Curious... does anyone "really" like Marshmallow???

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
First off, I love Kitkat on my Note 4! I hated the first iteration of Lollipop... it was absolutely terrible, and made me revert to Kitkat in less than a day! LP 5.1.1 still has issues as far as I'm concerned, but it's way better than 5.0. In fact, except for a few things (some still major to me), it's closer to Kitkat now. Marshmallow, on the other hand is an entirely different stupidity! Did they release this OS just to p*** me off! LOL!

1) The folder icons suck!
2) The App manager no longer has tabs
3) Endless scrolling of the App manager just to find the apps you installed
4) You have to enter Dev Options just to see/access running apps
5) Other things!

Why would they release an OS that makes it harder to manage your phone? Who the heck designs this stuff?

By the way, I just recently bought a spare Note 4 that was supposed to come to me with Kitkat. It came with MM. Thank you lying ebayer! I was going to return it but too much hassle, so it took me all of 1 day to revert it to LP 5.1.1. The bad part is I can't revert it to Kitkat! I even spoke to Samsung and they told me "they" can't revert it either. And the reason... because of the "innovation" changes in the higher OS'. Hahahahahahaha! What a joke! It's not that they can't... it's that they won't! Next stop... root the spare!

Just ranting folks!

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Haha, good onya mate! Get it off ya chest! I quite like it myself, you have to poke around in there and some things you have to adjust from several different places.
I use Nova prime, so the skin is not known to me. But yes, this one is not for beginners, it's easy to lock yourself out of stuff and not know how you did it! Different strokes.... I love my S7, waiting for the S8 and Nougat... :)

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Curious... does anyone "really" like Marshmallow???

Not on my Note 4. It looks and feels like Lollipop, which I disliked!

I put Nova Launcher on it but the skin is still the same (unlike Note 5 where we can choose themes!).

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I wasn't a big fan of Lollipop when it first came out...I constantly referred to it as lollipoop...but it grew on me and overall I liked it. I loved Kit Kat, especially the "dark theme" it had.

Marshmallow is ok, but agree with the op....there are too many changes that seem to have complicated things rather than simplify them.

1. Can no longer opt to set a function as 1 time or default. I actually hate this.

2. Like op said, no tabs in the app manager so I can't see the list of apps that can be moved to SD card (or which ones are currently on it). This might be my least favorite thing about M.

So far the only real benefit to M for me had been the improved air command.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I use Nova prime
I owned Nova Prime for a short time until I realized you couldn't custom sort the App drawer icons. Supposedly Nova 5.x will have this feature (per the dev), but this has been said for over a year or more with nothing showing up so far.

1. Can no longer opt to set a function as 1 time or default. I actually hate this.
Yes, this falls in my category "5) Other things!" , along with having to enter Settings > Storage just to eject USB devices. Stupid, stupid, stupid! What was wrong with the simple pull down of the notification shade to do this?

The only hope is that the carriers will get smart like they did on LP and possibly fix some of this stuff... that is, if this release of MM isn't the final version yet.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
First off, I love Kitkat on my Note 4! I hated the first iteration of Lollipop... it was absolutely terrible, and made me revert to Kitkat in less than a day! LP 5.1.1 still has issues as far as I'm concerned, but it's way better than 5.0. In fact, except for a few things (some still major to me), it's closer to Kitkat now. Marshmallow, on the other hand is an entirely different stupidity! Did they release this OS just to p*** me off! LOL!

1) The folder icons suck!
2) The App manager no longer has tabs
3) Endless scrolling of the App manager just to find the apps you installed
4) You have to enter Dev Options just to see/access running apps
5) Other things!

Why would they release an OS that makes it harder to manage your phone? Who the heck designs this stuff?

By the way, I just recently bought a spare Note 4 that was supposed to come to me with Kitkat. It came with MM. Thank you lying ebayer! I was going to return it but too much hassle, so it took me all of 1 day to revert it to LP 5.1.1. The bad part is I can't revert it to Kitkat! I even spoke to Samsung and they told me "they" can't revert it either. And the reason... because of the "innovation" changes in the higher OS'. Hahahahahahaha! What a joke! It's not that they can't... it's that they won't! Next stop... root the spare!

Just ranting folks!
Every smartphone I've ever owned worked best in the android version it was released in. I dread updates that include a new version of Android. Security updates are essential but unlike 99% of users I prefer NOT getting system updates. In most cases the newest version of Android is better in some way but the phone is designed for and always works best in its initial incarnation.

The above does not apply to Nexus phones. They have no features for a new OS to screw up.

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
From what I recall there wasn't much to "like" other than Doze and app permissions. And even that's a stretch.

It was just an empty update. No Theme Store, no updated Touchwiz, no "cutting edge" features.

It wasn't until I rooted and installed a custom ROM that I actually appreciated Marshmallow.