Poll: how did your Note 4 die? Is it still working?

How did your Note 4 die? (Super slow, un-usable, or not working)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine still works, for now. It is currently casting device at home. I definitely need new batteries but don't know where to get them. I use a pixel (regular) as my daily for the last year, but I always find myself playing with my N4. I really wish Samsung would re-release this phone.

agaskew

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Mine still works, for now. It is currently casting device at home. I definitely need new batteries but don't know where to get them. I use a pixel (regular) as my daily for the last year, but I always find myself playing with my N4. I really wish Samsung would re-release this phone.

Amazon is easiest, there are plenty.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I've had consistently good luck with Anker replacement batteries. They are relatively inexpensive and I can't tell any difference between them and real OEM batteries (and in my experience a great many "OEM" batteries, aren't really...)

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I received my Note 4 on 10/13/14, T-Mobile version and it is still going strong. Last year I had to replace the couple of OEM batteries with an Anker battery because they both caused to the phone to shut off at 20% and 10%. After that, the phone hasn't had any issues.

I honestly never noticed it slowing down after Lollipop or with the Marshmallow update, no burn in either. I enjoy having the option of having a removable battery too much and I can't see the worth of spending $1,000 on a new phone while my Note 4 is still going on. I still view this one as a greatly built phone and I actually like the design and more options of the Note 4 over the new design of most current smart phones.

Last edited:

daehttub01

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I have 2 stock GN4's still going strong after all these years. They just needed new batteries and the periodic factory resets to clean them up. I had 2 GN2's die on me though due to the dreaded Motherboard failures. Anker IMHO is the best vendor for batteries and accessories. I think everybody sources from the same cheap Chinese suppliers. The difference is that Anker has higher quality standards and will replace defective devices with a minimum of fuss. They are a wee bit more expensive than the no name brands out there but you get what you pay for. Over the years I have had a couple of dud Anker batteries but they immediately shipped out replacements. Another huge consideration is that I have never had an Anker battery swell up on me. I will never buy a no name battery again as swollen Lithium ion batteries are essentially little bombs... Since I always keep a stack of extra batteries with me it has never been a problem. I will really hate going to a newer nonreplaceable battery Galaxy Note X when I am finally forced to.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had my pink N910C for almost 3 years now & it's still going strong. I've had one battery replacement so far (Anker one).

I used stock ROM until about 2 months ago until I flashed the phone with the Lineage OS 14.1. It's not perfect (flaky SMS issues) but it's stable & good enough to be my daily driver ROM. The N910C, though, is not my primary phone - my 955U1 is.

qtrxist

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Got mine Dec 2014. It was passed on family members 3x then came back to me. It was freshly reset yesterday. I'd say it never skipped on any app that I use which mostly are pretty basic.
New battery Yontex, it is holding up pretty good. IR blaster, replaceable battery.. Wishing it will come back (highly doubtful).
I wish for the IR blaster though (Note 9), water proof vs replaceable batt, meeeh, I charge batt every day, to be near water and getting it wet?
But we can't get them all can we.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My Note 4 made it 2 years and 9 months. The August AT&T security update sent into a bootloop. AT&T wouldn't help restore it just wanted me to purchase a new phone. Instead I switched to Verizon.

This was what I was trying to talk about.. how on Earth can an update bootloop a phone? Doesn't make sense.. most people get the EMMC error.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I had two Note 4s, the first one lasted about a year before it wouldn't hold a charge. It would charge and then it would drain in minutes. My Warranty company sent me another and in about a year it did the same thing. They didn't have a replacement for it so they refunded me the full amount I paid for the note 4. I used the refund money to buy a note 7, and we know what happened with that.

Technically, your Note 4 did not die. The battery did. I have gotten two Note 4 and both times they battery was completely worthless. One got 2 hours and the other 4. The battery was undersized for this phone even when new. After 2 years, Li-ion batteries go dead.

Upgrading the OEM battery in Note is standard operating procedure.

The phones are old. The batteries are old. Even NIB. 4 year old batteries are so completely at the end of their lifespan.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have my Note 4 for 3 years. It generally doesn't lag. It went to Samsung because the screen died and they did a complimentary repair, very classy and decent of Samsung.

They didn't want to fix it at first because they couldn't read the sticker on the inside of the phone that has the IMEI address. I have no idea why they couldn't read it or i removed it because it was blank but I was able to get verification that it was my phone and what the IMEI address was through AT&T and I had to send it back to them and then they fixed it and it's really running really well.

I keep having to replace batteries and I'm getting them from Anker and Anker has really been great about it as they replace them for free when they belly in the middle so that you can spin the battery around on a flat surface.

I have 4 batteries so I rotate them. However, as nohoku said continual crashes aren't great for the phone, what about continual battery pulls?

Back to the batteries bellying, sometimes it is hard to close the back plate. As I said before Samsung didn't want to fix my phone without the ticket on the inside being readible, especially when the screen is dead. Then I realized when seeing the smudged IMEI #on the ticket inside the other day, i reakized what was happening because of the bellying battery, it would rub out the printing. It was also causing reboots because the battery itself got bigger because it bellied, it lost direct contact with the inside contact points and rebooted.

So why is this happening? I have the phone on really bright and that really kills battery life and makes the phone hotter and often times I don't even realize it but location devices is on and that really makes the phone hot. So I think those two factors are causing batteries to belly and maybe even in the case of the Note 7, where there is no place to expand to, explode.

Other than the battery issue, I don't see any reason why I would want to spend $1,000 to get a Note 8 that will give me what more than I have from the Note 4? Plus I need a new case and the tax and screen protector which I hear is $50. I just don't see the point. Samsung is,offering $400 off on your prior phone but they stopped it at the Note 5. I might have considered it with that discount but even so I'm talking about $600 plus I'm giving up my backup phone that's got to be worth $100 and then I need new stuff so that's another $75 so I'm still almost $800 and I'm not sure that it's worth it for a little bit better camera.

There is no substantial lag time on the Note 4 and I'm running 6.0.1 so what else am I going to gain for that much money?

Then I would also need $200 insurance because my Note 4 would be gone and all I have left is the Note 2.

For now I'm sticking with the Note 4.

Smart choice. I Have s8+, note 4 is better.

*removable battery
*16:9 ratio
* no stupid curved edges

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I still have my Note 4 and Note Edge, both working perfectly. I have 4 batteries for each phone and the batteries still last a full day for each phone.

I just turned both of these phones on today to keep the batteries working.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
2 Note 3s, not 4s - still working, but I wanted a smaller phone and a fingerprint scanner. If anyone wants a Note 3 in perfect condition, in an Otterbox Defender since day 1 ... Unless you mistreat Notes, they should keep going, right up to the 4. (Samsung started getting sloppy with the 5 and, well we all know what happened with the 7.)

NexusGirlX, if you get a charger like this one, for $9, you won't have to use the phones to charge the batteries.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
2 Note 3s, not 4s - still working, but I wanted a smaller phone and a fingerprint scanner. If anyone wants a Note 3 in perfect condition, in an Otterbox Defender since day 1 ... Unless you mistreat Notes, they should keep going, right up to the 4. (Samsung started getting sloppy with the 5 and, well we all know what happened with the 7.)

NexusGirlX, if you get a charger like this one, for $9, you won't have to use the phones to charge the batteries.
I have the official Samsung external battery charger for each of these phones.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I still have all of mine also, but sometimes it's nice to leave the phone alone and still charge a spare battery. (Also, that particular one does precharge, if you ever happen to let the battery drop totally dead (about 3 Volts).

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I still have all of mine also, but sometimes it's nice to leave the phone alone and still charge a spare battery. (Also, that particular one does precharge, if you ever happen to let the battery drop totally dead (about 3 Volts).
I'm fine with what I have. I don't use my Note 4 or Note Edge as actual phones anymore. When I do turn them on, it's just to use the apps on there. I have a Note 8 and a few newer model iPhones that I use as my daily.

I do think that the display on the Note 4 is till one of the best to date.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My Note 4 is completely dead now

Charging it does not help. The eMMC error dealt it's final blow to the phone it seems.

First time I have ever had a Samsung die on me.

My Galaxy S2, S4, S6 and S7 Edge are all still alive and working, Note 4 Snapdragon seems to be an outlier.

Very strange oversight for an otherwise fantastic phone, it served me well, as well as the people who I borrowed it to.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My Note 4 is completely dead now

Charging it does not help. The eMMC error dealt it's final blow to the phone it seems.

First time I have ever had a Samsung die on me.

My Galaxy S2, S4, S6 and S7 Edge are all still alive and working, Note 4 Snapdragon seems to be an outlier.

Very strange oversight for an otherwise fantastic phone, it served me well, as well as the people who I borrowed it to.
Think something like this happened to my husband's phone. Did an update and then it went into perpetual reboot loop. He is using an OG Pixel XL now. Prefers it to any Samsung.

4ns3raru

May 18, 2019
Visit site
So I got the "could not do normal boot, mmc_read failed" error. My phone would randomly reboot itself over and over and get stuck on that screen. I read that I should download the Wake Lock App and use setting 4 if I can get it to boot so I did, my phone then starting working absolutely fine. No more reboots. I could turn it on and off.

Suddenly today though I accidentally let my battery drain completely. It was at 1% and shut off. I went to plug it in and now I cant even get it to charge/boot.

I did root it last week (How To Root Galaxy Note 4 (Kitkat) – Mr.Bosski) maybe that has anything to do with it?

I also read that I should try and let it charge for a few hours so I did, no change. I read that I should clean out the ports of the charger and charging port so I did and BAM the ol could not do normal boot, mmc_read failed" error page pops up. So while it was still plugged in I tried to get it to reboot but nothing. Just black screen. I have tried another battery but nothing. Tried cleaning the ports again and nothing.

Is this the end of my note 4? :( Please someone have a solution

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I had that issue, and downgraded from 6.0.1 (Marshmallow) to 5.1.1 (Lollipop)

managed to boot, installed wakelock.

It runs without issues.

To reboot, you have to take out the battery, hold down the power button for a minute or so and then reinsert/reboot.

It's a motherboard issue. Some Note 4s have it. Not all but sometimes you lose the lottery. Your phone might be in the more advanced stage than mine. I don't know if a downgrade can help. I read reports that upgrade from LP to MM is what initially broke it. that is from v5 to V6 of android.

I've had about 5 Note 4s all in all and only 1 got affected. I probably won't ever get the Note 4 again. Given you have a much better alternative - LG V20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX