Hello there, after lurking of and on for several years, I finally made an account because of a variation on a bug that seems to have gotten to a few people out there regarding the finger scanner, however my situation is a bit different from what I have read.

First off, I never set the screen lock to fingerprint, so I can get into the phone just fine, infact the finger prints aren't assigned to lock anything. The problem is that after I registered the print, and the backup password, the phone will accept neither after testing it within five minutes of programing it into the phone. As it stands right now, the finger scanner is basically useless. I have followed the suggestion of going into the application manager, running a force stop and clearing the data, and then resetting the phone, but I have the same issue when I try again. My suspicion is that the data somehow got corrupted as I have no idea what would cause it to give the "incorrect backup password" error for something I could just about type out in my sleep. Given that I have full access to the phone other than that one feature, I am hoping there is some kind of back end method to resetting that one feature back to factory settings without wiping the entire phone.

It is currently linked to an AT&T sim card, and doing a factory reset on the phone would require reprogramming the phone to allow the sim card to work properly, as it was unable to send or receive data (calls were just fine) until it was manually configured to work with the card. If a factory reset is my only option, that would mean redoing everything required to get the phone to work with the carrier's system again.

TL;DR, Rundown as follows:

*Finger scanner not recognizing print or correct backup password.
    *Phone completely accessible aside from trying to wipe scanner data to reprogram/Finger Scanner not assigned to anything.
    *Applications>Application manager>All>Fingerprints>Force Stop & Clear Data + Reboot failed.
    *Factory reset would require manual reprogramming of phone for AT&T data access.
    12-04-2016 01:13 AM
    I'm a bit confused. If you've registered to use the fingerprint, and set the password, and neither of them work, then how are you able to have full access to the phone? How are you able to change the locking method (don't know what locking method you're using), as you would need to swipe your fingerprint to get into the menu to change it, (if in fact fingerprint is set as the locking method)? If you select fingerprint as the locking method, you shouldn't be able to get into the phone if both fingerprint and password don't work.

I must be missing something in your post?

EDIT...

Maybe you've tested using the fingerprint to do other things?
    12-04-2016 01:21 PM
    I never set the lock screen encryption to use the finger scanner. I go Personalizaton>Finger Scanner>Fingerprint manager and it asks me to put in the fingerprint/password I tried to put into it, but neither the correct fingerprint, nor correct password works. I am currently using a PIN to lock the phone, and the PIN works flawlessly, it is not associated with the Finger Scanner. And as I said in the first line of the second paragraph; "First off, I never set the screen lock to fingerprint...". I hope I cleared that up.
    12-04-2016 11:16 PM
    Yes, after re-reading your posts several times, I gathered my assumption was incorrect. Try reading through this...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...d-working.html

Not sure it'll help though.
    12-05-2016 12:17 AM
    I am going to state this one more time, everything is stated in my previous posts.

*"Applications>Application manager>All>Fingerprints>Force Stop & Clear Data + Reboot" fails to do anything to resolve the issue.
    *Fingerprint manager requires me to use the fingerprint or backup password.
    *I know which finger I used, the phone does not recognize it.
    *I know the backup password, the phone does not recognize it.

That thread does not help as I already went through the troubleshooting in that thread, which I have already described.
    12-05-2016 09:54 AM
    Well, the only way I can find to get to the registered prints is through the app that registers them. If you can't get in, then you may have to factory reset. Personally, I know no other way. Hopefully someone has a better idea.
    12-05-2016 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD