Note 4 Slow Charging & USB Unrecognised

anto69

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
Hi - Samsung Note 4 (few years old now - bought on launch day!).

About a year ago the Fast Charging stopped working.
'Normal' charging from the Samsung Fast Charger with Samsung cable is very very slow - same is also true of charging from PC USB ports or any other high power AC USB charger (Anker).

Battery % will drop while plugged into the charger if I am browsing the web etc...
Strange thing is if I plug it into my car charger it charges realy fast - many times fater than any AC power supply I have tried.

I have replaced the battery with one from a Samsung service centre - twice - and used a known working Samsung FastCharger and cable from another Samsung phone that is charging fine and used other cables and chargers that work fine Fast Charging other Samsung phones we have.

I have tried it with both the Fast Charging enabled and disabled in teh Battery settings and Ac charging performance is terrible no matter what.

Also around the same time I lost USB connection to PCs.
When I connect via USB the PC pops up a message "USB Device not recognised".
I've tried this on a few different PC's & laptops - same issue.
I've enabled developer mode and checked the USB config - switched it from MTP to Charging and back again - no different.

I have also tried a full factory reset of the phone and stripped off all but essential apps.
This has made no difference - still terrible charging performance from AC chargers (but good from car chargers) and still no USB connectivity to PC's.

Any ideas???

Last edited:

Bubba7x

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
I don't have a solution for this problem, but I just wanted to say that you are not alone. A few weeks ago, my note 4 stopped fast charging. I did nothing to it, it just stopped working. I factory reset it, and called samsung. They said to go to best buy and talk to the lead engineer. He plugged into the computer and that is when I ran into the device not recognized probem. I called them again and they wanted me to send it in for $75

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Since you have tried multiple cables, it sounds to me like one of the leads for the "data" part of the USB port in the device is dead - QuickCharge uses those to determine the allowed voltage and amperage to send down the charging wires and if no data comes back it assumes you want 5V @ 2A max.

You'd probably have to replace the USB port on your Note 4. $75 is pricey for that but about what I would expect a manufacturer to charge. The port isn't that hard to swap but the damage may also be in the motherboard which would be more expensive, and $75 seems to be the going minimum bench fee for manufacturers any more.

Here are the general instructions if you want to give it a go. Sounds like the part is about $25. It may or may not fix your problem - I'm assuming (which seems reasonable) that you simply have a worn out USB port which is not that unusual for something that has been around as long as the Note 4.

WARNING: The following guide is rated MODERATE because you have to go into the phone all the way to the screen. It is not a risk-free repair.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+Note+4+Micro-USB+Port+Daughterboard+Replacement/35006

I've generally found IFixIt's guides to be of excellent quality, but there are other guides that are Google-able if you prefer.

Bubba7x

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
A new charging daughter board and USB cable arrive today. I'll take it apart and put the new board in this afternoon, and see if it fixes the problem

Bubba7x

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
Update, installed the new board, I know I have installed it correctly, I did it before on different devices with different problems. This did NOT solve the problem. I still hAve a device not recognized error, and still do not have fast charging. Fixing to call the news about Samsung not taking care of their customers!

Robert MA

Aug 1, 2019
Visit site
Same issue wirh 1 of 2 Note 4s. Did all same trouble shooting.... car charger fine.... all ditto. My take: another System Update issue that Samsung won't acknowledge. Motorola did this with RAZR from 4.4 to 5.0, rendering phone useless, globally. This happened after I accidentally hit OK for the update on 1 of 2 identical phones. Verizon as carrier, Samsung as manufacturer, Google as Android OS....all refuse to acknowledge. Classic and continuous assault on consumers forcing obsolescence, forcing upgrades. They'll never admit to it. Motorola denied it, as did Apple. Forced system updates designed to retire old models.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's also a 5 year old phone, which in tech terms is pretty old. So there's more chance of hardware failure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888