07-28-2015 10:55 PM
165 12345 ...
tools
    So now everybody is going to chime in and say they have never had to pull a battery due to a performance issue of some sort or, only had to do it to a 4 year old phone. That's ok, I don't believe 99% of the garbage I hear on the internet anyway.
    I don't recall ever doing that to an android phone for performance issues and I've had a few android phones. Now Blackberry? Well of course, all the time.

G3 📱🍭
    03-07-2015 07:35 PM
    I don't recall ever doing that to an android phone for performance issues and I've had a few android phones. Now Blackberry? Well of course, all the time.

G3 📱🍭
    BB Pearl, Curve, Bold, Storm = every day
    03-07-2015 08:20 PM
    Yeah, I surely remember battery pulls on devices like my old treos. Sheesh, the treos actually included a reset button behind the back cover.
    I really honestly don't remember it with android. Maybe I did on my Thunderbolt, but I don't remember.
    As far as my Note 2; A little lag here and there, but never a freeze up requiring a reset.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-07-2015 08:54 PM
    +1k

03-08-2015 10:08 AM
    So now everybody is going to chime in and say they have never had to pull a battery due to a performance issue of some sort or, only had to do it to a 4 year old phone. That's ok, I don't believe 99% of the garbage I hear on the internet anyway.
    On my old S4,one of the Anker batteries I bought clearly deteriorated and wasn't holding a charge well any more. I had the device for about 18 months and the Anker for about 16, rotating it with 2 other batteries. It would not have been fun to have to send the phone in with a fixed battery for replacement in such an instance.
    03-08-2015 10:47 AM
    Removable battery and SD card are KEY features for me, and I'll likely be holding onto my Note 4 for a long time if Samsung drops those. Plus, I really like the Note 4's textured soft-touch back cover and edgy metal frame. They look good and make for a better grip on the phone. I don't use a case. I don't want a glass back nor the rounded metal edge so reminiscent of the iPhone 6.

Though a separate issue, I don't plan to install the Lollipop upgrade on my Note 4. Did it on my Nexus 7 (2013) and hated it, went through the hassle to take it back to KitKat. Lollipop would also deter me from buying any new phone. I likely wouldn't upgrade for two years anyway (Note 6?), so hopefully there will be a better version of Android by then.
    monsieurms and anticlutch like this.
    03-08-2015 11:03 AM
    These are two of the best features of Android phones, and if Samsung doesn't offer them on future models I'll move to a manufacturer that does.
    03-08-2015 01:39 PM
    Personally i would be fine with those options being eliminated, im good with 128gb and non removable so long as battery life is good. I never use extra batteries anyway, of course we all have our different needs.

I have always preferred a non-removable battery. Mainly because Samsung build quality has been cheap and even with metal they use an ugly, flimsy plastic battery door. Can't stand it.

My Samsung ATIV Laptop has a built in battery which will bite me in the rear in 2 years but I know how to replace them. Seems as if everything I buy is built in now lol.

I do have a 9000 mah portable charger on standby though. So even if my Turbo dies and I have a power outage I can charge it a few times. But I do understand as consumers we need options so hopefully they don't remove the feature for your sake.
    03-08-2015 02:03 PM
    I agree to a point. It would be good market research to see which sold more... Kind of a cost/benefit analysis. I'm sure the 'no sd/removable battery' saves cost but if they moved more units of the open back phone it may offset the costs. If they sold more of the closed back phone then they made more $ on all of all those units... Win/win and win for customers plus they'd know what consumers want on a go forward. The things I love most about my s4 is the battery instant swaps and SD card. Pretty sure I'm going with the note 4 next because of those features.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-10-2015 11:48 AM
    I agree to a point. It would be good market research to see which sold more... Kind of a cost/benefit analysis. I'm sure the 'no sd/removable battery' saves cost but if they moved more units of the open back phone it may offset the costs. If they sold more of the closed back phone then they made more $ on all of all those units... Win/win and win for customers plus they'd know what consumers want on a go forward. The things I love most about my s4 is the battery instant swaps and SD card. Pretty sure I'm going with the note 4 next because of those features.

Posted via Android Central App
    To be fair and honest, there are not enough customers upset about the loss of removables for Samsung to even notice if those customers were to boycott the S6, S7, etc. They will easily bring in enough new customers with the S6 that the loss of disgruntled customers is negligible.

That's why they did what they did. To have the most customers and make the most money at the lowest costs. I will not be buying the S6 but there are countless new-to-Samsung customers that will. The math says they did the right thing for their shareholders.

📐♻from the Note Edge🔍✒
    03-10-2015 02:10 PM
    Well, we'll find out if that's true. If the NOTE line retains removable batteries and sd card slots, it is more than likely true. Then, they have an easy alternative for people in a larger form factor. They can take the position, "Well, if you want a really high end, full featured device, that's the NOTE. If you want a fancy phone, that's the S series."

If, however, they do away with them on ALL models--I'm willing to bet it isn't true. They will lose customers and very likely on a permanent basis. There are spin-offs, too. I bought a Samsung tv because of its screen mirror feature--integration with Samsung phones. I wouldn't have cared otherwise.
    03-12-2015 06:59 AM
    I would prefer to see the Note 5 get some of the S6 features but retain some of Note's key features. Give it the S6's, fingerprint sensor, Samsung Pay, 16MP Camera, DDR4 RAM, and 64GB internal storage and keep the 128GB microSD support and removable battery.

That would be ideal to me, best of both worlds. Sadly I see it this way, the die is pretty much cast on the Note 5 already its not like Samsung wasn't designing it along with the S6/Edge models to see what will/won't work. Plus the Note is announced in early September and its early March so 6 months out to totally redesign a premium phone.

While I have my eyes on the S6 Edge I may not get one, and could get the Note 4, I feel the Note 4 Edge features are a bit gimmicky for me where I see the S6 Edges features useful. Plus there is the whole Lollipop waiting game, why get last years OS when I can get a more current one.
    03-13-2015 05:16 PM
    Because you will have a working phone.
    03-13-2015 07:51 PM
    Here's a writer who gets. Watch him systematically destroy Samsung's rationalizations:

The Samsung Galaxy S6 just killed two of my favorite Android features - CNET
    03-16-2015 12:06 PM
    Here's a writer who gets. Watch him systematically destroy Samsung's rationalizations:

Yeahp.

♻from the Note 4 📶
    monsieurms likes this.
    03-16-2015 12:29 PM
    " Say it ain't so, Samsung."

Nice to see a journalist not relying on the OEM's for his supper.

(I'm coming back around to being a little peeved about the sealed battery, whether I get an S6 or not. Not peeved about the sd card, but understand most of those who are. )

He says all Samsung have got left is their software, which is a point.

The Galaxy line has been known for removables, he says. I think this is not a successor to the S5 except for size.

Rename it the Samsung T6 (Terninator! )
    03-16-2015 12:45 PM

Excerpt below summarizes my thoughts. I just hope they don't do the same thing with the Note line.

"In the end, as slick as the S6 might look, it marks a victory of form over functionality and flexibility. That flexibility is what differentiated Samsung's Android phones from Apple's iPhones. Now it just comes down to an operating system, and I'm not sure that's a battle Samsung's going to win."
    monsieurms likes this.
    03-16-2015 12:47 PM
    Excerpt below summarizes my thoughts. I just hope they don't do the same thing with the Note line.

"In the end, as slick as the S6 might look, it marks a victory of form over functionality and flexibility. That flexibility is what differentiated Samsung's Android phones from Apple's iPhones. Now it just comes down to an operating system, and I'm not sure that's a battle Samsung's going to win."
    Summarizes my thoughts, too! Still hoping Note line will be immune--or, they back off. It's happened before. Honestly--I just can't see what sense in makes in this crowded marketplace to make yourself look like everyone else.
    03-16-2015 01:30 PM
    I can honestly say now with the Android phone line-ups, theres a button combo to perform a reset if the phone freezes. I had a Droid RAZR MAXX for 3 years without issued and now I have G3 and I can reset it without a battery pull.

But on the other hand, I travel a lot and I love being able to pull my battery then pop a new one in and let the dead on charge with the charger and battery pack and I have a new battery again if needed.

I would love to see them keep the SD card and removable battery. Also would like to see a developers edition as well. I still haven't seen root for the N4 except for the dev edition.
    03-16-2015 10:56 PM
    I have always preferred having expandable storage. Never had a smartphone that didn't have it. Don't mind the non removable battery as I never bought an extra battery... Ever. My HTC One M8 gets along great. And I don't need to swap my Note 4's battery as it doesn't come close to dying.

But expandable storage I've long time regarded as a deal breaker. The reasons I skipped on the M7, all the Nexuses and those great Moto X/Droid Turbo devices. So if they do away with it on Note 5, then I've purchased my last Samsung device for a while.
    monsieurms likes this.
    03-17-2015 10:48 AM
    It's simple, they're trying to convience us to pick bigger(and more expensive) storage version upfront because we won't be able to expand it later.
    03-19-2015 05:32 PM
    I want/need these features to remain in the Note series.
    Let the S series be for those who don't know or care.
    monsieurms likes this.
    03-27-2015 10:51 PM
    I want/need these features to remain in the Note series.
    Let the S series be for those who don't know or care.
    I saw the S6 and S6E yesterday. They were okay but that HUGE PLASTIC camera wart didn't look so great to me.

♻from the n.4 Prime✒🍭
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    03-28-2015 04:53 AM
    To me, the s6 is a gorgeous phone. I'll never get it but man does it look yummy.
    03-28-2015 08:18 AM
    It's simple, they're trying to convience us to pick bigger(and more expensive) storage version upfront because we won't be able to expand it later.
    I doubt that they are that sinister and premeditated, but as a practical matter you are certainly correct. Without SD cards, you are forced to buy the same space over and again every time you change phones, at increasingly pricey levels as the storage amount increases.
    03-28-2015 12:01 PM
165 12345 ...