I only toggle mobile data on when I need it including navigation. I forgot to toggle it on without realizing until I reached my destination. It worked as usual. You need mobile data for GPS to work, right ? Is it a function of Google maps to automatically use data whether toggled on or not ?

Posted Via My Note 4 With Armor Coated Bullet Proof Otter Box
    07-16-2016 06:35 PM
    GPS works fine without mobile data, but all that GPS does is determine your current location as latitide and longitude. In order to translate that into what road you are on, and how to get to your destination, Maps requires the map info for your route. You can turn of mobile data (or wifi if available) when you are getting ready to depart, olan your route, keep Maps running but kill your connection and it will work fine.

The drawback is that if you depart from your original route with no network access, Maps may be limited to directing you back to the original route, it may need network connection to calculate a new route. You may be able to save the local map info before leaving in order to have reroute capability while traveling disconnected.

Also, while disconnecd Maps has no sccess to traffic conditions.

I only toggle mobile data on when I need it including navigation. I forgot to toggle it on without realizing until I reached my destination. It worked as usual. You need mobile data for GPS to work, right ? Is it a function of Google maps to automatically use data whether toggled on or not ?

Posted Via My Note 4 With Armor Coated Bullet Proof Otter Box
    07-17-2016 08:28 AM