What's under the Glass?

pvcleave

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Many people pick up a phone that is plastic and say it does not feel premium. So some manufactures use metal, but that interferes with wireless charging. Others use glass backs. My question is, what is under the glass? Is it plastic or some other material. We can be pretty confident it is not metal.

I am wondering if it really makes sense to put glass on the back of a phone, so it "feels premium", if it actually in no way contributes to making it premium. I have a glass backed phone, metal backed phone and a plastic phone. When I hold them, they all feel the same, because I put a case on it. In actuality, I did not always use a case on the plastic one. It is the glass that always has me worried.

Am I missing something does glass actually improve quality, or is it there simply for tactile reasons.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most glass panels are just electro-plated (so there is SOME metal there, just not conductive and that would be very frail on its own). Does it add anything to the phone? Nope. It is prettier than plastic, but maybe not as durable. It's lighter than metal, but not as sturdy.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My Honor 8 is a glass phone (both sides); and it was a beautiful phone and I loved it. However, my LG G3 and my Pixel 2 felt/feel just as good. It wasn't as if the glass made the phone feel any more "premium" - but I too would put cases on all of my phones; so I suppose it would be harder for me to comment on that. I just figured that the glass was an extra "benefit" but it was also an extra worry as I am clumsy and often bang into things!

All in all, I'd buy a phone whether it had a glass, metal, or plastic back.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
From the tear downs I've seen on iFixit, Samsungs have some sort of paint under the glass. Jerryrig even just has instructions how to remove the paint thing and have a transparent back for those who want that.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Glass is the worst in my opinion but some swear it makes for a premium feel. I'm not even sure exactly what that means.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Glass is the worst in my opinion but some swear it makes for a premium feel. I'm not even sure exactly what that means.

I suppose glass also adds a nice aesthetic; but I thought every phone I've ever owned looked nice, regardless of its material makeup.

And yes, what exactly does that term even mean anymore? It's always going to be up for debate, I guess!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, plastic feels cheap. Glass feels heavier and more durable, appears to have a nicer quality.
It's not more durable if dropped and very easily scratched. The problem today is that there aren't many non glass options if you want a top tier phone especially US carrier compatible.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm not saying it's more durable. I'm just saying it looks that way. I'd never carry my Note 8 around without a case
It's not more durable if dropped and very easily scratched. The problem today is that there aren't many non glass options if you want a top tier phone especially US carrier compatible.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not saying it's more durable. I'm just saying it looks that way. I'd never carry my Note 8 around without a case

That's cool and most phones are better off in a case regardless of phone composition. A case does negate the feel somewhat though.

thebatmangoeth2

Feb 21, 2018
Visit site
Remember when people made fun of the iPhone 4 that had glass that always broke? Now manufacturers are reaching to put more glass on the phone. It is dumb.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I want a glass back on my phone only if it is to enable the device to use wireless charging methods. I’m one of those people who ALWAYS has a case on my phone so I neither see nor feel the backside. As such, I’d be totally fine with a phone made out of the same material as the Nokia Lumia phones. They felt extremely durable and the only glass on the phone was the screen.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I do think it feels and looks better. Sure, it comes with the frailty trade-off, but TO ME (and pretty sure tons others, or we wouldn't be having this conversation) glass just looks better on a phone than plastic or badly-made metal. And glass on a phone 5 years ago is not the same as glass on a phone now, they have improved. It's US that haven't adapted our ways of actually taking care of a phone (which is why case manufacturers still make tons of money off of us).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I do think it feels and looks better. Sure, it comes with the frailty trade-off, but TO ME (and pretty sure tons others, or we wouldn't be having this conversation) glass just looks better on a phone than plastic or badly-made metal. And glass on a phone 5 years ago is not the same as glass on a phone now, they have improved. It's US that haven't adapted our ways of actually taking care of a phone (which is why case manufacturers still make tons of money off of us).

I definitely respect your point. My glass Honor 8, though 20 months old, still looks beautiful and pristine. I do miss having a glass phone.

Daj Jer

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
Personally I think that having glass on the back of a phone is not worth it. Wireless charging is not worthy enough for a glass back. I would rather have a metal back because it actually feels premium and won't crack like glass.

DBMaSterRWB

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
A glass back looks and feels good, but can it take a hit? can it survive a fall from a standing height into a concrete sidewalk without damage to the back or the screen? I am a firm believer of durable cases that both protect the phone and give it a better grip. Now if the glass had solar receptacles embedded or beneath it that would help the phone recharge itself . If you are going to use glass then why not make it useful and not just pretty?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech