Did AT&T forget about Marshmallow on the Note 4?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
AT&T has never really been fast about updates. I would be surprised if the Note 4 got MM from AT&T.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
AT&T has never really been fast about updates. I would be surprised if the Note 4 got MM from AT&T.

I know this is sort of comparing apples to oranges, but they sure seem to be on the ball with pushing out security updates. They did decent with other handheld devices getting marshmallow. But they've completely spaced the Note 4. I was chatting with an AT&T employee this morning in fact to see what info I could get, and she told me she needed my IMEI number, so at that point I knew I was going to get a canned nonsense response so I just quit the chat.

They have no idea what they're doing over there. All I can say is when they do push it, it better not have a single freaking bug. If they took this long and still didn't squash all the bugs, they're absolutely incompetent. And if they need to roll it out en masse to see what bugs are there, do it already!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I understand slow... But this is ridiculous. This is the one thing Apple has over Android. Updates.

Depends how you look at it. Android can be used by various manufactures (like Samsung) where the carriers can modify the software and therefore delay the updates. If you were to compare a true Apple phone to a true Android phone (Nexus) it is the same then. Google pushes the updates directly to the Nexus -- no waiting on the carrier.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
At this point, I don't think AT&T will be rolling out MM to us until *at least* the Note 7 gets announced, which is in a couple of weeks. That probably increases the chances that people will upgrade to the Note 7.

If we get it, I'd bet on mid-August at the earliest once a bunch of people have placed their preorders - and after the Note 7 starts shipping as a more probable date.

azdenn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Or... they have made the determination that Android M will degrade our Note 4 experiences... would be nice if they'd confirm one way or another though #smdh

Porkchopexpress1969

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
At this point, I don't think AT&T will be rolling out MM to us until *at least* the Note 7 gets announced, which is in a couple of weeks. That probably increases the chances that people will upgrade to the Note 7.

If we get it, I'd bet on mid-August at the earliest once a bunch of people have placed their preorders - and after the Note 7 starts shipping as a more probable date.

Isn't the Note 7 coming Aug 2? So your think Note 4 might get MM mid Aug?

Posted via the Android Central App

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the Note 7 coming Aug 2? So your think Note 4 might get MM mid Aug?

I suspect that is the *earliest* date the AT&T Note 4 will see Marshmallow. Many who bought the Note 4 at launch (October 2014) are approaching the end of their two-year contracts and will probably be jumping ship anyway, so they'll have fewer phones to screw up if they wait until many of those folks have moved on to their new shiny phones.

I just can't see them launching MM for the Note 4 this close to launching the Note 7. I'd love to be proven wrong.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that is the *earliest* date the AT&T Note 4 will see Marshmallow. Many who bought the Note 4 at launch (October 2014) are approaching the end of their two-year contracts and will probably be jumping ship anyway, so they'll have fewer phones to screw up if they wait until many of those folks have moved on to their new shiny phones.

I just can't see them launching MM for the Note 4 this close to launching the Note 7. I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm one of them. I got my Note 4 on launch day and fully intend to upgrade to the Note 7. But I won't be doing it with AT&T. Not only because of the updates, but that is part of it. I feel that you're 100% right and I do not respect a company who will make that type of judgement call. Marshmallow should NOT have even been a factor at this time. We should have had it at least two months ago if AT&T was being even remotely competitive with other carriers.

And i'm not one of those who says that if I don't get the update immediately, i'm leaving. I'm fine waiting for updates so they can work out the bugs. Especially if my Note is functioning great (mine isn't). The problem I have is that I feel like AT&T and Verizon don't care one bit about the consumer in so many different ways unrelated to updates. That's fine, I will go somewhere else. I'd take slightly worse service (negligible difference at this point) for a company who is at least trying to make up market share. It seems like the companies who are dominant like Verizon and AT&T become complacent.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Off topic, but whoever runs the AC App, how bout we get the ability to click an image and enlarge it, please?

Note 4 910C 6.0.1 | Good Lock UI | Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Off topic, but whoever runs the AC App, how bout we get the ability to click an image and enlarge it, please?

Seriously. I thought that was a pretty common feature in apps from like 2009.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bryan Lucas

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
After 9 months of a barely usable 5.0.1 I think Samsung and AT&T owe us a solid version of marshmallow. That said, this is exactly why I will never buy another Samsung phone. I'll either go Nexus, One+, Moto, or Apple for my next phone.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
There is a solid version of MM on the Note 4 ... you can thank ATT for not having one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz