Note 5 won't charge, phone has been idle for 3 years

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used the Note 5 in about 3 years and now when I plug the Samsung charger into it it won't charge. I see the grayed out battery icon with the charge symbol but I don't see the scrolling charge animation.

Is there any trick to getting the battery to charge again? Is my only other option is to replace the battery?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The battery probably drained to true zero, which is irreversible. You could try keeping it plugged in for 24 hours straight, undisturbed, then see if it powers on when you press and hold Power for about 30 seconds.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The battery probably drained to true zero, which is irreversible. You could try keeping it plugged in for 24 hours straight, undisturbed, then see if it powers on when you press and hold Power for about 30 seconds.

OK. I'll try 24 hours or overnight. I did 6 or 8 hours and nothing. Thanks.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The reason I'm trying to revive the Note is to get a trade in value of $150 towards the Pixel 5. I suppose I could replace the battery and then send the phone in. Or do you think the Note 5 is worth anything as is on Swappa or ebay? The phone is still really pristine and still has a screen protector on it since the day I got it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I always see devices on sale on eBay as Parts Only, but it might be hard to get $150. I do see some listings for $160-180, but I'm not sure how successful they'll be.

Sometimes it can take quite a long while for a really drained battery to charge up, so give it at least 24 hrs.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I always see devices on sale on eBay as Parts Only, but it might be hard to get $150. I do see some listings for $160-180, but I'm not sure how successful they'll be.

Sometimes it can take quite a long while for a really drained battery to charge up, so give it at least 24 hrs.
Success! Magically the phone lit up and showed 1% and started charging. Once it hit 100% I logged in and wiped the phone.

The Note 5 is such a nice phone I'm tempted to keep it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! If you do keep it but leave it in storage, make sure the battery is around 50% (which is healthier for the battery in storage, rather than 100%), and set a reminder to power the phone on every 6 months or so to power it back on and make sure it hasn't drained too much.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Great! If you do keep it but leave it in storage, make sure the battery is around 50% (which is healthier for the battery in storage, rather than 100%), and set a reminder to power the phone on every 6 months or so to power it back on and make sure it hasn't drained too much.

It would also be a good idea to make sure it is updated every so often so if it is needed in an emergency, it would be ready.