So I got this used Note 4 with a multitude of issues, physically the phone looks news but a lot of software issues - freezing, shutting down and unable to restart, sometimes not even reacting to the power button.

spent half a day messing with it. Downgraded to 5.1 Lollipop via Odin software. That lost wifi. Ended up installing the bootloader as well.

Now running the lollipop but it was still kind of randomly going to sleep and not waking up or responding to any key sequences so I am not sure MM was _the_ issue. Installed WakeLocka and thus far. OK.

Out of the many Note 4s I've had, this is the most troublesome one.
    05-11-2019 10:42 PM
    I still have to do a soft reset every time I reboot. Everything I've seen indicates it's a hardware issue.

Take out the battery, hold the power button for a minute, insert, boot. *sigh*

Well, I got the device for $80 plus 3 cases such as Otterbox and others. Keeps running if I don't bounce it.

maybe a good gift for someone, say a great first phone. That's what I will do with it.
    05-12-2019 06:52 PM
    It seems to run much better. I no longer get freezes, lagging and random shutdowns.
    I don't know if I can attribute that to lollipop or to the fact I am running WakeLock.

The runtime is not that good, on a stock battery. If I set the phone and it's doing nothing - zero screen time, it still discharges from 100% to something like 25% at the end of the day.
    05-14-2019 09:46 AM
    Most likely a bad battery, and there could be motherboard problems too. I wouldn't give it to anyone as a gift unless you want to lose a friend.
    kct1975 likes this.
    05-18-2019 01:05 PM
    I tried about 5 different batteries. All fully charged (tested with a voltmeter, independently).
    It's definitely not the battery. I will next try that supersized ZeroLemon gizmo that works so well in my other Note 4s.

It's for a kid's first phone and I expect it to have the lifespan of a Kleenex tissue. Meaning if I will get 6 months out of it I will consider it a good run.

My son at that age went through multiple tablets, busted about 4 in the span of 2-3 years. It's painful to watch. And he bent his Note 4 very slightly, the frame and interestingly it all works.
    05-20-2019 10:36 AM
    It seems to run much better. I no longer get freezes, lagging and random shutdowns.
    I don't know if I can attribute that to lollipop or to the fact I am running WakeLock.

The runtime is not that good, on a stock battery. If I set the phone and it's doing nothing - zero screen time, it still discharges from 100% to something like 25% at the end of the day.
    Wake lock is a big must have for the Note 4. I'm sure that had some part in the improved performance.
    05-20-2019 10:40 AM
    I have several Note 4s, most Verizon.. no issues with anything. No need to run something in the background.

One that went bad was an AT&T phone. I don't know if there is any correlation there to anything. I wonder if I should try the experiment of shutting down WakeLock it currently runs with and see if it freezes.
    05-20-2019 10:45 AM