Anyone know of a good app that will interrupt notifications? I hate my phone dinging for every notification. I would like them to all be silent or not even appear, but allow just a few apps that I select to have notifications, kind of like a white list. I want a notification for my garage opener or an sms, but I dont want a notification to ding from cnn.

I use to use Mega Sound but it doesnt seem to be working as well on the marshmallow update.
    10-28-2016 07:24 AM
    Anyone know of a good app that will interrupt notifications? I hate my phone dinging for every notification. I would like them to all be silent or not even appear, but allow just a few apps that I select to have notifications, kind of like a white list. I want a notification for my garage opener or an sms, but I dont want a notification to ding from cnn.

I use to use Mega Sound but it doesnt seem to be working as well on the marshmallow update.
    Try Agent by Coleridge apps
    10-28-2016 08:13 AM

I prefer my notifications to be like you want them, and at least on a Verizon version of the Note 4 on 6.0.1 I can do that without using any app.

In Settings, Sound and Notification, Notification ringtone I choose "Silent" as my ringtone. This should silence all notification sounds unless an overriding notification ringtone has been set in an app. Then in the settings for each app I want to hear notifications from I set a notification ringtone to override the default. If an app insists on playing a notification sound despite this, I may turn off notifications completely for that app. This method may not work for all apps as some don't have a setting for an overriding notification ringtone and always use the default, and others not only don't have a setting but always override the default with their own notification sound. But this works well enough for me to keep most notifications silent when I want them to be.

Larry
    10-28-2016 12:07 PM
    With many apps, you can change the notification settings from within the app itself. Open the app and go to settings/notifications. Most apps will give you a variety of options. I set a lot of my apps to only vibrate when there's a notification. No dings or whistles, no popup banners. Just a quick vibrate.

You can also go into your phone settings and go to Sounds & Notifications/App Notifications. This will show you a list of every single app on your phone and will give you the option to turn off notifications completely. I use this for apps that I know I never want to get notifications from....like Google+. I don't use it and I don't care what's going on with it. I have no need to ever get a notification about it. So I turned them off completely.

There will also be an option to change the priority level of notifications. By default, the notification shade displays notifications in order received with the most recent at the top. If you've got 20 different notifications, you might not see the text message or missed call that's hiding in the middle. Set them as priority and they'll always be at the top of the shade. There's plenty of customization options for notifications without installing additional apps.
    10-29-2016 09:57 AM