when I purchased my Note 4 earlier this year is that the Sprint version is unique and can't be used on any service that doesn't use Sprint towers. The radio band they use are for CDMA are not the same as the ones for Verizon CDMA. You do have capability to use the GSM bands but service in US will be very slow due to available radio bands on phones not originally manufactured with GSM the main service type. I did ATT for about a year on a previous Verizon Note II and phone service was fine but data service was at best their older 4G and not the newer faster 4G. I think you're stuck with Sprint and their affiliates.

If you ultimately explore rooting your phone, these restrictions might go away. Not sure since I haven't taken that step.

Posted via the Android Central App

I discovered the same thing about Sprint the hard way. Everything I learned was worth the loss I took when I sold the phone. The info you supplied above, about downloading the OS directly, is also useful. I wasn't sure what to do about upgrading the OS with an unlocked phone. Your post gives me some clues!

Note that I haven't checked this thread in a few days as I thought there would be no new posts. I'm VERY glad to see there are two new posts and very useful posts from which I may learn. Thanks, guys!