Please Samsung, don't do this to the Note 5!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Having you buy a new phone because the battery is no good anymore is what the manufacture wants. They are no dumdum. I have a note 2 and my battery shat the bed a few months ago so I got a new battery. Without this feature, you are forced to buy a new phone or send it in.
The issue, in its entirety, is that this works for Apple. Samsung is just doing what Apple does and hoping for the same sales numbers. If they meet or exceed them they will decide they made the right choice.

🔊from the n.3 Monolith 🎧

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Also I read somewhere that Samsung doesn't make money on oem batteries so this will make them money in the long run also.

maduro78

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Can't really say removable batt and SD card were the most appealing features. If that were the case the s6 wouldn't be projected to shatter sales records.

Moto X 2014

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Can't really say removable batt and SD card were the most appealing features. If that were the case the s6 wouldn't be projected to shatter sales records.

Moto X 2014

False logic. There are lots of people who don't care, of course. But if they remove these features from the NOTE series, let's see what happens when Samsung customers start going elsewhere. This is a pretty tight market--and Samsung has taken some hits lately. You don't have to lose 30% of your customers to have a disaster. If 6% defect for THIS and 5% defect for THAT--you've got a problem. Then, there are the spin-offs. I have a Samsung tv and tablet, too, because of integration with Samsung. None of those things had to happen. It's comfortable being in the same ecosystem.

Or, let's put this a simpler way. Does the success of the S6 mean the s-pen should be ditched? I mean, it doesn't have one. That must mean it's a failure?

Last edited:

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I sincerely hope the note 5 will undergo the same total redesign the S6 did but with a massive battery as well. That would be best for me

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I sincerely hope the note 5 will undergo the same total redesign the S6 did but with a massive battery as well. That would be best for me
20 lashes with a wet noodle for you. Blasphemy. Blasphemy I say.

If Samsung S6's the Note 5 they'll lose quite a few customers, including this one.

📐He who controls the Spice controls the universe. The Spice must flow. n.Edge

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Ah, big batteries aren't important. Especially if you have removable ones. ;)

But really--I don't care about normal battery size. On a normal day, I work from home, I'm always near a charger. Battery capacity issues are irrelevant. When I do have battery issues, like 14 hour plane rides--a big one is not a guarantee of fixing my problem anyway.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

If Samsung S6's the Note 5 they'll lose quite a few customers, including this one.

📐He who controls the Spice controls the universe. The Spice must flow. n.Edge

Isn't the s6 doing very well and aren't a lot of people wanting the s6?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Isn't the s6 doing very well and aren't a lot of people wanting the s6?
The Toyota Prius is doing well and a lot of folks want that too. That doesn't make it an exciting desirable product to me.

Like the Prius, the S6/S6e made compromises that don't appeal to this customer. That's all.

📐Welcome to the Dark. From the Note Edge.🍷

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

������He who controls the Spice controls the universe. The Spice must flow. n.Edge

Ah, big batteries aren't important. Especially if you have removable ones. ;)

But really--I don't care about normal battery size. On a normal day, I work from home, I'm always near a charger. Battery capacity issues are irrelevant. When I do have battery issues, like 14 hour plane rides--a big one is not a guarantee of fixing my problem anyway.

I've had phones with 3000 mAh batteries and up and I find it far more convenient to be able to only have to charge my phone every other day than carry around an extra piece of hardware with me. The first is a minor nuisance but still a nuisance to me, the second I find unnecessary and outdated.

Even though I find them redundant on any phone that has a large built in storage capacity I get that some people can't let go of their attachment to SD cards. I'm not one of them, but no probs, if that's really your thing I'm not going to hack at you about it. But this removable battery fixation I don't get. Put a larger battery in. There's only a very small segment of consumers who's activities cause them need to lug around a spare on a phone with a big battery.

Either way though guys, what I meant by "S6-ing" the Note 5 was using the same nice quality glass-aluminum as well as trimming down TW ;)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had phones with 3000 mAh batteries and up and I find it far more convenient to be able to only have to charge my phone every other day than carry around an extra piece of hardware with me. The first is a minor nuisance but still a nuisance to me, the second I find unnecessary and outdated.

Even though I find them redundant on any phone that has a large built in storage capacity I get that some people can't let go of their attachment to SD cards. I'm not one of them, but no probs, if that's really your thing I'm not going to hack at you about it. But this removable battery fixation I don't get. Put a larger battery in. There's only a very small segment of consumers who's activities cause them need to lug around a spare on a phone with a big battery.

Either way though guys, what I meant by "S6-ing" the Note 5 was using the same nice quality glass-aluminum as well as trimming down TW ;)
Batteries wear out. Its that simple. I like to be able to replace a worn battery myself, quickly and easily. It really is no more complicated than that. I also enjoy being able to slip a 128+GB SD card into my phone and move it to another one of my phones if I want.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Batteries wear out. Its that simple. I like to be able to replace a worn battery myself, quickly and easily. It really is no more complicated than that. I also enjoy being able to slip a 128+GB SD card into my phone and move it to another one of my phones if I want.

My thoughts Exactly! Yes lasting throughout the day is important, more importantly the 'Choice' to extend the life/usability of the phone by 'Replacing' the battery!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts Exactly! Yes lasting throughout the day is important, more importantly the 'Choice' to extend the life/usability of the phone by 'Replacing' the battery!
...and the smaller the battery the more you'll be charging it. ...and the more you charge/discharge it the faster it will wear out and need to be replaced. With a removable battery this is not something that even warrants a 2nd thought and barely needs to be considered. With a sealed battery its either the end of the phone or a lengthy service to have the battery replaced...unless you want to rip open the phone's chassis yourself and hope not to damage anything.

I'm not making this up, its simply true.

This is why the S6/S6e doesn't work for me. Not only is the battery smallish but its sealed in.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

A larger capacity sealed/embedded battery still limits my options and forces me to have to plug the phone into a charging source. Whereas with a user-replaceable battery I maintain the option to swap it out on the fly to get back to a full charge within minutes (something not even fast charging is able to do). Personally I find that option invaluable as it not only keeps my phone untethered at all times, but allows me the freedom to use it as hard as I like knowing that spare will be back to a full charge faster than I can drain the one in the phone. Rinse and repeat that cycle as much as wanted/needed.

Also unlike a sealed/embedded battery, no worries about managing the charge level hoping to maintain its longevity, or having to deal with one that may be losing its capacity, or worse one that just goes bad. Instead I can have multiple batteries (as many as I want) to spread out the wear and tear or just use and abuse them without worry as they can be easily replaced (at minimal cost). :)

As to the Note 5 design, I really hope they DON'T go with glass-aluminum. Instead maintain a similar design language of the Note 4 with the metal sides, anodized but no paint and make the back softer and more rubbery for a better grip (no case, I prefer to use it naked).

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
IMO, the Note 4 and Note Edge are beautiful, well made, and flexible devices. Should Samsung veer away from that design language for their successors it would not only be unjustified but a mistake as well, IMO. Its truly not only not broken but that it does not need breaking. So Samsung, don't break it.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
IMO, the Note 4 and Note Edge are beautiful, well made, and flexible devices. Should Samsung veer away from that design language for their successors it would not only be unjustified but a mistake as well, IMO. Its truly not only not broken but that it does not need breaking. So Samsung, don't break it.

??????Welcome to the Dark. From the Note Edge.??????

Agreed! Samsung already re-designed the Note 4 (and Note Edge) to be more premium (compared to previous Note devices), so really no major re-design needed with the Note 5. May be some minor improvements, but shouldn't be anything major that would remove features such as a user-replaceable battery and SD card.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
A larger capacity sealed/embedded battery still limits my options and forces me to have to plug the phone into a charging source. Whereas with a user-replaceable battery I maintain the option to swap it out on the fly to get back to a full charge within minutes (something not even fast charging is able to do). Personally I find that option invaluable as it not only keeps my phone untethered at all times, but allows me the freedom to use it as hard as I like knowing that spare will be back to a full charge faster than I can drain the one in the phone. Rinse and repeat that cycle as much as wanted/needed.

Also unlike a sealed/embedded battery, no worries about managing the charge level hoping to maintain its longevity, or having to deal with one that may be losing its capacity, or worse one that just goes bad. Instead I can have multiple batteries (as many as I want) to spread out the wear and tear or just use and abuse them without worry as they can be easily replaced (at minimal cost). :)

As to the Note 5 design, I really hope they DON'T go with glass-aluminum. Instead maintain a similar design language of the Note 4 with the metal sides, anodized but no paint and make the back softer and more rubbery for a better grip (no case, I prefer to use it naked).
I would argue that carrying an extra piece of hardware is more inconvenient than what you're describing with a long lasting embedded battery that doesn't require charging as often.. As for what you and Halycon mentioned about overall battery longevity and wearing out, I've only ever seen this become an issue on phones I've owned longer than 2 years. And those were using older battery tech.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
False logic. There are lots of people who don't care, of course. But if they remove these features from the NOTE series, let's see what happens when Samsung customers start going elsewhere. This is a pretty tight market--and Samsung has taken some hits lately. You don't have to lose 30% of your customers to have a disaster. If 6% defect for THIS and 5% defect for THAT--you've got a problem. Then, there are the spin-offs. I have a Samsung tv and tablet, too, because of integration with Samsung. None of those things had to happen. It's comfortable being in the same ecosystem.

Or, let's put this a simpler way. Does the success of the S6 mean the s-pen should be ditched? I mean, it doesn't have one. That must mean it's a failure?

I have a Samsung TV and laptop. Would you believe that my laptop has a non removable battery? This may be a problem in the future but I'll just replace it if needed. I'm just happy it never gets hot and lasts 7-11 hours on a charge lol.

I've used phones with non removable batteries for years. I upgrade every two years at the latest so it works for me. Those who keep phones longer may see an issue.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I would argue that carrying an extra piece of hardware is more inconvenient than what you're describing with a long lasting embedded battery that doesn't require charging as often.. As for what you and Halycon mentioned about overall battery longevity and wearing out, I've only ever seen this become an issue on phones I've owned longer than 2 years. And those were using older battery tech.

I don't take the spare battery and its charger/case with me all the time as my Note 4 gets very good battery life. I only take it on the occasion when I think I may need the option or I know I'll be away from a charging source for an extended period of time. In those cases it's very portable and easily slips right into a pocket as it's pretty slim (pic below). Its wall charger only comes along when traveling out of town, otherwise if needed I just connect it in the car (via a standard car charger) or when at work to my PC (via a spare USB cable left there). In comparison with an embedded battery, even though it may last a long time you're stuck having to connect it and wait for a charge, something that can take longer the more the battery has been discharged or the higher its capacity. Then if you want to use it while it's charging you have to deal with the attached cable or an external battery pack (if used). To me, that's a much bigger inconvenience than dealing with an extra battery and its charger. But different strokes for different folks. :)

1.jpg