07-28-2015 10:55 PM
165 ... 4567
tools
    I recently picked up a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (replaced an OG Note 10.1 and an old Dell laptop) that has a sealed/embedded battery. But that does NOT mean I'm now OK with the same on the Note 5. Tablets/laptops are an apple to oranges comparison and IMO do not apply here.
    Applies to me.

I'll replace my phone every two years so its life beyond that means little to me. I never have to swap batteries and would never carry a spare even if it was removable.

I'll keep my laptop for many years because it'll do everything for that time with no slow down. Its battery may need to be replaced but I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

This is my experience, not yours. We all have our preferences and we must accept that. I do believe embedded batteries are becoming the standard though and me mentioning my laptop was nothing more than to support that point.
    04-17-2015 06:55 PM
    Applies to me.

I'll replace my phone every two years so its life beyond that means little to me. I never have to swap batteries and would never carry a spare even if it was removable.

I'll keep my laptop for many years because it'll do everything for that time with no slow down. Its battery may need to be replaced but I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

This is my experience, not yours. We all have our preferences and we must accept that. I do believe embedded batteries are becoming the standard though and me mentioning my laptop was nothing more than to support that point.
    But tablets/laptops have vastly larger batteries in them and are typically used differently than smartphones. So again, that comparison is NOT apt here.

We'll see though (regarding the Note 5), I still think you guys are way off assuming it will follow the S6.

Meanwhile, there's no response to my post about swapping a battery to get back to a full charge in 3 minutes. Hmmmm, why's that?
    04-17-2015 08:20 PM
    I agree with everything the writer stated

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-17-2015 08:22 PM
    But tablets/laptops have vastly larger batteries in them and are typically used differently than smartphones. So again, that comparison is NOT apt here.

We'll see though (regarding the Note 5), I still think you guys are way off assuming it will follow the S6.

Meanwhile, there's no response to my post about swapping a battery to get back to a full charge in 3 minutes. Hmmmm, why's that?
    Because I never have to swap batteries so its unnecessary.

I'm never against options or the ability to remove it necessarily. Anyone who is would be insane! But I also don't want cheap, thin plastic covers that creak. Now, in saying that, the Note 3 and Note 4 were made with almost no give so it doesn't matter. The S5, however, was the more creaky phone I've ever used. Much worse than the Note 2 which had a creaky battery cover and bezel.
    04-17-2015 08:40 PM
    I think those proclaiming it's a forgone conclusion the Note 5 will follow the S6 with a sealed/embedded battery are jumping the gun. These are two different lines of devices designed for different types of users. So one does NOT necessarily follow the other.
    I think that's right. We've also seen companies go this route and then reverse themselves, too. High end phones are by definition devices for power users. If you don't want lots of fancy features of course, there's no reason to buy one at all and many don't. Many people are happy with basic stuff. But when you DO get to the high end, there will be demand for the esoteric, even if I were to concede it's esoteric. The percentage of people who WANT lots of stuff is higher at that end by definition. If they didn't, they wouldn't be trolling in that pond.

In any event, they are deal breaker features for me. If they no longer exist in Samsung, I buy from whomever has them. Someone will---because in a market where so many are desperate for a few extra points of market share, doing something to differentiate yourself from the masses is something that works to make you stand out. Um, it worked for Samsung. Maybe they'll return the favor that Apple's stubbornness gave them to some other up-and-comer.
    GregMargie likes this.
    04-18-2015 11:13 AM
    Deleted
    04-20-2015 02:16 PM
    I love my Note 4. But my fear is that Samsung will do away with the removable battery and microSD options, like they've done with the S6 and S6 Edge. IMHO these were two of the best (most desirable) options about Samsung devices. What difference does it make to have up to 128GB of internal memory if you can't remove it to transfer it to a new (or extra) phone or other device??? And with these large, high output screens, I'd rather carry an extra battery around than have to carry around a charger (and look for a place to plug it in). Yes, there are plug-in battery packs, etc., available, but I don't want the extra unwieldy bulk of trying to use my phone with something plugged into it while it's charging. So I (and I'm sure just about all other Note 4 users) hope that these options remain on the upcoming Note 5.

If you agree (or disagree), please comment. Maybe Samsung will pay attention.
    This is exactly the reason I left HTC years ago and will leave Samsung if they do this to the NOTE line. Really really disappointing. So much easier to take an extra battery along instead of a big charger.

Ntchwaidumela and monsieurms like this.
    04-21-2015 10:37 AM
    This is exactly the reason I left HTC years ago and will leave Samsung if they do this to the NOTE line. Really really disappointing. So much easier to take an extra battery along instead of a big charger.

This will happen eventually. They will all have non removable batteries.
    04-21-2015 12:40 PM
    I read that the S6 Active may have an SD card slot or removable battery or possibly both. My guess is that the Note 5 will have those since it is their high end device.
    04-21-2015 08:57 PM
    I read that the S6 Active may have an SD card slot or removable battery or possibly both. My guess is that the Note 5 will have those since it is their high end device.
    Maybe, but technically the S6 is their flagship device so why would they change that?
    04-21-2015 09:01 PM
    Maybe, but technically the S6 is their flagship device so why would they change that?
    That is what I was thinking. Why add back two missing features in the acrive model since it doesn't sell as many units?

Probably just a rumor since I have not seen any other mention but it would be great to have in the Note 5.
    04-23-2015 07:33 PM
    I hope the Note 5 can be designed with removable Battery and an SD slot but if they seal it up like the S6, I'm keeping my Note 4 for a long time.
    Plus the slowing rate of improvements over previous models offer little reasons to purchase the next Note, unless Samsung does something spectacular
    monsieurms and Ntchwaidumela like this.
    04-24-2015 02:03 AM
    I want/need these features to remain in the Note series.
    Let the S series be for those who don't know or care.
    I was checking out the S6 and S6 edge phone, but when I learned they don't have a Micro SD card slot or Removeable battery, I said to myself "Nope, back to looking at Note 4."
    Oh yeah, and I Need the S Pen.

I have the Note 3.
    monsieurms likes this.
    05-17-2015 01:40 PM
    I hope the Note 5 can be designed with removable Battery and an SD slot but if they seal it up like the S6, I'm keeping my Note 4 for a long time.
    Plus the slowing rate of improvements over previous models offer little reasons to purchase the next Note, unless Samsung does something spectacular
    And with little enough reason to purchase new ones no matter what, they should certainly think twice about creating additional reasons not to purchase.
    OceanView likes this.
    05-18-2015 07:25 AM
    I love the sd removable battery feature ...I am waiting g for the note 5 this fall for my upgrade on my plan ...although I use a note 3 and could upgrade to the 4 ...I just can't see passing up the 5 ...having the battery option is a must if you use your phone like the power house it is ...movies downloads tether etc...the phone line is just boss if you use it like it's built to do ...as far as the sd card ....I would not have it any other way storage storage storage ..movies eat up a lot or room ......is that not what the big screen is for ....so if you read this Samsung ...do what you like to the other phone lines you produce but the note line is your ferrari and for those of us that know how to drive .....we expect nothing less then your best with all the goodies we have come to love anything less will be a step backwards and a open door for other companies to fill the void in ...you have set the pace ...so do not disappoint

monsieurms likes this.
    06-16-2015 08:50 PM
    I was one of those where not having a removable SD and battery was a dealbreaker for me, but I have changed on both. I got the Droid Turbo.....yes I know it is lagging in getting 5.1, but that is still "promised soon".....but the device is a beast and has no SD or removable battery. I don't miss either one. I got the 64GB version and have more space than I need, plus I put many of my files on Google Drive. I have had issues with SD cards failing, so I no longer need to worry about that either, and I never keep anything longer than 2 years, so the battery is not an issue for me either. For me, it is just 2 less things to worry about. And by the way, just because the battery isn't "easily" removable doesn't mean it can't be replaced. Most can still actually be replaced by a service center if they fail after the warranty has expired. Just my opinion here....but I'm now glad I don't have either one!
    06-21-2015 08:05 PM
    Couldn't agree more I love my Note 4 (even though the settings change on their own) but I would love to see the Note 5 with the removable back

06-26-2015 03:57 PM
    Forbes Magazine on Flipboard predicts today that, based on a leaked design, the Note 5 will not have removable batteries an no SD cards.

They said the battery size will increase dramatically, but they noted that the real issue would be with SD cards, because buying hdd space--a point I and others have made--is pricey. They distinguished the Note user base vs the S series, calling the Note folks more hard core--and predicting "universal" angst if this turned out to be true.

I wasn't buying a 5 anyway. I might not need one as a 6, but we'll see It is a long way aways. If that's the way it goes, I guess I'm in the market for another phone mfg. or I'll just keep the 4 a bit longer.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    06-27-2015 03:27 PM
    It will need to be interesting and tempting and not too pricey.

I think many will buy out of worry the Note 4 will become obsolete fast, passe, or just need to have the next thing.

Many may also not buy if it has a sealed battery and rom, and try to stretch the Note 4 another year - but will only hit the brick wall then anyway.

If it is styled like the S6 but reviews well in the first 3 months, the die hards will adjust their priorities and cave in to the inevitable.

What chance a Note 5 Active later on?
    06-27-2015 03:43 PM
    Haha note 5 active? I would buy that in a heart beat.
    06-27-2015 03:50 PM
    Haha note 5 active? I would buy that in a heart beat.
    Me too. I would prefer a ruggedised Note, but would like a flip cover for the screen as well. Bigger battery, dust, shock proof and water resistant etc.

I would buy it in 5 or 6 heartbeats so I could check my wallet first.
    06-27-2015 04:03 PM
    Me too. I would prefer a ruggedised Note, but would like a flip cover for the screen as well. Bigger battery, dust, shock proof and water resistant etc.

I would buy it in 5 or 6 heartbeats so I could check my wallet first.
    Lol. I guess I would have to check my wallet also but it would be awesome.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    06-27-2015 09:29 PM
    I think many will buy out of worry the Note 4 will become obsolete fast, passe, or just need to have the next thing.

If it is styled like the S6 but reviews well in the first 3 months, the die hards will adjust their priorities and cave in to the inevitable.
    I think it will be a long, long time before the Note 4 becomes obsolete. I was saying during the hoopla about its debut that I had maybe one more 2-year upgrade in me, and then it was going to pretty much be "keep it until it falls apart." I don't deal with their jump plans and what not--I own. It's paid off. If I keep it 3 or 4 years instead of 2, I don't see much issue barring some unbelievable innovation. If it's just a matter of the one I have getting old, at that point you'll also be able to buy more or less new ones on ebay and get another.

In other words, there is no rush to run out and "cave in." My prediction has always been that someone will fill the gap if Samsung abandons it. I'll have plenty of time to sort that out. Like this:

Discover the LG G4 – Release Date, Specs & Where to Buy | LG USA
    anon8380037 likes this.
    06-28-2015 07:05 AM
    If all of the carriers would agree to bootloader unlock their devices 1 year after initial activation, that would prolong the life of the device even further. Nowadays, 2 year old phones are mainly obsolete because they don't get the latest updates, if any at all, when most higher end phones are still worth updating after 2 years.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    anon8380037 likes this.
    06-28-2015 09:00 AM
    I think it will be a long, long time before the Note 4 becomes obsolete. I was saying during the hoopla about its debut that I had maybe one more 2-year upgrade in me, and then it was going to pretty much be "keep it until it falls apart." I don't deal with their jump plans and what not--I own. It's paid off. If I keep it 3 or 4 years instead of 2, I don't see much issue barring some unbelievable innovation. If it's just a matter of the one I have getting old, at that point you'll also be able to buy more or less new ones on ebay and get another.

In other words, there is no rush to run out and "cave in." My prediction has always been that someone will fill the gap if Samsung abandons it. I'll have plenty of time to sort that out. Like this:

Discover the LG G4 – Release Date, Specs & Where to Buy | LG USA
    I agree with you.

I was speaking about the Note buying population in general of course, not officianado's like your good self.

It does seem though that they are trying to reduce the marketing life cycle of top end devices to a year, and why wouldn't they?, just by making new fad features.

It also seems a new OS update is more a marketing drive to increase sales than a technological efficiency drive, but I'm sure that's been discussed.
    What do Google gain directly by investing almost a year on a new OS. (I haven't thought that through)

I have always either bought outright, or secured a fantastic discount on a superceded phone (S2) or bought new privately on eBay at 75‰ of retail (Note 3).
    I never had a 24 month contract save for the cheap sim I had to get to secure the unlocked nib S2 at £140, and my first company phone in '97/98.

Your comments on the Note 4 make me think I should get one, as they are now cheaper on Amazon UK(419) than my Note 3 was (450).

That said, I was thinking of diving in head first on the Note 5 this year, over 24 months or outright, and not even wait for reviews.
    My life is getting shorter and I missed the HuuHaa on the Note 4 last year, though had planned to get one by Christmas.

My own meager uses don't constrict me to worry about sd cards and batteries, though I would opt to have them.

I am tired of reading new reviews only for the negatives to emerge later. I fancy buying one for the heck of it without even looking and deal with issues later.
    The Note series has been good so far.

I always had looked down on people who would walk in to an expensive car showroom, point and say I will have that one - without knowing anything about it or the market.
    Most times I couldn't afford a tricycle I will admit, so there was jealousy, but it obviously pays to know the market, appreciate what you are buying technically, and know sometimes you will be happier with an often better but superceded product.
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    06-28-2015 11:08 AM
165 ... 4567