Add custom mp3. file to notification sounds list

frank1492

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Could somone please help. Once the mp3. file is created, please show the steps to include it in the list. I was able to do it once, but I'm not sure of the exact sequence of steps I took. Sequences are given online for Android, but not specifically for the Note 4. Thanks for help. Frank

frank1492

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I have looked at many of the folders in storage/emulated/0 and don't seem to be able to find the correct "notifications" folder or sub-folder. I would expect it to contain the stock sounds e.g. "temple bell" etc. Could you give me a little help on this? Also what format do the stock files have? Are they .mp3 or something else? Your help is very much appreciated.

frank1492

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry I neglected to follow the link. Stupid. Looks like all the answers will be there. Please don't bother to write unless I have further questions. Thanks again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't look for a folder with the preinstalled system sounds -- that's a protected system directory that isn't visible to the user unless the phone is rooted.

/storage/emulated/0/ is essentiallly the "root" user directory (not the true system root, but the topmost directory the user can access). One of the directories there should be /Notifications. If you don't see one, then you can create it using the file manager app, then put the sound file in that directory and see if it now shows up as a selection.

I'm not sure what format the stock sounds are. They're probably mp3, but could also be ogg or wav files.

frank1492

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Your comments are very useful- have not yet looked at the link. In farting around (before this discussion) I did add a couple of .mp3 sounds to the stock notifications list, not sure how. How would that happen if they were in a hidden system directory?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might depend on the device -- some might look in other directories besides /Notifications as well (like /Download) to add sounds to the selection list. Remember, the stock notification list you refer to isn't a directory -- it's the system showing you what sounds are available to choose. The system can look in more than one place to show you what's available.

Do you remember where you added those mp3 files?

frank1492

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
No but I have some good news. I created a NOTIFICATIONS folder and a RING TONES folder. I transferred an .mp3 file to R.T. Now RINGTONES on the settings panel shows that file and plays it when a call comes through. I used ES Explorer to manipulate files/folders. When you tap on R.T. the folder/ file is shown in ES. Previously it brought up a panel with the stock R.T. to choose from.
An exactly analogous method was used for the notifications. N. shows the correct file, *but* the notification does not sound for any event. As I said, the setup is identical to the R.T. Any ideas?

frank1492

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Note that I did not follow the tutorial link because I had good results for the ringtone. If the N. problem persists I will use that more complicated method.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried other custom sound files for notifications? Does it work if you choose one of the preinstalled notification tones?

frank1492

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
It works now but I made so many adjustments not sure which one did it. Thank you again for all your help. Please see my other post also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol