Next 'Brain Lock' Question - WTF is up with the SD card & pics, etc.?

wm4

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
My Lords, can anyone tell me what the deal is with "storage", the SD card, and moving stuff to it?

I have a Verizon Note 4 and a newish 32GB SD card I installed when the old one got corrupted.

I gave it no thought until it occurred to me recently that I'd accumulated a whole bunch of photos, and I might need to check on the storage. That's when the mystery started:

- "Storage" (in Settings) now shows me 'internal storage'; tapping it gives the the details &f current figures for both and remaining capacity, and SD card.

- tapping 'sd card' only gives a choice to "mount/unmount" & the total amount of storage used/remaining.

Here's the question: how do I move existing photos from internal storage to the SD card, and insure that future photos will be sent to the SD card by default?

I have looked around inside the camera settings and find no way to designate default storage. I also find no way whatsoever to move extant items from internal storage to the SD card - it appears to be not a choice for individual photos or for albums.

Within the "Camera", "Gallery" functions, and the two photo editing apps I have, I find no way to move photos or albums to the SD card, or to designate storage.

"Permissions" for "Camera" details appear to merely allow use of the SD card; this is not even a choice for "gallery".

Has Samsung removed the ability to specify storage?

Thank you.:mad:

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
To change the default storage location for camera photos, it's done within the Camera app's setting: tap the Gear, then more settings (...), then Storage.

To move images from internal to SD, one way that I know of is through My Files in your app drawer. Just navigate through internal storage, select the folder containing your DCIMs, and move that to your SD Card (cut and paste)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-24-08-29-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-24-08-29-56.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 21

DCBamBam

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
To change the default storage location for camera photos, it's done within the Camera app's setting: tap the Gear, then more settings (...), then Storage.

To move images from internal to SD, one way that I know of is through My Files in your app drawer. Just navigate through internal storage, select the folder containing your DCIMs, and move that to your SD Card (cut and paste)

I was goin to post the exact same answer but my problem is i know how to change the default storage location, but for some odd reason it changes back to original default location and that my sd card which is a 64gb sandisk failed or something my phone note 4 att 6.0 is able to recognize it and i can play music but i cant transfer anything from my phone to my sd card or vise versa.......this is random to me i have a lot of pics and music on my sd card n dont want to format it just yet....also wen i delete a video i had recorded with my camera just before this situation happen it doesn't delete i am giving the option to delete it but a few seconds later its still there..........WTF is GOIN ONNNN????

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Two more things to watch out for: if you insert a new SD card, the Camera app will switch default storage to the new card without asking permission, though it will notify you with a toast message if you happen to be paying attention. Here's the problem: sometimes the phone will report that the card has been removed and a little later will report re-insertion even though the phone hasn't been opened. This results in immediate change of camera default storage to the external card. It's easy to switch back once you notice.

I thought that the bogus dismount/mount was a mechanical problem, maybe caused by vibration, but switching cards and switching phones did not do much to fix it. I found that reformatting the card IN THE PHONE made it happen less frequently. It hasn't happened since upgrading to MM.

Second thing: if you are defaulting to external storage and you tap and hold the camera button to take a rapid-fire series of ten pics they will be stored to phone memory notwithstanding your default.

Last edited:

wm4

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Duard. Man, it's not enough that I am terrible at navigation...there's also hidden system pitfalls...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX