09-28-2016 07:22 AM
56 123
tools
    Did the update. ONLY thing I notice is that now when I have a headset in and am on a phone call, it auto mutes me while I am surfing...responding to textm etc, while the phone call is "minimized". When I am muted the phone icon in the notification area blinks. I have to bring the call up on full screen and hit the MIC button to unmute. So, I can't do ANYTHING else now while on a phone call because it just mutes me.

I can't find a setting anywhere. HELP please! Anyone else seeing this?
    09-12-2016 03:40 PM
    Anyone, how is mm 6 doing with Facebook links?
    09-12-2016 09:58 PM
    Mine just downloaded, but as much as I've been wanting this, I'm hesitant to try it before I hear about other people's experiences. The 5.0.1 update hosed my phone for about 9 months while I waited for 5.1.1
    09-12-2016 11:29 PM
    Well, I threw caution to the wind and did it. I do have a couple of backup phones if it's a disaster.

The result: no problems at all.

It's hard to even tell that I even upgraded the OS. So far this is what I have found is new:

• WiFi Calling (most obvious because of a pop-up message about it)
    • Video Call
    • Samsung app icons are rounded, not square
    • Slight change to brightness slider
    • It's possible that the finger print reader works better
    • Advanced Messaging (worthless because it only works with recent Samsung and LG phones on AT&T)
    • Google Now on Tap
    • The S-Pen Air command menu is better and lets you add your own apps

I don't see anything about Doze or App Standby and I still don't have the multiple user logins like my $50 Moto E.
    09-13-2016 11:51 AM
    I think I'm getting the update now. The "Device Management" service has been downloading a 'software update' for about an hour or so now (work wi-fi isn't quite as responsive as mine at home). Drum roll please...

** UPDATE ** Android 6... (still updating and optimizing the apps on the device).

What should I expect or look out for?
    09-14-2016 09:47 AM
    Battery life was horrible after I did the update. I reset the phone last night and installed all my apps. Surprisingly, I only lost 2% overnight for standby. So far last couple hours of usage battery has been great.
    09-14-2016 11:10 AM
    So it seems the battery is draining faster than it's being charged, it won't hold a Wifi connection (which is not unusual given the history of my office location), and MMS group messages don't come in thru Google Hangouts (which I have used for a while now). Ideas?
    09-14-2016 11:51 AM
    The universe is mocking me. I gave AT&T loads of crap for taking so effing long on this update, and upgraded to the Note 7. I just turned it in for a loaner S7 Edge until the new Note 7's are released, and now my Note 4 gets updated.
    09-14-2016 12:23 PM
    @Bobxxz: what do you mean by "reset the phone and installed my apps"??
    09-14-2016 12:40 PM
    @Bobxxz: what do you mean by "reset the phone and installed my apps"??
    Factory reset/wiped the phone. Then reinstalled apps that I mostly used. I did not do any backup.
    09-14-2016 01:48 PM
    Well, so far, so good. After an initial bit of 'unsettledness', it seems to hold on to the Wi-Fi connection here at the office a bit better--which is no small feat--and I like the "on-the-charger-dimmed-view-but-not-totally-off" mode. Is that the "Doze" mode that I read a blurb about?
    09-15-2016 08:39 AM
    I wish I had not accidentally allowed it to download.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=5421537
    09-15-2016 07:14 PM
    The update fried my sister's Note 4. It never made it past the ATT logo and blue led. Finally it shut completely off and will not come on. She had to take it to ATT. It had even ruined her SD card. They made her use her husband's upgrade. She got a s7 active to use until November when she can upgrade to the Note 7. He'll get the active then.

I wasn't able to backup everything when it said it would install. I was in the middle of backing up! Why do they force install updates?
    09-16-2016 11:20 PM
    @bobxxz

Is your battery still performing well? Mine is doing terrible after the upgrade. I did a factory reset over the weekend, but still the same. Other than that, the phone performs better than ever, but the battery is killing me!
    09-19-2016 03:03 PM
    @bobxxz

Is your battery still performing well? Mine is doing terrible after the upgrade. I did a factory reset over the weekend, but still the same. Other than that, the phone performs better than ever, but the battery is killing me!
    Mine isn't doing well either. According to Gsam it's Google Playstore and Google Play services.
    09-20-2016 03:27 AM
    @bobxxz

It's doing alright but not lasting as long as before. I used to be able to get over 4-5 hours SOT. Now I am only able to go 3 and half hour SOT. I may buy another anker battery to see if it improves.
    09-20-2016 02:31 PM
    +1. I didn't even realize the update from AT&T was a full OS upgrade. I thought it was just another security patch. I'm getting ready to purchase a car with Android Auto and I'm concerned it won't work now. Lollipop 5.1.0 was certified as working with the car I'm planning to buy.

I'm also having battery life problems since the update. I always had my screen brightness turned up, BT on, and power saving mode disabled before the update and could still make it through an entire day with normal usage. Now, even with the screen turned down and power saving mode enabled I'm only getting 1/2 to 3/4 of the battery life I had before.
    09-20-2016 05:42 PM
    An update. I broke down and spent an entire day doing a factory reset then rebuilding my phone. I could not get any of the backup apps including Helium to back up my app data - so that was a day of pain I don't want to relive anytime in the near future.

Basic outcome: no change and I'm liking MM less each day:
    - battery life is about 50% of what I had with the latest security update just prior to MM install
    - Bluetooth radio range seems to be 1/2-1/3 of what it was before. I can hold the phone in my hand, turn my back to my Bluetooth speaker and get only about 10 feet before it starts dropping out. I used to get 40'
    - having screen timeout issues, it's not following my settings and staying on too long. I've even turned the screen off, out the phone in it's belt clip, and minutes later pulled the phone to find it quite warm to the touch and the screen active
    - 2-3 record per day on it's own. The phone will be cleared of active apps & windows, sitting in my console or on my desk and I hear those wondrous AT&T boot up tones. It's even happened once when I was reading Gmail.

The only positive thing I have to say about MM is the addition of WiFi calling. I've actually had occasion to use it while traveling this week where cell coverage was non-existent
    09-21-2016 12:10 PM
    Battery life was horrible after I did the update. I reset the phone last night and installed all my apps. Surprisingly, I only lost 2% overnight for standby. So far last couple hours of usage battery has been great.
    @bobxxz

An update. I broke down and spent an entire day doing a factory reset then rebuilding my phone. I could not get any of the backup apps including Helium to back up my app data - so that was a day of pain I don't want to relive anytime in the near future.

Basic outcome: no change and I'm liking MM less each day:
    - battery life is about 50% of what I had with the latest security update just prior to MM install
    - Bluetooth radio range seems to be 1/2-1/3 of what it was before. I can hold the phone in my hand, turn my back to my Bluetooth speaker and get only about 10 feet before it starts dropping out. I used to get 40'
    - having screen timeout issues, it's not following my settings and staying on too long. I've even turned the screen off, out the phone in it's belt clip, and minutes later pulled the phone to find it quite warm to the touch and the screen active
    - 2-3 record per day on it's own. The phone will be cleared of active apps & windows, sitting in my console or on my desk and I hear those wondrous AT&T boot up tones. It's even happened once when I was reading Gmail.

The only positive thing I have to say about MM is the addition of WiFi calling. I've actually had occasion to use it while traveling this week where cell coverage was non-existent
    I have the same draining battery issue as you guys. I did wipe the cache partition....still bad. I have NOT done a factory reset yet, as apparently some of you it didn't help. ALL that setup again just makes me wince.

I attached a screenshot of my battery this morning. I had taken it off the charger about 130pm the afternoon before. In that time I had light phone use, light text, light music stream over wifi. I did watch (2) 50 minute netflix episodes at night. By 7am this is what I was left with. On a sidenote, with Lollipop I could watch (4) 50 minute episodes...sometimes a bit more...and by the 7am morning hour I usually had 30% or so left.

I DO have a 6,000 mAh extended battery from Hyperion. It's fairly newer as well. Should "Android System" be this high?

AT&T N910A Marshmallow Update Out Now-screenshot_2016-09-21-06-47-02.jpg
    09-21-2016 03:10 PM
    I was so excited to hear that the AT&T Note 4 was going to get Marshmallow, I think we were the last ones to get it? Well now I am horrified! The battery life is now worse then my HTC M7 from 2013! I used to be able to listen to music over BT at work for 7-8 hours and have around 20% left by the time I got home. Now my phone dies after 5 hours! The update has been a cruel joke. Has this been a problem with Note 4's on Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint?

I love my phone but the battery life now has made it unreliable compared to what I was used to before the update.
    09-21-2016 03:31 PM
    This is today. 4 hours off the charger. Very light use. Sat idle on the table from 330 until this screenshot. Already in the 70s?? Something has to be done!
    Attached Thumbnails AT&T N910A Marshmallow Update Out Now-screenshot_2016-09-21-17-07-03.jpg  
    09-21-2016 07:40 PM
    Battery life is horrible. New Note4, updated to MM right after I received it so I have no frame of reference for how good 5.1.1 was. Disabled all the obvious stuff including Facebook. Thinking of going back to 5.1.1 and not updating for a while to MM to see how the battery life is.
    09-22-2016 04:46 PM
    My battery is horrible too. Getting worse everyday. I switch out three batteries so it isn't the battery itself. I put a fresh battery in and only got 4 hours out of it. I used to get 12. It dropped 20% in the first two hours after I put it in and it was idle the whole time. The screen was not on. This is getting beyond ridiculous. I would post screen shots but it's down to 21% and dropping.
    09-23-2016 03:30 AM
    Same here with the terrible battery life. This is unacceptable and we should expect to receive an update to fix the glitches.

ONE MORE thing I noticed is that my WIRED HEADSET is now NOT WORKING after the MM update. Anyone else have this issue? Please check if you have wired a wired headset. I spent the last 3 hours troubleshooting this with no success. I also read that other non-GN4 phone users who updated to MM and had the same issue. When I plug the headset in, there is no notification showing the headset is plugged-in. I can control the volume with the headset but the sound coming into the headset during calls is TOO LOW AND DISTORTED and the sound still comes out of the phone speaker while the headset is plugged-in. This worked perfectly before the update. Thanks.
    09-26-2016 12:45 AM
    I got 6.0.1 a few weeks ago but it seems ATT kicked out another update today. I can't update till I hit Wi-Fi when I get home. Anyone try it yet? Does it fix this terrible battery?
    09-26-2016 12:58 PM
56 123