Note 4 - Ahead of its Time

agaskew

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
This two year old phone continues to impress me. When it first arrived it was a bit hit and miss.
Things like the replaceable battery, IR and microSD slot really improve flexibility, but battery life was all over the place, and performance was patchy. The build quality and screen quality remain very good. Subsequent updates improved the performance greatly for me.

I have now flashed it and installed Cyanogenmod a.k.a Android 7.1.1 and this has freed the device from Samsung's clutches (note: no S-Pen, never use it). The phone flies now.

In a few months, my Note 4's contract will run out and a replacement will be sought, as its a work phone. However, comparing handset specs of the Note 4 side by side with things like the Pixel XL or Huawei P10 Plus, for a two year old device, the Note 4 stacks up very well IMO.

I think it was ahead of its time when it was released.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Glad you love it. I have to admit, Samsung hardware without Samsung software has a certain appeal, especially now that they've gotten rid of the buttons on the front. Note 4 was a very solid device at the time, it's directly on par with the Nexus 6, which with good software, is still running strong. The specs are there; it's unfortunate that Qualcomm has decided that the 805 is basically done with updates.

ChetManley762

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I agree, I still love this phone and have no plans on replacing it until it completely dies or another phone comes along that really knocks my socks off. That hasn't happened yet.

My Note is still very fast and smooth on Marshmallow and I love being able to put a new battery in quickly when the old stops holding a charge completely (something I've done 3 times now in the past 2.5 years). This is such a huge feature, really not digging the move to sealed batteries...

The screen is still great looking, no burn-in. The IR blaster is essential to me, use it every day when my kids lose the TV remotes. Wireless charging, Galaxy Gear VR, S-pen, etc, etc, etc. 2 years later and no phones can completely match all is features.

Basically this is the best phone I've ever had. I still believe the Note 4 is the best all-around Samsung phone ever made. Wish they would make a suitable replacement because this phone sadly will not last forever.

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I wholeheartedly agree. I just bought a pixel, and I really like it. However, I always come back to my Note 4 as soon as I get home. I know it's 2 years old, and plenty of phones have the same screen size with a smaller body. But this one has a great camera, a fantastic battery, ,expandable memory, and an awesome screen. Oh, and despite not being glass, it is a gorgeous phone.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I keep looking desperately hoping I'll find something I like better, but the trusty Note 4 still checks all the boxes better than anything out there.

agaskew

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I wholeheartedly agree. I just bought a pixel, and I really like it. However, I always come back to my Note 4 as soon as I get home. I know it's 2 years old, and plenty of phones have the same screen size with a smaller body. But this one has a great camera, a fantastic battery, ,expandable memory, and an awesome screen. Oh, and despite not being glass, it is a gorgeous phone.

Having run stock Android 7.1.1 on my Note 4 for a while now, I'm looking at a Pixel or Pixel Plus next. So would be interested to hear your comparison of the two.

bakatenchu

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately my note 4 runs on exynos where update to nougat are patchy and full of bugs.. Still waiting for a nice custom rom to make my note 4 flies again.

anon(634141)

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I still love this phone and have no plans on replacing it until it completely dies or another phone comes along that really knocks my socks off. That hasn't happened yet.

My Note is still very fast and smooth on Marshmallow and I love being able to put a new battery in quickly when the old stops holding a charge completely (something I've done 3 times now in the past 2.5 years). This is such a huge feature, really not digging the move to sealed batteries...

The screen is still great looking, no burn-in. The IR blaster is essential to me, use it every day when my kids lose the TV remotes. Wireless charging, Galaxy Gear VR, S-pen, etc, etc, etc. 2 years later and no phones can completely match all is features.

Basically this is the best phone I've ever had. I still believe the Note 4 is the best all-around Samsung phone ever made. Wish they would make a suitable replacement because this phone sadly will not last forever.

My sentiment as well! :) Been using a Note 4 since its release and frankly have yet to see anything in the same ballpark to consider replacing it. Not only does it still work great but is the only device yet that has the key hardware features I value/want (ex. user-replaceable battery, large FLAT screen, soft touch back, IR blaster and of course S Pen).

Sadly I think Samsung has jumped the shark with the Note series and will not be returning to any of those great features any time soon. :( So a few months ago I decided to pick up another Note 4 and a couple extra batteries. Think I'm good to go a few more years. :D

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh FFS! As someone who has repeatedly spoken out against a user-replaceable battery as a bad design choice can you please bug off and let us have a thread to enjoy and celebrate what we value in our Note 4?

Where'd all that come from? Read my first post here. The post you quoted is asking for clarification. What in the world does replaceable battery have to do with this? Neither one of my posts say anything negative about any device.

anon(634141)

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Where'd all that come from? Read my first post here. The post you quoted is asking for clarification. What in the world does replaceable battery have to do with this? Neither one of my posts say anything negative about any device.

Apologies, I read too much into your post (based on your past post history across the forum. Long time lurker). All the same it's still very strange to see you here in this forum based on that post history where you have spoken out against various features we value here.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Apologies, I read too much into your post (based on your past post history across the forum. Long time lurker). All the same it's still very strange to see you here in this forum based on that post history where you have spoken out against various features we value here.
I jump into a lot of threads, have around 10000 posts and I like seeing people excited and loving their devices.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Ah, yes. The combination of high-end internals, a stylus and a removable battery is indeed what makes the Note 4 so special. If only they'd go with a removable battery for the Note 8, but it seems very unlikely.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Note 4 was hands down the best device I've ever owned. It was a shame I had to turn it in to upgrade. I was having too many lag issues and never bothered to flash it or anything which I regret because I would still have it. I've even gone on Amazon to find another Note 4. Due to the debacle with the Note 7, Note 4 prices soared from $190 to close to $300. You would think the Note 5 would be selling more but I see now that due to the lack of removable storage, battery and an IR blaster, people are holding on to these bad boys.

I miss my Note 4. It was hands down the greatest device I've ever had. Hopefully my G6 becomes the same. I miss the S-pen and everything I used it for.

Hold onto it. Don't sell your Note 4!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ah, yes. The combination of high-end internals, a stylus and a removable battery is indeed what makes the Note 4 so special. If only they'd go with a removable battery for the Note 8, but it seems very unlikely.
If I had to choose between all glass and metal or well-done plastic with a removable battery I'd want the removable battery. That'd make the Note stand out from the S8+ too.

agaskew

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I'll just say it again, if you have a Note 4, and you can root it and put Android 7x on it (for example Cyanogenmod), then the already decent performance becomes even better. The Note 4 is capable of running like butter.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'll just say it again, if you have a Note 4, and you can root it and put Android 7x on it (for example Cyanogenmod), then the already decent performance becomes even better. The Note 4 is capable of running like butter.

You're absolutely right, the hardware is really good and some better software can bring it a long ways :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon