Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
My Verizon Note 4 is caught in a reboot loop when not plugged in.

When unplugged , I turned it on, took a few photos, was about to take another, and it spontaneously rebooted. When it came back, everything seemed normal, then a few seconds later, it rebooted again. I saw I had over 50% battery life left.

After that reboot, the phone has never gotten beyond the first black and white screen that says Samsung Galazy Note 4 Powered by Android. It shows that screen for a few seconds, then reboots. Endlessly. I took out the battery, put it back in, tried to boot, and all it did was loop.

When I plug the phone in as if to recharge, it boots all the way in. AT this point I've lost a few % in battery power, but still just below 50%.

Still plugged in, I open the camera, take a few pictures, and it shuts wdow, and instead of rebooting, it shows the extra large battery icon (that you get if the battery gets really low.) But the progress bar on the icon immediately goes up to 46%, but the phone the shuts down. But I restart it, it boots normally. But when I try tio use the camera, or do anything, it reboots.

What's going on here? Is the battery dying, and giving false readouts?

Thank you.

EDIT: I FIND THAT THE BUTTONS FOR REPLY AND EDIT ON THIS FORUM ARE OFTEN MISSING ON THE PAGE. In both Firefox and Chrome. Had to use the "EDIT QUESTION" button to post this edit here.

Last edited:

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The easy answer would be to swap the battery and see what happens. If that's the case, then you're fortunate because the Note 4 is the last of the Notes that has the swappable battery.

If you don't have a spare battery, or the battery isn't the issue, I'd next look at clearing the system cache. You don't lose any data when you clear the system cache. Pull the battery and wait a minute or so, then replace it. Don't connect the phone to your charger.

Boot to Recovery Mode like this:
1. Press and hold POWER, VOL UP, and HOME buttons until you see RECOVERY BOOTING in blue at the top of your screen. Ignore the little dead Android guy if you see it.
2. Release the buttons and you'll be in Recovery Mode.

Use your VOL UP and VOL DN buttons to scroll up and down the menu. Select CLEAR CACHE PARTITION and use POWER button to select. Select YES with VOL UP/VOL DN and use POWER to start the process. Be careful here -- it is very easy to start a factory data reset from the same menu. You don't want that yet. After the system cache is cleared, restart and hope for the best.

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I cleared the cache partition as described. But nothing has changed,

The phone will not coplete a reboot and get past the first screen unless it is plugged in, even when the battery is at 90%.

When plugged in, everything usually works fine. But even when plugged in running the camera has sometime caused a reboot. And when running on batteries, running the camera causes a reboot almost immediately.

Any other ideas out there?

VN750

Banned
May 27, 2017
Visit site
Definitely sounds like a failing battery. It probably has a bad cell in it causing the unusual behavior. Even when plugged in to charge, the battery is still the primary power source supplying voltage and current to the phone. The external power source may help a bit but may not be enough to properly run the phone for higher power requirements (ex. using the camera, booting up).

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
So then, even when plugged in, the device is still "running on batteries", and the charger is in fact just that -- only a charger -- keeping the battery charged, but without actually directly powering the device. Never suspected that. But yes.. when I plug it in, with the battery out, I would expect it to power up and run on the "adapter" but it doesn't. It's not an adapter, just a charger. Interesting.

When replacing the battery, do the letters at the end of the model number matter? My battery says EB-BN910BBZ. Does the BBZ matter when finding a replacement?

Is there any way to run diagnostics on the battery?

Thank you.

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
So then, even when plugged in, the device is still "running on batteries", and the charger is in fact just that -- only a charger -- keeping the battery charged, but without actually directly powering the device. Never suspected that. But yes.. when I plug it in, with the battery out, I would expect it to power up and run on the "adapter" but it doesn't. It's not an adapter, just a charger. Interesting.

When replacing the battery, do the letters at the end of the model number matter? My battery says EB-BN910BBZ. Does the BBZ matter when finding a replacement?

Is there any way to run diagnostics on the battery?

Thank you.

VN750

Banned
May 27, 2017
Visit site
A quick test would be to take the battery out place it on a flat surface and press on each long end. If it wobbles at all means it's bulging due to a bad cell/cells. Otherwise you'd need battery testing equipment to run actual diagnostics on it.

Not sure about the letters at the end other than it's the same on the few spares I purchased a few months ago off Verizon's website (currently shows out of stock :(). Samsung's website also now only redirects to Walmart (used to direct to Amazon) all of which have questionable reviews. Same thing on AC's own Shop Android. It seems genuine Samsung batteries are getting harder to find.

Anker is probably your best bet at this point (link below). I've never used them but have always heard good things about them. :)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...nker.com%2Fproducts%2FA6090031&token=iqdFElIC

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty