Battery Drain, Note 4 Running Hot After Verizon Update

gathome

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the last Verizon OTA update my phone's battery drains ridiculously fast and runs hot even with light usage. I have a 10,000 mAh extended battery that used to give me 2 - 3 days usage, now I can't get through the day without having to connect my charger. I thought the battery was going bad so I went back to the stock battery, it lasted about 6 hours. When checking battery usage in settings, "Android System" tops the list now. Prior to the Verizon update, "Screen" always topped the list. The running hot issue is really concerning me. My phone starts to heat up immediately, even if just texting or talking on the phone. Any help or thoughts on how to resolve these issues will be greatly appreciated!!!
BTW, I love my Note 4! I was ready to give it up for the Note 7 but we all know how that went. :'(

gathome

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Wait, what? Was I in the wrong forum? :/ Anyhow, I just wiped the cache partition. Strangely, I had to do this 4 times and each time, after the phone vibrated, when I released the power and home buttons, it would say, "applying system update." And it appeared to be doing just that! (????) Finally got it to do a cache wipe, hope it works! Thanks for your input! Any idea why Android System is now my biggest battery drain whereas it used to be Screen?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You were originally in the Verizon Note 2 forum -- you may have been focusing on the Verizon part. The Note 4 forum doesn't have any subforums based on carrier.

I'm not sure why the cache wipe took multiple attempts. So it stopped saying "Applying System Update" after the last one?

It's normal for Android System to be near the top of the Battery list, especially if you're not doing much else on the phone. What's more important is what your overall battery life is like. Is it still normal (i.e., about 4 hrs of total screen-on time, able to last from morning to late evening on one charge)?

gathome

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a rapid battery drain again today. My battery was doing better, lasting a full day, after my first cache wipe and "Screen" was on the top of the list for battery usage. Today, "Android System" is again on top, my battery lasted 9 hours, so I did another cache wipe. Once again, before bringing up the system menu, the android robot appeared and my phone said, "Applying System Update." I waited it out and after it was done, the menu appeared and I was able to do the cache wipe. I have no idea what's going on with my phone at this point. I do know my battery problems started after installing two consecutive Verizon system updates.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried powering off and pulling out both the battery and SD card for a few seconds (maybe even a mintue) then popping them back in?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you have an SD card installed in it, it is also possible a file is corrupted on that and Android System is constantly trying to index it, failing, trying again, repeat - and that can chew a lot of battery up. Try pulling the SD card for a day. If that helps, you may need to back up the data on it to a PC, reformat it, and copy back on what you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke