12-13-2016 01:10 AM
53 123
tools
    I've had this phone since March 2015. Everything was going fine and dandy until 4 days ago, Wi-Fi was on so naturally updates start coming on.

I have a 64gbsdhc card which is working great.

Issues that have arose in the last 4 days:
    • Phone reboots itself randomly.
    • Phone reboots while having only 1 app
    • Phone is lagging tremendously. For example, I was watching a Youtube video, and someone was calling me. The small green call box was on, and I repeatively pressed ANSWER, but it kept ringing ringtone playing while the youtube video playing but no response and phone call missed.
    • Phone reboots while charging.
    • Phone keeps freezing from minor use (text message, calculator)
    • Sometimes it stays on the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 opening screen and freezes. Sometimes it makes it to the AT&T logo and then freezes.
    • Lately it's been popping up on the Android screen, says Downloading, Do Not Close Target.

I have to take the battery out for it to work, and even then it's like 75/25 goes to home screen or freezes on turning on. I also noticed for the first time since I've had this phone, it would say SYSTEM UI NOT RESPONDING and close itself.

All of this has happened in the last few days and it's annoying! I was gonna get a Note 7 but we all know how that turned out... now I have to consider iPhone 7+ or Blackberry Priv.
    11-20-2016 12:44 AM
    Have you already tried wiping the cache partition? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28932
    11-20-2016 03:24 AM
    Have you already tried wiping the cache partition? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28932
    I have not.

What will this clear out? My photos are on the SD card I believe. But will this delete my texts?
    11-20-2016 04:44 PM
    But will this delete my texts?
    It shouldn't. This only deletes cached data files.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-20-2016 06:26 PM
    May or may not help.
    My note 4 started to run very sluggish and warm after its most recent update from TMO. They introduced a wifi glitch that can be fixed.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post5567380
    Post 4 is my description and post 6 is a fix.
    If you switch wifi on and off this could also be happening to your device. Worth a check.
    huntnyc likes this.
    11-21-2016 04:18 PM
    May or may not help.
    My note 4 started to run very sluggish and warm after its most recent update from TMO. They introduced a wifi glitch that can be fixed.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post5567380
    Post 4 is my description and post 6 is a fix.
    If you switch wifi on and off this could also be happening to your device. Worth a check.
    I don't see a Privacy and Safety.

I see Private Mode, Safety Assistance.
    11-21-2016 07:24 PM
    Well I managed to do it!

So far the phone isn't lagging and not resetting itself!

Looks like I found a cure!
    11-21-2016 11:31 PM
    Well, the workaround worked the first day I tried it.

Now back to issues.
    11-23-2016 12:16 PM
    I found after a reboot the setting for always on scanning wifi for location was back to enabled. Not sure if it has happened every reboot or not as the Note 4 is now my back up device.
    11-23-2016 01:19 PM
    Started the phone in Safe mode yet?
    11-23-2016 06:53 PM
    Will this work on an att note 4 also? Just wondering if it's the same 3 buttons ect. Thanks in advance. I got one of the note 4s with the battery issue unfortunately so it shuts off and says it's dead at 50% battery started at 20% and has slowly gotten worse got a new battery and now it just won't charge past 87% I googled and it's a common issue that was never addressed or fixed so I thought I'd give this a try
    11-26-2016 08:14 PM
    Unfortunately it looks like my phone finally gave in.
    11-26-2016 11:28 PM
    Will this work on an att note 4 also?
    Those steps should still work for the AT&T variant.
    11-27-2016 02:39 AM
    Those steps should still work for the AT&T variant.
    The phone doesn't come on anymore.

Not the battery. I used 2 of my brother's extra batteries, nope.
    11-27-2016 03:38 PM
    Sounds like it might be a hardware issue, then -- power button or motherboard. You'd probably have to bring it to a repair shop. Sorry!
    11-27-2016 11:59 PM
    This sounds like what's been happening to me. Started yesterday.

Funny thing is that this is a replacement for a note 4 that was doing the same thing. One difference is that it was doing the super quick low warning reboot battery drain thing and eventually just didn't turn back on.

I've factory reset and cleared cache. Bare bones apps and it's still freezing and rebooting. Haven't fully confirmed but it seems like it's worse when using Google apps.
    11-30-2016 01:24 AM
    This sounds like what's been happening to me. Started yesterday.
    Does the phone hang in recovery mode also, or can you leave it there without problems? Just curious if it's the OS messing up.
    11-30-2016 02:55 AM
    Does the phone hang in recovery mode also, or can you leave it there without problems? Just curious if it's the OS messing up.
    Not sure what you mean.
    11-30-2016 08:58 AM
    Sounds very much like a hardware issue.
    obiesarmywife likes this.
    11-30-2016 09:47 AM
    I don't think it's the OS at least for my battery issue because I recently upgraded to MM and it still does it but the freezing rebooting thing I dobt know fortunately mine doesn't do that. I wish I hadn't been unlucky because hubby has the exact same phone and his is great doesn't do this. But when we had our note 2s he was the one that had the phone with the WiFi issue that some note 2s have now with the 4s I get the known battery issue which sucks since the note 5 has no SD slot or removable battery. Thank God my birthday is in 12 days and I'm getting a new phone just have to decide if I'm sticking with the note and going 5 anyway or going with the s7 or going back to iPhone with however I really don't want to resort back to iPhone... Any suggestions??
    11-30-2016 10:04 AM
    This device is still under a year ,I believe that asuron replacements get a year warranty so I could go that route but being that this is happening less than a year in, what's to say that my replacement won't do it too ? Hopefully I think by then I'll be eligible for a ln upgrade. Pixel xl or the v20 are looking pretty nice.
    11-30-2016 11:02 AM
    ""Phone reboots itself randomly.
    Phone reboots while having only 1 app
    Phone is lagging tremendously.
    Phone reboots while charging.
    Phone keeps freezing from minor use (text message, calculator)
    Sometimes it stays on the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 opening screen and freezes. Sometimes it makes it to the AT&T logo and then freezes""

So, add me to the list. Same sort of thing, just started randomly rebooting a couple of days ago. Freezing, lagging etc. It will happen in any app I'm in, no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it will just keep rebooting, over and over a few times.
    Also, this is a replacement device for one that did the exact same thing. I had the original for over a year, and this replacement for only 6 months.
    How is that this can happen? I've wiped cache, switched batteries etc. Going to try a wipe tonight, but I'm pretty sure it won't fix it.
    I have 2 months left on my square trade warranty. What's to say the next replacement won't do the same thing eventually.
    Ugh. So frustrated.
    MasturB likes this.
    11-30-2016 11:31 AM
    Not sure what you mean.
    If you boot the phone into recovery and leave it there. Does the phone still freeze? Can you continually navigate the recovery menu without the phone freezing up? Not sure if it would tell you much, but even in recovery, I would think the CPU, GPU still needs to be running. If it was hardware, which would most probably involve the CPU, then I would think that even in recovery, the phone should freeze. If it doesn't freeze, then it might be a corrupted OS.

In your case, since the phone is under warranty, I wouldn't do anything to it, but if it weren't under warranty, you might think about reflashing the OS in ODIN, or having someone (like Bestbuy) reflash the phone for you. You might even be able to revert it to LP 5.1.1 if the firmware was available. If you're on ATT, then more than likely you wouldn't be able to easily get the firmware.

If this was happening to my phone, I would reflash it. But that's just what I would do at this point.
    11-30-2016 02:31 PM
    ""Phone reboots itself randomly.
    Phone reboots while having only 1 app
    Phone is lagging tremendously.
    Phone reboots while charging.
    Phone keeps freezing from minor use (text message, calculator)
    Sometimes it stays on the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 opening screen and freezes. Sometimes it makes it to the AT&T logo and then freezes""

So, add me to the list. Same sort of thing, just started randomly rebooting a couple of days ago. Freezing, lagging etc. It will happen in any app I'm in, no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it will just keep rebooting, over and over a few times.
    Also, this is a replacement device for one that did the exact same thing. I had the original for over a year, and this replacement for only 6 months.
    How is that this can happen? I've wiped cache, switched batteries etc. Going to try a wipe tonight, but I'm pretty sure it won't fix it.
    I have 2 months left on my square trade warranty. What's to say the next replacement won't do the same thing eventually.
    Ugh. So frustrated.
    Sounds like you're seeing a lot of problems. Did you happen to take note of the battery percentage when these things happen? The reason I'm asking is that although you've swapped batteries, it could still be a battery problem. I know it sounds far fetched, but I own 4 spare batteries. One of these batteries will cause random reboots, and it always happens when the battery has about 47% left. My phone doesn't get a random reboot if I use the other 3 batteries no matter what the percentage is. However, as soon as I start using this one battery, the phone runs perfectly until it reaches 47%, and then the phone reboots on it's own. After that first reboot, the phone will reboot again randomly and cause all kinds of issues until I swap out it out. Needless to say, I don't use this battery anymore.

It may not be your battery, but if your phone runs fine for a period of time, and then starts doing some weird stuff, take note of the battery percentage and see if after a full charge, the same thing happens when the battery again hits that percentage.

Of course, if it's constantly rebooting no matter what you do, and at anytime, then the problem could be much deeper.
    11-30-2016 02:57 PM
    I don't think it's the OS at least for my battery issue because I recently upgraded to MM and it still does it but the freezing rebooting thing I dobt know fortunately mine doesn't do that. I wish I hadn't been unlucky because hubby has the exact same phone and his is great doesn't do this. But when we had our note 2s he was the one that had the phone with the WiFi issue that some note 2s have now with the 4s I get the known battery issue which sucks since the note 5 has no SD slot or removable battery. Thank God my birthday is in 12 days and I'm getting a new phone just have to decide if I'm sticking with the note and going 5 anyway or going with the s7 or going back to iPhone with however I really don't want to resort back to iPhone... Any suggestions??
    Where are you buying your batteries? Are they OEM? 3rd party vendor? ebay?

What you're describing points to bad batteries. It's not uncommon to have a battery die at 50%. I know this because I own one that'll randomly reboot my phone at 47% if I use it. You can read what I wrote in my reply to hamsterwheel about my battery experience in post #24.
    11-30-2016 03:08 PM
53 123