Another corrupted SD card - Note 4

wm4

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello, All -

Note, with a Samsung 64 gb micro SD card.

Tried to open Jorte Calendar app, and got a "corrupted SD card" message. Jorte and its entries have lived on the SD card, along with a lotta photos.

Powered the Note 4 down, removed the SD card, slapped it into a PC card reader, plugged it into the PC port "I".

Of course, the PC said the sd card needed formatting.

Searched here, copied the instructions for "Using chkdsk to fix a corrupted SD card" (http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html)

Ran chkdsk.

Pop-up said "No way; these are RAW files; no can do."

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

So; are the lad's files gone forever? Is the card and its photos, etc., toast?

The Jorte calendar app'name, BTW, still appears on the phone screen, but with an icon of an SD card overlaid; poking it gets a popup asking if I "want to install Jorte".

Whaaaaat? Photos, et al, gone to Samsung Heaven? Or what?

Thanks you.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I had success using "recuva" a windows recovery program. It lets you recover 8Gb for free, thereafter payment is required.

wm4

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, Bosbouer.

Downloaded/installed Piriform's "Recuva"; ran it against the micro SD drive.

No dice; no recognizable file formats found (which, of course, they would not be, since they all apparently have been morphed into RAW format...). Asked did I want to reformat the card. I think not: card bad; card probably dead.

wm4

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Pro tem: CardRecovery (v6.1; freebee "evaluation" version) now running, but it's gonna take a while. 21 photos recovered as of right now...

Aaannnnnd...fugetaboutit.

21 photos were recoverable with this software, but a $39.95 purchase is required to do anything but 'preview' them.

So the search continues...

meanwhile, what causes this? Brand-name SD card suddenly going rogue? Application problem? Note 4 problem?

Don't want to buy a new card and have it crapout. too. Hmmmm

Last edited:

MousePad

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Usually I got that kind of problem with off-brand cheap cards. However, since I bought a SanDisk "gold" card, this issue has disappeared. That does not mean of course that this card will *never* develop a problem, but it seems to be of better quality than other cards.

I do realize your card is a Samsung brand card, and from what I read, they are quality cards. Maybe the card had a defect? Maybe the card was a fake?

wm4

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, MousePad.

Yeah, this is a Samsung "Evo" 64gb card, bought from a reputable vendor and in use for about a year, No warnings, just croaked. Counterfeit? Who knows. Probably just one of those thongs.

Anyhow, SanDisk card will be in my mail today.

wm4

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
No, no thank you, frelling. I'll just transfer them to an off-device, air-gapped harddrive. We can talk about cloud security later.

Saaay... jeez, that's not a sales pitch, is it?

Naaa; couldn't be. Not here.