So I've had my Note 4 for about two years now. Within those two years, my phone has been through a lot---drops, falls, swimming in water, etc. For the past few months, my phone has been slowing down a lot. It has become laggy and the screen would freeze up constantly. The phone would also randomly restart---but it usually doesn't get passed the start screen. Sometimes when the phone reboots itself, the android icon appears and there is a message saying "Downloading...please do not turn off target". I'm not sure what this means. Usually what I do is take out the battery, let the phone sit for a few minutes and then try rebooting it. The phone only works once in while after doing this.

I did end up taking my phone to the repair shop and they told me they couldn't fix it because it was "water damaged" and that is probably why my phone has been acting up.

So I decided to buy a new Note 4 off ebay (it's a refurbished unlocked AT&T phone, I have Tmobile). After inserting my sim card and going through the set up process, I realized the phone was kind of slow. I signed into my Google account and Samsung account where my old apps were automatically downloading onto the new phone. After this, the phone started freezing and was glitchy. It all of a sudden randomly restarted too. Basically, it started having the same exact issues I had with the old phone--freezing, laggy, phone restarting, screen blacking out, "downloading...please do not turn off target" screen, etc...

The weird thing is that once I removed my sim card, the new phone seemed to be running smoothly, with no issues at all.

Could this be because I have a faulty sim card or that my sim card is old/not compatible or possibly infected? It's frustrating because I have already contacted ebay saying I wanted to return the phone and now it's working just fine, just without a sim card!

Any thoughts?
    07-01-2016 07:39 AM
    I would reload the factory image on the phone.... a factory reset won't completely clean out the phone and set it back to the factory state, all it does is reset any user modified stuff.

Hold on, I'll go find a guide.. I've seen one around here. Here it is:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...sung-kies.html

(oh, and I moved this over to the Note 4 forum)
    07-01-2016 09:38 AM
    Also having this problem, Not tried the phone without a sim card will try that tomorrow. Anyone got any solution? Thanks
    07-08-2016 10:36 PM
    I had the freezing and restarting issue as well so I was able to downgrade the phone from 6.0.1. to 5.1.1 through flashing my phone/odin and it solved my issues.
    07-09-2016 12:45 AM
    Also having this problem, Not tried the phone without a sim card will try that tomorrow. Anyone got any solution? Thanks
    I had to stop using "Smart Lock" -- as much as it pains me to do so -- that stopped all the restarting issues for me. I did it as follow: I removed all the devices that are in the smart lock, then I went into settings>security>Trusted agents> and turned it off, and lastly I went into the recovery screen at boot up and did a cache clear. And now my phone is golden. Hope this works for you.
    07-11-2016 09:54 AM
    I had to stop using "Smart Lock" -- as much as it pains me to do so -- that stopped all the restarting issues for me. I did it as follow: I removed all the devices that are in the smart lock, then I went into settings>security>Trusted agents> and turned it off, and lastly I went into the recovery screen at boot up and did a cache clear. And now my phone is golden. Hope this works for you.
    Sadly it hasn't. Smart Lock off, Cache cleared. Rebooted. SD Card previously removed leaving all apps on main phone (some others suggest that). I also tried Wakelock app, but that actually made it worse. Still looking for a solution.
    01-12-2017 10:35 AM
    I had same issue of freezing and randomly restarting. Version 6.0.1 on Note4. I tried wipe cache, fac reset but issue did not go away.

Finally I found by trial and error that app called Battery Charging Source and Current 👹 was the culprit.

I would recommend uninstalling any third party crappy apps.

Since yesterday my phone is back to normal. Fingers crosed.☺
    01-12-2017 01:09 PM
    My wife's Note 4 is having the same problems of freezing and also getting the green robot and cannot update etc. Done factory reset several times
    I have use SMart Switch to reload the operating system. The OS seemed to reload but then it got stuck with the message unable to load update on the PC and the android robot upload fail screen on the phone

Can someone give an *****'s guide to reverting back to version 5 of Android using Odin.

Thanks
    01-13-2017 03:55 AM
    I had the freezing and restarting issue as well so I was able to downgrade the phone from 6.0.1. to 5.1.1 through flashing my phone/odin and it solved my issues.
    How did you do this?
    01-13-2017 04:07 AM
    Sprint just pushed out a new firmware update. Initial reports are that the new firmware has corrected the issue. My Note 4 has returned to normal operation. Will monitor for any further news.
    04-05-2017 02:26 PM
    Sadly it hasn't. Smart Lock off, Cache cleared. Rebooted. SD Card previously removed leaving all apps on main phone (some others suggest that). I also tried Wakelock app, but that actually made it worse. Still looking for a solution.
    No solution found. Updating Android led to even worse situation, with phone only rebooting into recovery. Samsung reckon it needs a new motherboard, at huge cost.
    04-06-2017 08:58 AM
    No solution found. Updating Android led to even worse situation, with phone only rebooting into recovery. Samsung reckon it needs a new motherboard, at huge cost.
    Sorry to hear about the situation. It also happened to me with the QB3 update where the phone stopped working, even with the Wakelock app. What I eventually did is wipe the phone completely, then use Odin to update the software but also used the PIT file with ODIN to get it to eventually work, although still have to use the Wakelock app; but now it is stable. Without the app the issue remains.

Hopefully you are able to try that and get it to a stable state enough to hold you for the Note 8. I will no longer to OTA updates anymore. If any, I will attempt them through ODIN but would like to avoid updates at this point.
    04-06-2017 12:50 PM
    Sorry to hear about the situation. It also happened to me with the QB3 update where the phone stopped working, even with the Wakelock app. What I eventually did is wipe the phone completely, then use Odin to update the software but also used the PIT file with ODIN to get it to eventually work, although still have to use the Wakelock app; but now it is stable. Without the app the issue remains.

Hopefully you are able to try that and get it to a stable state enough to hold you for the Note 8. I will no longer to OTA updates anymore. If any, I will attempt them through ODIN but would like to avoid updates at this point.
    Thanks. I guess I need to give that a go.
    04-06-2017 03:16 PM