Thinking about getting a Note 4

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I have an LG G4 now and have had the Optimus G, and G3. I have no issues with LG phones and have had the Samsung Galaxy S2 prior to switching to LG. I wanted to get some thoughts on whether or not getting an new Note 4 would be crazy? I've always envied you Note owners and your fancy s-pen. Anyway, my G4 is on Android 6.0 and it has come to my attention that Sprint's Note 4 is on 6.0.1 so I'd probably lose out on Nougat, but I'm probably not getting it on my G4 anyway. Am I crazy? It's a new phone, not used so no warranty issues and I subscribe to Assurion anyway. The Note 5 with its non-removable battery was never eben in consideration for me.

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
The only time I've had WiFi issues with my note 4 is when I turn on battery saver mode. Other than that WiFi is fine

anon(9144744)

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm still madly in love with my note 4. I'm forever torn between it and my iPhone 6s plus. I keep swapping back and forth. I'm keeping this until the note 8. Hopefully Samsung will wise up and give us removable battery again. Make it more like the Note 4 which in my opinion is the best Note they ever made

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I agree. I'm back with the Note4 since I have to return my N7. There is a few lag issues with the 6.0.1. But since I download wakelock from the play store I'm hoping that helps out.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
If you REALLY MUST have the SPen then go ahead and get it, its a great phone, I've enjoyed mine for the past 2years now. :)
But it is not without its faults, it can heat up quite a bit and may not get Android Nougat.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Tmo Note 4 since Dec 2014. Bought brand new. I still love this phone.

Had GPS issues so I swapped out my original one and the replacement one's GPS works great.

I had screen burn in on the first one and this one has it too. The notification bar is a different color than the rest of the screen. Only noticeable when watching videos and if I look for it.

Original battery would turn off the phone at 14%. Bought two Anker batteries and its working great.

I also have my phone rooted with a custom rom. I will probably replace this phone if the Note 8 has a removable battery. Until then I'm keeping this thing. I would recommend it.

How much would it cost you?

Baggie_Saiyan

May 6, 2016
Visit site
It is worth it for sure, I know a lot of folks have had problems after the MM update but one big FR before or after updating should fix, I FR after I updates and everything seemed to clear all these little problems like lag I was experiencing gone. Battery life is as strong as ever and wifi is really good plus good lock! Removable battery is a god send. It is a very powerful device and I am sure you'll love it if you get it, Note 7 looked to be the the true successor to the Note 4, shame what happened I would have upgraded to that in a few months too ah well N4 will tide me until N8 lol

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If the Note 4 had 64GB internal, I would not bother looking. Do not like using integrated or apps2sd.

Out of app storage. Good on the media side with sd though. On the other hand, I prefer 32GB internal and sd slot over 128gb Pixel. My Note 4 has the free 256GB sd from my Note 7.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Tmo Note 4 since Dec 2014. Bought brand new. I still love this phone.

Had GPS issues so I swapped out my original one and the replacement one's GPS works great.

I had screen burn in on the first one and this one has it too. The notification bar is a different color than the rest of the screen. Only noticeable when watching videos and if I look for it.

Original battery would turn off the phone at 14%. Bought two Anker batteries and its working great.

I also have my phone rooted with a custom rom. I will probably replace this phone if the Note 8 has a removable battery. Until then I'm keeping this thing. I would recommend it.

How much would it cost you?

$369 brand new from Amazon. A bit pricey, but Sprint wants $350 on a 2 year contract for the LG V20, or nearly $800 outright. I'm thinking it could satisfy my itch for a new phone for at least a year and there would be no contractual obligations. Also, a plus that it's on a slightly newer version of Android than my LG G4 which came out a year later 😕.
I've never had a Note but had a Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G touch). I guess the only thing really holding me back is the Sprint compatible bands as far as carrier aggregation goes so I may be limited in LTE speed due to bands it wasn't provisioned for back in 2014. I've seen anywhere from single digits up to +100 Mbps on my G4.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I've had mine for two years and holding on for another year until the note 8 comes out. My only issue right now is the battery but I'm going to get a new one soon.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I keep thinking about upgrading to something, but there's nothing else out there that checks all my boxes anywhere near as well. I'm on an AT&T plan where I can upgrade at full subsidy as often as I want, and I've had this thing for a couple months shy of two years, with no sign of any "Note 4 Killers" on the horizon at this point.

The V20 is the closest, and it looks fantastic, but it's not $375 more fantastic (subsidized price with fees) than my Note 4. Nothing else that has come out has even seriously tempted me (well, the Note 7 came darned close, but for me a sealed battery on a very expensive device is a no-starter, and then there was the whole explody thing).

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I keep thinking about upgrading to something, but there's nothing else out there that checks all my boxes anywhere near as well. I'm on an AT&T plan where I can upgrade at full subsidy as often as I want, and I've had this thing for a couple months shy of two years, with no sign of any "Note 4 Killers" on the horizon at this point.

The V20 is the closest, and it looks fantastic, but it's not $375 more fantastic (subsidized price with fees) than my Note 4. Nothing else that has come out has even seriously tempted me (well, the Note 7 came darned close, but for me a sealed battery on a very expensive device is a no-starter, and then there was the whole explody thing).

Yeah, that price on the V20. I understand it on the Note due to licensing the digitizer and stylus tech, but the V20 price is nuts.

How is the fingerprint sensor on the Note 4? Do you use it and does it have a high success rate? Asking you and anyone else that would like to comment on it.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
How is the fingerprint sensor on the Note 4? Do you use it and does it have a high success rate? Asking you and anyone else that would like to comment on it.

I use it everyday, works like a charm. Improvement over the S5 but still requires to swipe down. I'm able to use both my index finger and thumb no problem. Once you finish registering your print, you'll have a good idea how to swipe with great accuracy.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The key to using the fingerprint reader is to swipe "lightly" when registering your prints, and also while unlocking the phone. If you use a lot of pressure during registration, then distortion may occur in the print, and then you'll have to attempt to apply the same distortion when unlocking. Swipe lightly and you'll have great success. Another thing... if you use a case, register with the case on the phone as swipe angle will change if you register without the case, and then attempt to unlock with the case on.

Here's a video I posted awhile back of me unlocking my Note 4. I believe the success rate was 96% but can't remember and I'm too lazy to count. Ok, I counted... 2 fails out of 25 attempts... success rate is 92%... still pretty good!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F164635950&token=YVpf4vli

Forgot to mention... keep the reader clean.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I use it many times a day. It works okay. About once a week it misses 5 scans in a row and I have to wait the 30 seconds - and if my luck is that bad I just enter my password. Usually by the third try it has scanned successfully. About half the time I get it on the first go.

It's not perfect but it's more than adequate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678