Recently the Note4 running 5.1.1 has been getting pretty hot just idling. Battery drain has gone way up. I have a relatively new battery and swapped that out and it is still doing it. (didn't think that would solve the problem but was just checking).

I am in the beginning stage of trouble shooting and the first thing I've did was start in Safe Mode and that stops the fast power drain.
    So its something non hardware that is causing the problem.

I got an AT&T update this morning and I was thinking that maybe they knew of the problem and this update would fix the problem but after it finished I still found the same problem. The phone is not in Safe Mode and is draining at about 1% per minute with the screen on doing nothing

I've looked in Settings > General > Battery
    Android System 3%
    Media 2%
    Screen 2%
    Visual Voicemail 1%
    iSyncr 1%
    iSyncr Free 1%
    Photos 1%
    DCMProvider 1%

I've read when you prove that the problem is fixed with Safe Mode you then can remove apps to see which one is causing the problem by process of elimination. I have about 200 apps. That would take a lot of tests. How should I proceed? I am considering doing a wipe and reset.
    One more piece of info: I have a 64G memory card that has a small amount of music on it. I recently moved some more music on to it. It was around that time that the power problem started, but I can't be sure that it was exactly at that time.
    06-19-2016 12:02 PM
    Heat during what should otherwise be an idle condition means that an errant process is running in the background. I always make it a point to turn off auto updates and only update when I can monitor the device afterwards. This allows me to refer back to recently updated apps list if I notice issue.

My suggestion is to yank the microsd card, reboot and see if the issue persists. Wait a while before your evaluation, say 20minutes. If the issue is gone go back and delete the new files on the card leaving the old. If still no problem then you could have a bad file that is causing issues with media scanning or a bad sector on the card.

If the card test has no effect then it could be a recently updated app. Harder to track though. Id probably wipe cache in recovery (forget if stock recovery has this option lol).
    krauster likes this.
    06-19-2016 12:32 PM

My suggestion is to yank the microsd card, reboot and see if the issue persists. Wait a while before your evaluation, say 20minutes. If the issue is gone go back and delete the new files on the card leaving the old. If still no problem then you could have a bad file that is causing issues with media scanning or a bad sector on the card.
    Thanks for the suggestion. After pulling the SD card the battery drain problem immediately went away. The phone got a lot faster too. I then recalled my observation from many months ago when I first installed the card. I noticed that the phone with the card installed seemed slower in a lot of ways.

I might get around to putting back in the card and deleting everything on it and then starting adding files again but I'm more inclined to just leave it out and live with less storage. I really don't need the card for the music, podcasts and photos that store on the phone.
    06-26-2016 10:50 AM