If this phone gets Android N, can I update through Samsung?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My carrier is Verizon but I plan to get the Note 7 and will keep my Note 4 without a carrier. If Android N is released for the Note 4 will I be able to update it through the Samsung site?

Thanks!!

project86

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
It's Samsung, so don't expect N any time soon. I barely got Marshmallow for my Note 4 and here comes N already. I like my Note 4, but I think I am done with Samsung. I don't see why the Note 4 won't get N, when Samsung finally gets off their butt and gets it running. It just probably won't get O, which will probably be Oreo.

hooked1#AC

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
And that's why my next phone won't be a Samsung. You pay a fortune for the phone and they hardly ever update the OS. Theres plenty of good phones out there, what we really want is the newest OS versions. Hey, I have an idea. Why don't they just make it easy to update/upgrade to the newest version of Android and all you gotta do is pay for it? Most phones these days have plenty of horsepower to run the newest version of Android. But alas, they won't, because it's all a scam to get you to buy a new phone every year or two.

DCBamBam

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I second ur point...like here i am with my att note 4 that still hasnt gotten MM and everyone else has.....matter of fact I haven't even gotten a security update.........but since this phone is capable of housing android N why not have us pay for it instead of making us buy a entire new phone...

Posted via the Android Central App on ATT NOTE 4

Marvin78

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Otherwise it's pretty standard for non-Nexus devices to get at most two major OS updates. That's because updates require resources and incur costs that at some point are better used toward newer devices or those about to be released.

I generally agree, but imho we shouldn't make it sound as if it's a reasonable or justified attitude towards the customers. It's a common corporate ****ty policy, just to force us to upgrade every 2 years, for no good reason. Personally, I'm sticking to my n910c for as long as it lasts, even if they start selling note 14

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not really what I was asking. Just wanted to know if updating through Samsung was possible.

That said, my Note 4 started with Kit Kat, went to Lollipop and now Marshmallow. This means Samsung has updated the Note to present OS so maybe some are being a bit unfair to criticize Samsung when it has updated the Note 4 as far as it could so far. Also, no one knows that the Note 4 won't get Android N.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I will ask a different question.

If I do not have a carrier and I do a factory reset on the phone, can I get the latest released OS, in this case Marshmallow, directly through Samsung?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I will ask a different question. If I do not have a carrier and I do a factory reset on the phone, can I get the latest released OS, in this case Marshmallow, directly through Samsung?
Samsung doesn't release OS updates to phones... the carriers do. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but if you're thinking you can go to Samsung.com and get the OS for your Verizon phone, I'm going to guess you can't, unless Samsung hosts the download somewhere... and it'll still be Verizon firmware. Your Note 4 being off-carrier doesn't matter... it's still a Verizon phone, and it requires you install a Verizon OS.

From what I gather... Google releases the OS to Samsung, Samsung tweaks it with TouchWiz and passes it off to the carriers, who tweak it further and sends OTA updates to their phones. Not all Note 4's operate exactly the same... the carriers tweak the OS to their liking. This is why AT&T phones can use dial codes and Verizon phones can't, among other things, like tabs in Settings menus. Sorry, I actually can't remember what phone does what anymore, much less the OS and all the changes!

However, even if your phone wasn't updated to MM, you could always flash the update yourself if the firmware was available for download. The following is kind of mute since you already have MM, but... Sammobile has the PD1 version available for download, and Youmobile has PD1 and the latest release PF3 available for download. Once you download the firmware, all you have to do is flash the phone using ODIN. Again, your phone, even off-carrier, is still a Verizon phone... you can't use any other carriers firmware to flash it.

All that said, and in regards to N... unless the carrier decides it wants to work on N and release it to the Note 4, (highly unlikely... can you say money!), the Note 4 will probably never see N (more than likely), unless it's gained through root and an unofficial ROM (this might happen!). We can "hope" the carriers will work on N for us, but personally, I doubt it.

By the way, if your question was really about getting N through Samsung somehow, without Verizon having to release the software, then I'm going to say you're going to be out of luck.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I will definitely factory reset my Note 4 to get a clean install of MM before activating my new phone. I thought I had read a few years ago that you could update your OS through Samsung Kies or Smart Switch.

Larry_F

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I will definitely factory reset my Note 4 to get a clean install of MM before activating my new phone. I thought I had read a few years ago that you could update your OS through Samsung Kies or Smart Switch.
The phone I used before my Note 4 was the Samsung Galaxy S4 on Verizon. After my S4 was no longer activated with Verizon, I read that Verizon had released a security update for it. Since my S4 was not activated I did not get that update OTA, and even after waiting a few months, checking for updates from the phone while on WiFi found nothing. I used Samsung Kies to check for updates for that S4, and it found and installed the Verizon update. So at least in some cases it is possible to install a Verizon update using Kies.

Larry

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The phone I used before my Note 4 was the Samsung Galaxy S4 on Verizon. After my S4 was no longer activated with Verizon, I read that Verizon had released a security update for it. Since my S4 was not activated I did not get that update OTA, and even after waiting a few months, checking for updates from the phone while on WiFi found nothing. I used Samsung Kies to check for updates for that S4, and it found and installed the Verizon update. So at least in some cases it is possible to install a Verizon update using Kies.

Larry

Thanks for the info!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908