Note 4 Overheating and restarting

scorpstar29

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I have had the Note 4 since Dec 2014 and it has been a great phone. However I started having issues after Marshmalllow update where the phone would stop working at 30% and keep restarting till battery drained. got a replacement battery (original from samsung) which resolved that issue.

However since Sunday the phone has been over heating (shows CPU is 71 degrees in the app) and tends to shut down randomly every time I try to use the phone. It is also taking over 3 minutes to boot which used to take less than 30 sec. Have deleted most of the apps , done a factory reset and a wipe partition cache, which has not resolved anything. Please help.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have had the Note 4 since Dec 2014 and it has been a great phone. However I started having issues after Marshmalllow update where the phone would stop working at 30% and keep restarting till battery drained. got a replacement battery (original from samsung) which resolved that issue.

However since Sunday the phone has been over heating (shows CPU is 71 degrees in the app) and tends to shut down randomly every time I try to use the phone. It is also taking over 3 minutes to boot which used to take less than 30 sec. Have deleted most of the apps , done a factory reset and a wipe partition cache, which has not resolved anything. Please help.

Can you tell where it's getting hot? There are really two main places a phone can get hot. The first is the processor. This would happen if you're running some intense programs or if something is misbehaving. The other place is the battery, and that happens if it's exchanging power quick, either in or out.

What you have to do is figure out where it's getting hot and why.

Did you get a Samsung replacement battery or a 3rd party battery? Would you be willing to get a new one to test things?

Or are you running a program at times when the phone is crashing? Is it the same program?

These troubleshooting steps will help us get to the right answer.

scorpstar29

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
It seems to be the processor that is heating as the surface feels cool to touch. I installs an app called all-for-one cleaner and it showed that the CPU temperature was 73 degrees.

As for apps I was only using whatsapp and phone and not touching anything else.
Phone crashed mostly when i pressed the home button to start the phone.

I got an original samsung replacement battery for £22 and dont want to spend anymore if there is no resolution in sight.

I did a master reset last night and have not updated from back up as i did last time. have not installed any apps other than what came in with the phone. It still keeps restarting randomly. I feel that this is a hardware issue and will take it back to O2 as soon as i get a chance

Bill216

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
It seems to be the processor that is heating as the surface feels cool to touch. I installs an app called all-for-one cleaner and it showed that the CPU temperature was 73 degrees.

As for apps I was only using whatsapp and phone and not touching anything else.
Phone crashed mostly when i pressed the home button to start the phone.

I got an original samsung replacement battery for £22 and dont want to spend anymore if there is no resolution in sight.

I did a master reset last night and have not updated from back up as i did last time. have not installed any apps other than what came in with the phone. It still keeps restarting randomly. I feel that this is a hardware issue and will take it back to O2 as soon as i get a chance

I was just gonna ask where you got your battery from, I was informed people will buy old batteries and re sell as new on the Internet.

Freelance1040

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I had the freezing and restarting issue as well on marshmallow so I was able to downgrade the phone from 6.0.1. to 5.1.1 through flashing my phone/odin and it solved my issues.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
This happened with me as well. Had to factory reset and do a clean install via Odin. Problem solved.

Posted via the Android Central App