01-12-2018 09:25 PM
80 123 ...
tools
    Out of curiosity, how many out there still plan on using their Note 4 as their main phone for the foreseeable future?

My GN4 is still going strong, minor lag here or there, but other than that I have no complaints. There's no noticable screen burn-in. I've recently purchased several Anker batteries for it so I'm good on that front for another year at least. On Verizon I'm still getting monthly security updates. I just haven't seen any phones that are dramatically better that are worth dropping $500+ dollars on.

The camera, while ok, is probably the only reason I would consider upgrading to something new. Since I just purchased a Panasonic GX85 mirror less DSLR as my main camera, that is no longer an issue.

Overall, I still love this phone, meets all my needs. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.
    07-07-2017 10:26 AM
    Yes. Because of the MHL I can cast to my TV. Otherwise I use the S8+.
    huntnyc likes this.
    07-07-2017 10:33 AM
    I still have mine but I only use it as a remote for my TV. I also still have a Note Edge. I haven't used that in about a month, it's also used as a remote only.
    07-07-2017 12:15 PM
    Just replaced with S8 only because it was free with a 2 year term with the same plan I have been having.
    N4 is still strong. It lags here and there and fast charging no longer works. The camera and picture quality are a bit dated. Beside those, it is more than decent.
    That 1440p AMOLED screen. Just fantastic even after almost 3 years. Even now, not many makers to 1440p AMOLED dispay.
    It was probably the last samsung's flagship phone with removable battery. I will miss this.
    huntnyc likes this.
    07-07-2017 03:35 PM
    I will definitely miss the removable battery as well. It'll probably be cheap phones from here on out for me. No way I'm paying $700+ dollars for a phone with a sealed battery.
    07-07-2017 06:15 PM
    Note4. Nothing but love for this phone.
    huntnyc, Inders99 and wm4 like this.
    07-07-2017 06:49 PM
    I plan to keep mine for one more year, at least
    huntnyc and Inders99 like this.
    07-07-2017 08:10 PM
    I will, but only because I'm poor. The screen has terrible burn in and is slower than molasses. Oh, and batteries are getting eaten up faster than a fat person eating at a buffet.
    07-07-2017 08:17 PM
    I will, but only because I'm poor. The screen has terrible burn in and is slower than molasses. Oh, and batteries are getting eaten up faster than a fat person eating at a buffet.
    Have you done a factory reset lately? I factory reset after every major OS update and usually every six months in my note runs pretty smooth. Unfortunately burn-in you can't do much about...
    07-07-2017 08:59 PM
    Have you done a factory reset lately? I factory reset after every major OS update and usually every six months in my note runs pretty smooth. Unfortunately burn-in you can't do much about...
    The last factory reset I did was back in October of last year. I probably should do another, but I just despise having to set up my phone again. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a go and see what happens.
    07-07-2017 09:10 PM
    The last factory reset I did was back in October of last year. I probably should do another, but I just despise having to set up my phone again. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a go and see what happens.
    Let us know how it goes!
    TechNut79 likes this.
    07-08-2017 02:53 PM
    Let us know how it goes!
    Working great so far. Hopefully it continues.
    07-08-2017 11:43 PM
    Working great so far. Hopefully it continues.
    Very cool. Glad that helped! I find the phone stays fairly nimble for about 6-9 months after a factory reset and then slowly starts lagging again as I load it up again with more crap.
    TechNut79 likes this.
    07-09-2017 12:38 AM
    I still have one I'll probably keep as long as it works, it's not currently active. My primary line is an S7, I wanted a more compact water resistant phone last summer for festivals and camping.
    07-09-2017 05:43 AM
    Works great keeping it for a while. I am using OS 4.4.4 and won't upgrade until I'm forced to. No problems and I can keep a extra battery in my pocket.
    huntnyc likes this.
    07-09-2017 07:25 PM
    Needed a replacement for a week or so. Chose my Note 4 over my Note 5. New battery and a factory reset make for an efficient phone.
    huntnyc likes this.
    07-09-2017 11:28 PM
    if it ain't broke, why replace it? mine still runs great but I'm keeping my eye open on the Note 8.
    huntnyc likes this.
    07-12-2017 03:10 AM
    Agreed. I am definitely keeping my eye on the Note 8 but if the$1000 rumors are true I'll be passing, too rich for my blood.
    huntnyc likes this.
    07-12-2017 01:21 PM
    I would love a new phone but I have a hard time with the thought of a sealed battery. I am sure everyone has some old electronic device with an embedded battery. I bet that device is dead or holds a charge for a few minutes. Imagine your new $1000.00 phone with a useless battery in a few years. My note 4 has had several batteries and functions like new with each replacement I bought. I do not mind throwing away a rechargeable flashlight when it fails to hold a decent charge. But an expensive phone?
    huntnyc, MrMELTDOWN and MrMELTDOWN like this.
    07-12-2017 01:33 PM
    I would love a new phone but I have a hard time with the thought of a sealed battery. I am sure everyone has some old electronic device with an embedded battery. I bet that device is dead or holds a charge for a few minutes. Imagine your new $1000.00 phone with a useless battery in a few years. My note 4 has had several batteries and functions like new with each replacement I bought. I do not mind throwing away a rechargeable flashlight when it fails to hold a decent charge. But an expensive phone?
    I've never had a problem with any device that has a sealed battery. My oldest phone that I own is a iPhone 3GS that still works and holds a charge as it I just bought it today.

I've never had a phone with a built in battery shut down at 15% like I did with phones with removable batteries.

I still have:

iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 6+
    iPhone 6s+
    iPhone 6S
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone SE

Note 5
    3 S7 Edge phones

All of them have amazing battery life. I think you are making a big deal out of nothing.
    07-12-2017 01:39 PM
    I've never had a problem with any device that has a sealed battery. My oldest phone that I own is a iPhone 3GS that still works and holds a charge as it I just bought it today.

I've never had a phone with a built in battery shut down at 15% like I did with phones with removable batteries.

I still have:

iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 6+
    iPhone 6s+
    iPhone 6S
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone SE

Note 5
    3 S7 Edge phones

All of them have amazing battery life. I think you are making a big deal out of nothing.
    I'm in agreement with paradox. I have several Galaxy Tabs from 4-5 years ago, my wife has a 1.5 year old S6 and while they still work the battery doesn't last anywhere near as long as when we bought them. SOT is probably half of what it was.

Lithium ion batteries degrade with use, scientific fact. With my Note 4 when the battery doesn't hold a charge as long after about a year I pop in a new one and I'm back to fresh new battery life.

Way easier than trying to crack open a sealed phone to replace a battery. And definitely contributes more to device longevity.
    07-12-2017 03:28 PM
    I'm in agreement with paradox. I have several Galaxy Tabs from 4-5 years ago, my wife has a 1.5 year old S6 and while they still work the battery doesn't last anywhere near as long as when we bought them. SOT is probably half of what it was.

Lithium ion batteries degrade with use, scientific fact. With my Note 4 when the battery doesn't hold a charge as long after about a year I pop in a new one and I'm back to fresh new battery life.

Way easier than trying to crack open a sealed phone to replace a battery. And definitely contributes more to device longevity.
    I have an app on some of my iPhones, especially the older ones that tells how many battery cycles each has and the battery capacity.

On the 3GS, it has 512 cycles with 97% capacity left, the 6+ has 365 cycles with 98% capacity, the 6+ has 117 cycles with 96% capacity.

You can see that the loss in capacity after these years has been very little. The phones will be so old and replaces long before the battery becomes useless.
    07-12-2017 06:44 PM
    I have an app on some of my iPhones, especially the older ones that tells how many battery cycles each has and the battery capacity.

On the 3GS, it has 512 cycles with 97% capacity left, the 6+ has 365 cycles with 98% capacity, the 6+ has 117 cycles with 96% capacity.

You can see that the loss in capacity after these years has been very little. The phones will be so old and replaces long before the battery becomes useless.
    That app isn't by any chance available on Android, is it? I'm assuming no or you would have said what it was.
    07-12-2017 06:47 PM
    That app isn't by any chance available on Android, is it? I'm assuming no or you would have said what it was.
    I'm sure there are battery apps on the play store that will tell battery cycles/capacity but I haven't found any. Some of those apps cost money and I don't want to buy some just to find that they don't tell any of these things. It's been awhile since I've searched so I don't know if any newer ones may tell that info.
    07-12-2017 06:50 PM
    Try an app for a few minutes and if you aren't happy with it just hit that refund button.
    07-14-2017 01:40 AM
80 123 ...