How to determine if the LED display of my Galaxy Note 4 has gone bad

anupamdg

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
My Galaxy Note 4, which I inherited from my nephew, was exposed to rain about three years ago. After that the display has gone completely dark. If I charge the battery I get the green indicator showing it is fully charged. If I press the power switch I feel a vibration and after sometime the booting music plays. The menu and back button lights flash for a second and then goes away and a blue notification light stays on. But the screen stays completely dark. I have taken the battery out, the back panel out and soaked the entire phone in 99% isopropyl alcohol for half an hour and dried the phone to remove any moisture. The screen is still dark. I have tried booting the phone in recovery mode and safe mode without any success. I have tried the 1min/2min/3min exercise to drain the cache as suggested in a youtube video. But nothing has worked. Is the dark screen due to a led gone bad due to the rain or is it something else. How to troubleshoot the led or any other suspect element of the phone? Any suggestion, tips will be greatly appreciated.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the display has failed, or the electronics feeding it have. You can certainly replace the screen and/or motherboard, and there are places that will gladly give it a go or you can order the parts yourself and attempt it. The Note 4 isn't that bad to maintain but you are looking at $100 minimum for parts and more for labor if you hire the work out.

You can also find used Note 4 units in decent condition on Swappa for under $200 - so that's an option as well.

anupamdg

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Is it possible to determine if it is the display itself which has gone bad or the electronics that feeds it? Are these two integrated so that if I need to replace I have to replace the electronics as well as the display.