Verizon Note 4 boot loop after update attempt

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Got a notification for a patch upgrade from Verizon yesterday and today it installed. It looks the the install failed and now the phone is stuck in a boot loop. It tries to boot, shows the splash screen then reboots. The second boot shows the recovery mode text in the upper left corner. It then goes to the Android updating icon which immediately fails and shows "Error" and then reboots, repeating the process.

I can't manually get the phone into recovery mode.

Any suggestions or is this thing bricked?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Bring it into a Verizon store. (A company store, not an independent.) Ask in the tech area if they could please complete the update they sent you. (Since they sent it to you, it's their liability - they broke your phone without even asking you if they could.)

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Tried Verizon phone tech support. No help. It's out of warranty so I'm boned, even though they pushed the update. Still working on angles. I can try a store too and see what happens.

Does anyone know what kind of tools the stores have? With the way it's acting, I'm not sure that they'll actually be able to do anything unfortunately.

Thanks!

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yep, no dice booting into recovery mode. Download mode does come up the phone still isn't accessible from Kies or ODIN. I actually took it over to a nearby Best Buy that has an internal Samsung store and they tried as well without any success.

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it looks like it's done. I hassled Verizon and the best I could come up with is $99 for a Galaxy S7 replacement. It's a really good price for a newer device so I guess I shouldn't complain too much but I would have rather had another Note 4.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
If you got your stuff backed up, or don't care about losing data, then why not reflash the phone since you can get to download mode?

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, in download mode it's not seen by a computer and doesn't seem to work with ODIN or Kies. Any suggestions for what I might be missing?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
What OS is on the computer. If it's Win10, a lot of people have problems connecting to the computer. You might read THIS and see if it helps you fix the connection. You may need to update the Samsung drivers if it gives you the option. You might also try Samsung Smart Switch... I believe it can force an OS install. Have never used it, though. Here's a short tutorial on Sammobile. You'll need your phone's serial and model number. The bad part is the Note 4 may not have the serial number under the battery.

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I have the phone being seen by the computer in download mode. However, SmartSwitch doesn't see it and putting in the model number and serial number doesn't work. The phone is showing that it's downloading but obviously nothing is happening (it even shows that if it's not connected to anything).

What OS is on the computer. If it's Win10, a lot of people have problems connecting to the computer. You might read THIS and see if it helps you fix the connection. You may need to update the Samsung drivers if it gives you the option. You might also try Samsung Smart Switch... I believe it can force an OS install. Have never used it, though. Here's a short tutorial on Sammobile. You'll need your phone's serial and model number. The bad part is the Note 4 may not have the serial number under the battery.

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well son of a *****. I downloaded ODIN and tried it myself on a different computer. ODIN saw the phone and I was able to install the current firmware. Phone is back up and running and ALL my data is intact. Verizon and Samsung suck.

Thank you nahoku!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
HERE's an ODIN tutorial on Youmobile. Sorry, if you already know how to use it, but can't tell from the thread.

A few things...
1) Kies cannot be running on the computer or it may mess with ODIN (perhaps the same goes for Smartswitch, but not sure). Be sure neither is running... check Task Manager and End Task if they are.... or uninstall the programs.
2) Be sure to start ODIN before putting the phone in Download Mode and connecting it to the computer
3) Be sure NOT to use a USB hub... connect directly to the computer USB port... preferably in the "back" of the computer (best chance in case the front ports are underpowered)

Basically... turn off the phone or pull the battery, pull the SD card (leave it out), start ODIN, load the firmware, put the battery back in the phone, enter Download mode, connect phone to PC. Hopefully ODIN will see it.

If your want to try LP 5.1.1, you can get it from HERE. Use the "Full Firmware" of N910VVRU2BPA1. All you need is this firmware, nothing else.

I'm not an expert with flashing phones, but I've done a few to include my recent spare Note 4, which I downgraded from MM to LP 5.1.1 using the exact firmware in the XDA link.

I hope you can get it going, but if you still can't get ODIN to see the phone, or flash the firmware, then I'm really out of ideas, other than getting Samsung to reflash the phone for you.

Good luck!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Well son of a *****. I downloaded ODIN and tried it myself on a different computer. ODIN saw the phone and I was able to install the current firmware. Phone is back up and running and ALL my data is intact. Verizon and Samsung suck.

Thank you nahoku!
You mean I just wasted my 10 minutes of writing my last post!!!! LOL! I'm glad your phone is running! :cool:

todesto

Feb 8, 2019
Visit site
Well, I know this is old post but I got here by searching Note 4 stuck at verizon logo.
I can see the device in ODIN and got the latest firmware and flash BL and AP only but still same thing.
Your post says install current firmware and got phone back up and all data intact. Did you flash the whole thing?
I thought if you flash whole thing, all data gets wiped out?

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, I know this is old post but I got here by searching Note 4 stuck at verizon logo.
I can see the device in ODIN and got the latest firmware and flash BL and AP only but still same thing.
Your post says install current firmware and got phone back up and all data intact. Did you flash the whole thing?

It's been a really long time so I don't remember 100% but... I used ODIN to re-install the latest firmware. I did not do a total reflash. It's also worth mentioning that the phone was never the same after this and I ended up replacing it a few months later.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yup, reflashing in odin WILL wipe data. You should try to download another copy of the MM firmware and try odin again... or reflash it to 5.1.1 (see link I posted above), then update the phone to MM if that's what you want.