Just got Note 4 with 6.0.1. Automatic updates - will they damage the phone?

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I just got this Note 4 NIB, it's at Android 6.0.1

It's constantly prompting me to update to a new version, any idea if that's OK to accept or will cause issues? I read about some updates causing issues, I think it was marshmallow. What's the latest-greatest update it's asking me to do?

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how to determine how big the update is. It just says must install update, so I assumed it's an upgrade to the operating system.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you only looking at the notification, or the main screen for the Settings>About Device>System Updates​ menu?

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
No. Settings - > System Updates ->

Software update
Ready to install

This software contains enhancements and improvements
to your samsung galaxy note 4
including android security updates

you will not be able to make
or receive phone calls... for 17 minutes during
this update.... restart your phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, ok. I won't be able to help you directly with that, but it would help others to know if this is an update through your carrier or from Samsung itself. (It would be through the carrier if the phone was originally sold through the carrier, as opposed to being an unlocked version.)

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
If you're using the international version, this update is normal. It's been pushed to my phone every month and contains the monthly security patch. The update size typically is about 300 mb.

akaid

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Good luck. I updated to 6.0.1 on my N910V (Verizon) about a week ago and now I have a boot loop issue that I haven't been able to solve with clearing cache or doing factory data resets. Never installed any custom ROMs or anything on it, either, and the phone won't handshake to Odin when connected with a cable (though Odin recognizes it). What carrier are you using?

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
My phone came with it, no weird issues other than the battery they sold me was dead.

I just did the patches upgrade stuff in the morning and no weird issues as of today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12