Root or not. Verizon note 4 Android 5.1.1

cadjak

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
My Verizon Note 4 has gone weird on me. It won't reboot unless I pull the battery, leave it out for 45 minutes and then reboot. It locks up for a minute or so when in use. I'm assuming it's hardware. So I bought a replacement. It's still got a locked boot loader and is running stock 5.1.1 with the usual Verizon/Samsung bloat. I don't know if I want to go through the work of unlocking the bootloader, and then rooting and installing TWRP. I am not someone who swaps out different ROMS every week. I do like having a custom restore and Titanium back up. I load my phone up with a lot of apps and have a 128GB sd memory card that I can use for storage and to run apps off if I install link2SD (it was a pain to set up, when I did it on my current note 4). I'd like to hear some opinions. Root? Leave it alone at 5.1.1, don't root but take the Verizon update to 6.0.1? I'm stuck trying to figure it out, so any ideas will be welcome.

agaskew

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I cannot speak about the Verizon-specific aspects of this as I'm in the UK. My Note 4 was locked to a UK carrier - EE. I found the Samsung/Touchwiz experience underwhelming and slow and when the device warranty was nearly done, took the plunge, rooted the device and installed LineageOS, which is not much different from stock Android 7. Performance and general speed took quite a jump up as a result, especially the overall smoothness of using the screen. I find the stock Android experience a lot nicer too. On the downside, the S-Pen is now just a pointer. I previously also had a few glitches with the camera not working but since a recent factory reset its been OK.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE