Galaxy Note 4 screen going black when picking ringtone

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
Okay, I'd like to start by saying sorry if this has already been asked before, but I've been searching for weeks and haven't been able to find an answer anywhere.

I've been using my Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910U) for almost 3 years now. It was running the factory installed version of Android from when I bought it (then updated to 6.0.1). Aside from a few light dings, there have been no incidents that stand out as being potentially harmful for the phone. My original battery started to die a few months ago, only being able to hold a charge for 2 hours with screen on. I bought a replacement battery from a Samsung retailer and have been using that for the past month or two.

Recently I've found that when I go to choose a new ringtone by selecting "Add" from the ringtone picker and choose one of the songs present in my device storage, the screen will go black and the entire device becomes unresponsive until I restart it by removing the battery (Pressing the power button has no effect). It's really annoying and tedious. I have had no such issues with this phone before.

Things I've tried:
1) Taking out the battery and holding the power button for 2 minutes - no change
2) Boot into Safe Mode - no change
3) Factory reset - no change
4) Flashing a new stock rom with MM 6.0.1 (N910UXXS2DQHF) - no change

This device is also out of warranty, partially due to being 3 years old and partially due to me rooting it after... So returning it to Samsung for replacement is out of the question. I'm also new to flashing, so I'm not comfortable with trying to flash a custom ROM, mostly because I don't want to accidentally brick my phone, and also because they usually have bugs that make some of the features unusable (like fingerprint scanning)

There is nothing on the internet about any of this, as I've said, and that really confuses me. I can't be the only one to ever have this problem, right? I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Where exactly are the songs stored? You said device storage, so I assume this means Internal Storage, and not the SD card, right? Are the mp3 files in the Ringtones directory?

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
The problem is that sometimes the files select correctly - I'll go through 15 or 20 songs before selecting the one I want and nothing happens. But then sometimes on the 1st song the screen goes black.

Also, yes. Problem is still there in safe mode. That's what prompted me to do a factory reset. Still no change.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you actually able to use the m4a files as ringtones? I thought it was only mp3, wav, or ogg files that could be used as custom tones. Does the black screen correspond to when you use m4a?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it matter if you move the sound file to the /Ringtones directory and choose that one (as opposed to the file in the Music directory)?

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I've been playing around with it for a few days now and the issue is still there even if the files are in the Ringtones folder. (There are 1200 files so it took a while - was testing specific files for odd behavior, but no luck)

New development: On one occasion, I tapped a heads up notification from the Textra app to reply to a text message and the screen suddenly went black and unresponsive. When I started the phone back up again, my battery had dropped from 73% to 11%. I'm beginning to think this has something to do with that new battery I bought.