I have a note 4 that is now dying. It boots runs for bit, locks up I have to pull the battery to reboot. Sometimes it boots to a screen that say mmc failed, sometimes it sits on the intital boot screen, and sometimes it boots again and then fails again 5-30 min later.

I have insurance through squaretrade and they don't have anymore Note 4's in stock and they can't get anymore so they are going to give me cash instead. My question is I need to get a replacement phone now, do I buy the note 5 with the Note 7 just around the corner? Ugh...I am pissed that this couldn't have happened until after the note 7 was out.

I cannot live without the S-pen, i use it 90% of the time and hate using my work cellphone because it doesn't have a pen.
    07-27-2016 01:08 PM
    If this is a warranty replacement, I believe that even if you do wait until the Note 7 comes out, they would replace it with the closest model available to yours, which would be the 5. BUT if you can wait and they're giving the any choice, then I'd wait until the Note 7 is upon us. The Note 5 is not a bad choice either, but you'll probably get water proofing and the SD card back on the 7.

You can use your work phone with either an active stylus or a capacitive one in the meantime if you decide to wait. Not ideal, but totally worth it to get a newer Note.
    sinfoman likes this.
    07-27-2016 01:14 PM
    They aren't replacing it with any phone, they are giving me cash in place of my phone. Enough to buy the Note 5
    07-27-2016 01:21 PM
    Ah!!! OK, in that case, I'd definitely wait no matter what. It seems you already have a phone to get you by in the meantime. Wait at least until the Note is announced next week and see if the release date/price range is acceptable. Once that is announced (and especially after it comes out), the Note 5 will drop price, so you can either get the latest and greatest or get a cheaper Note 5.
    07-27-2016 02:08 PM
    Have you tried starting your phone in Safe mode to see if it's an app causing your issues. It may not help since you state its sometimes stuck on the boot screen, but worth a try.

Other than that, I agree with SpookDroid... wait for the Note 7 to see what it brings. The Note 5 has no SD card slot which is a MAJOR flaw... Samsung knows this and that's why the S7 now has a card slot... hopefully the Note 7 will bring it back also.
    07-27-2016 03:29 PM
    Have you tried starting your phone in Safe mode to see if it's an app causing your issues. It may not help since you state its sometimes stuck on the boot screen, but worth a try.

Other than that, I agree with SpookDroid... wait for the Note 7 to see what it brings. The Note 5 has no SD card slot which is a MAJOR flaw... Samsung knows this and that's why the S7 now has a card slot... hopefully the Note 7 will bring it back also.
    Not for everyone. While I like having the SD card slot, I never needed it in the time I spent with the Note 7 (sure, I went with the 64GB version, but still). So for ME, not having the SD card is not a 'major' flaw (and it's not a 'flaw', just a decidedly unpopular design choice).
    07-27-2016 04:09 PM
    I think with the mmc failing, the phone is on it's last legs. The main question is...when will the 7 be available? Bring announced on the second, doesn't mean it will be available right away.
    07-27-2016 04:19 PM
    Not for everyone. While I like having the SD card slot, I never needed it in the time I spent with the Note 7 (sure, I went with the 64GB version, but still). So for ME, not having the SD card is not a 'major' flaw (and it's not a 'flaw', just a decidedly unpopular design choice).
    For you, you're right. I personally still consider it a flaw to release the phone with no SD. Very poor judgement on Samsung's part for a flagship phone. At least they understood it with the S7. But that's neither here or there. Over and out!
    07-27-2016 04:29 PM
    I am going to wait to find out what we find out on Tuesday about the Note 7. I may then look for a deal on the Note 5 and get that in the short term and then when I am ready for an upgrade in October get the Note 7 and give my kid the Note 5 as an upgrade to his Galaxy 5.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    07-28-2016 10:53 AM

I did a factory reset and it didn't fix anything. Still does all the same things.
    07-28-2016 10:55 AM
    It's the universe telling you that you need and deserve a new phone to play with

And your kid will love you if you give them a Note 5! My sister was ecstatic when I gave her mine... and I charged her for it!
    07-28-2016 11:13 AM
    Like everyone said- wait for the 7.
    07-29-2016 07:38 PM
    One more day for announcement!
    08-01-2016 10:56 AM
    I would get anything but Samsung. I bought one Samsung phone and regretted it, which was the Note 4. I like the phone, but I hate that Samsung drags its butt with updates.
    08-02-2016 09:30 AM
    Looks like I will limp along for the next 17 days and get the Note 7....Since I will only have to put $100 of cash on top of the warranty money. This way I can save my upgrade coming in October as an additional insurance policy.
    08-02-2016 02:44 PM
    An alternate idea is to replace it with another Note 4 ( if you liked the phone when it worked properly, of course).
    The price of them is only going to get cheaper over time and you can reuse the bits of the old one as spares - charger, battery, s-pen, etc.
    huntnyc likes this.
    08-05-2016 10:47 AM
    You could root it, and then update it to whatever you like and leave the slow Samsung updates behind.
    </2¢>
    08-05-2016 10:49 AM