Poll: how did your Note 4 die? Is it still working?

How did your Note 4 die? (Super slow, un-usable, or not working)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just curious to those still have it:

1. How long did you own your Note 4?

2. How exactly did it die? (update killed it, physical damage, other)

3. If it's still alive, how much slower is it after update?

4. Anyone who NEVER updated your Note 4 (kept original 4.4.4 KitKat) how does it perform? Still fast?

Just trying to figure out how a phone gets slower over time. Very strange how everyone is having issues now (2 of my friend's Note 4 died at the same time after update). My brother still has a Note 4, trying to see what we can do to keep it alive.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My Note 4 had originally died showing the whole EMMC Error thing, but now suddenly it's alive, I am posting this from it.

Just did the update that brings the August Security Patch.

Very odd.

The phone seems good, running fast and smooth so far.

Let's see how long this lasts
95c7a386658fd9568849a82547b9aeb0.jpg

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Got my Note 4 in Jan 2015. It's still running like the day I bought it and it's still fast as ever... no slowdowns whatsoever. I've not seen any of the problems others have seen with the phone (except for BT intermittently dropping connections with my headphones... car connection works fine). It's still on Kitkat 4.4.4 but it did take an update to LP 5.0 when Verizon first pushed it. A few days on LP and I quickly reverted it back to KK and disabled the update app. Luckily I was able to revert before they locked the bootloader!

My spare Note 4 is locked on LP 5.1.1. It came to me with MM 6.0 and for sure MM is the pits/slow in my opinion... always got the spinning loader icon just trying to go through settings. I reverted it back to LP a few days after playing with MM and the phone runs fine. Too bad the bootloader is locked or it too would be on Kitkat! As it is, it's a root candidate!

Not sure how your friend's phones died, but are they really dead? As for your brother's phone, perhaps going back to LP might be a good answer... but it depends on the carrier. While I really don't like LP, it's not as bad a MM. It's not KK for sure, but LP can be tolerable for me if my original Note 4 dies. Search XDA for reversion threads.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Got my Note 4 in Jan 2015. It's still running like the day I bought it and it's still fast as ever... no slowdowns whatsoever. I've not seen any of the problems others have seen with the phone (except for BT intermittently dropping connections with my headphones... car connection works fine). It's still on Kitkat 4.4.4 but it did take an update to LP 5.0 when Verizon first pushed it. A few days on LP and I quickly reverted it back to KK and disabled the update app. Luckily I was able to revert before they locked the bootloader!

My spare Note 4 is locked on LP 5.1.1. It came to me with MM 6.0 and for sure MM is the pits/slow in my opinion... always got the spinning loader icon just trying to go through settings. I reverted it back to LP a few days after playing with MM and the phone runs fine. Too bad the bootloader is locked or it too would be on Kitkat! As it is, it's a root candidate!

Not sure how your friend's phones died, but are they really dead? As for your brother's phone, perhaps going back to LP might be a good answer... but it depends on the carrier. While I really don't like LP, it's not as bad a MM. It's not KK for sure, but LP can be tolerable for me if my original Note 4 dies. Search XDA for reversion threads.

Wow, you must've been really lucky to downgrade and revert back! From what I remembered back from using Samsung phones is there is absolutely no way of reverting back and if you do try, you risk bricking your phone (which happened to me but I sent it in for warranty repair). I had an AT&T Galaxy S4 and the update took away some features such as data on/off shortcut toggle. Both my friend's Note 4 died just like how everyone else's died, the final update made it super slow and reboots. Guess I'll tell my brother to not update his phone, I think he's still on the original OS.

airfoil

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have two. 1 is fine and still running strong and has never been ROM updated.

Others dead. It started having funky overheating problems draining the battery very rapidly. Replace the battery same issues continued and then one day in August 2017 it turned off and never turned back on

delvern

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Just curious to those still have it:

1. How long did you own your Note 4?

2. How exactly did it die? (update killed it, physical damage, other)

3. If it's still alive, how much slower is it after update?

4. Anyone who NEVER updated your Note 4 (kept original 4.4.4 KitKat) how does it perform? Still fast?

Just trying to figure out how a phone gets slower over time. Very strange how everyone is having issues now (2 of my friend's Note 4 died at the same time after update). My brother still has a Note 4, trying to see what we can do to keep it alive.
Mine seems to be dead. Started freezing before restarting repeatedly. Changed the battery. Flashed stock and lineageOS ROMs with the same outcome. Gonna try wake lock app soon if only it lets me get through the setup.

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
Mine likes to restart itself when the battery is lower than 60%.
And then I pull the battery and put it back in and it says that it has between 17 and 20% left then it will just keep shutting itself off. Sometimes it goes into restart Loop sometimes it comes on but as soon as I touch any applications that turns itself off

antiarbitrator

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I have had my Note 4 for 2 years and 3 months. The only problem I ever had was I needed to recalibrate the battery. I play a lot of games on it and surf the web with no issues.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Wow, you must've been really lucky to downgrade and revert back! From what I remembered back from using Samsung phones is there is absolutely no way of reverting back and if you do try, you risk bricking your phone (which happened to me but I sent it in for warranty repair). I had an AT&T Galaxy S4 and the update took away some features such as data on/off shortcut toggle. Both my friend's Note 4 died just like how everyone else's died, the final update made it super slow and reboots. Guess I'll tell my brother to not update his phone, I think he's still on the original OS.
Many people revert the OS with no problems. There is a chance for things to go wrong, but that's NOT the norm if you use the correct firmware. Anyone on ATT is normally out of luck though as ATT doesn't release their firmware online. Sometimes you can find ATT firmware on XDA that someone might have uploaded.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Mine likes to restart itself when the battery is lower than 60%.
And then I pull the battery and put it back in and it says that it has between 17 and 20% left then it will just keep shutting itself off. Sometimes it goes into restart Loop sometimes it comes on but as soon as I touch any applications that turns itself off
Everything you're describing is a "classic" battery issue. I've seen this with more than one of my spare batteries. One of them used to do this all the time at around 40%.

MsBlingberry

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Had my N4 for 3 years now. Still working fine. Only had to do a battery change once but it's still in good condition and I'm holding on to it till I can afford the N8 or if anyone knows where I can get the Note Fan Edition. I missed out on the N7 and I still love it mainly because of the size.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I got a replacement battery. It's an OEM battery though. Should I get something like an Anker battery?
The only "true" OEM batteries will have to come directly from Samsung or your carrier... being that the phone is so old now. Any battery on ebay, or other sites labeled OEM are questionable. I've heard that people have had a lot of success with Anker, but I have no experience with them. If you can, borrow a known good battery from a friend, (one that never suddenly dies like yours), to test your phone. It sure sounds like you have a battery problem to me. Do it soon, by the way. Constant crashing is never good for a phone... or computers for that matter!

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
The only "true" OEM batteries will have to come directly from Samsung or your carrier... being that the phone is so old now. Any battery on ebay, or other sites labeled OEM are questionable. I've heard that people have had a lot of success with Anker, but I have no experience with them. If you can, borrow a known good battery from a friend, (one that never suddenly dies like yours), to test your phone. It sure sounds like you have a battery problem to me. Do it soon, by the way. Constant crashing is never good for a phone... or computers for that matter!
T-Mobile sent me a new battery.
However it may have been refurbished or something.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Reading this thread confirms for me that updating phones is a clever way of manufacturer’s to cripple your phone in order to force you to upgrade.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile sent me a new battery.
However it may have been refurbished or something.
Samsung batteries supplied by a carrier are normally covered with a 1 year warranty. If the battery sent to you from T-Mobile is less than a year old, contact them to see what they might be able to do for you. Even if the battery is over a year old, I would still contact them to see what happens. Sometimes a little noise goes a long way!

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
Samsung batteries supplied by a carrier are normally covered with a 1 year warranty. If the battery sent to you from T-Mobile is less than a year old, contact them to see what they might be able to do for you. Even if the battery is over a year old, I would still contact them to see what happens. Sometimes a little noise goes a long way!
I've only had it for like a couple months.
I'm going to order the Anker battery and see how that works out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci