strange horizontal line on top of the display Note 4

BhaktaPrahlad

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone!
Just received a used note 4 purchased from ebay.
I see a strange horizontal line on top of the display. What is that? can it be fixed?

R85_OIjVtfI.jpg

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Not seeing a horizontal line either, maybe you're mistaking the notification bar's color difference to that of the wallpaper?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Probably screen burn in from the notification bar. The previous owner probably ran the phone full brightness all the time.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't know of any apps to correct it. There are a few on playstore that supposedly massage pixels, but not sure if they work on amoled screens. If it bothers you, you might contact the seller for some remedial solutions.

Just fyi... this is what a good screen looks like... (from my 22 month old Note 4)

Edited... originally posted a "screenshot". Here's a photo. (Disregard the fingerprints!)

IMG_8304.jpg

Last edited:

GRIMWALD

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
In your display settings, try changing to a different screen mode, it won't "Fix" the issue but it may make it less noticeable.

GRIM

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Definitely Screen burn.

I inherited my wife's Verizon Note 4 a few months ago when she got a new phone. It had similar screen burn at the notification bar as well as a few of the home screen icons could be seen. Didn't affect the function, but drove me nuts. I really loved the phone other than the screen burn. I was just getting to the point that I couldn't take it anymore and was considering getting another phone.

I a WTH moment one day and stopped by my local Verizon store, told them my screen was shorting out and showed the guy the screen burn. I knew from online research that typically screen burn isn't covered, but I didn't tell them that. The guy at the store looked at it, pulled the battery, restarted, flipped around a few screens and apps, and then said it was definitely broken.

I got a replacement Note 4 (refurbished) delivered the next day. Perfect screen and has run perfectly. I was surprised how well it worked out.

T

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
There are apps that will attempt to fix screen burn - but most of them work by weakening all of the AMOLED pixels so they are equally damaged - basically this means you end up with a screen that is noticeably dimmer overall, instead of one where only parts of it are dim. I don't recommend fixing it that way.

This is, unfortunately, the nature of AMOLED - it burns in over time. I've had my Note 4 for about 20 months now and it's showing some signs of it.There is no way to make an AMOLED pixel brighter short of replacing the screen.

I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing, though. Your photos show diagonal lines/stripes on your screen in addition to the horizontal band at the top. Are the diagonal stripes what you mean to refer to? They look like a photography artifact - but are you really seeing diagonal stripes? Because that's rather unlikely to be burn-in unless a previous owner had bright wallpaper with diagonal stripes and left it on a lot.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Definitely Screen burn.

I inherited my wife's Verizon Note 4 a few months ago when she got a new phone. It had similar screen burn at the notification bar as well as a few of the home screen icons could be seen. Didn't affect the function, but drove me nuts. I really loved the phone other than the screen burn. I was just getting to the point that I couldn't take it anymore and was considering getting another phone.

I a WTH moment one day and stopped by my local Verizon store, told them my screen was shorting out and showed the guy the screen burn. I knew from online research that typically screen burn isn't covered, but I didn't tell them that. The guy at the store looked at it, pulled the battery, restarted, flipped around a few screens and apps, and then said it was definitely broken.

I got a replacement Note 4 (refurbished) delivered the next day. Perfect screen and has run perfectly. I was surprised how well it worked out.

T
Interesting story. How old was the phone when you took it in? Was it still in the 1 yr warranty time frame?

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This was my wife's phone before i inherited it. I don't believe it was still in the one year warranty, but it might have been close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007