07-28-2015 10:55 PM
165 ... 567
tools
    If all of the carriers would agree to bootloader unlock their devices 1 year after initial activation, that would prolong the life of the device even further. Nowadays, 2 year old phones are mainly obsolete because they don't get the latest updates, if any at all, when most higher end phones are still worth updating after 2 years.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I don't think that's in their business interest. are the updates worth it to you? That's the real question. If you can live with the older software than upgrades are not that important.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-28-2015 11:30 AM
    MADD, once you experience how wonderful a big screen is---you'll stop thinking about it and just use it. It makes many things possible, including streaming video. Now, it's not my first choice to do that, but recently on vacation, it came in handy when I had nothing else with me. Enjoy the possibilities.
    06-28-2015 02:49 PM
    MADD, once you experience how wonderful a big screen is---you'll stop thinking about it and just use it. It makes many things possible, including streaming video. Now, it's not my first choice to do that, but recently on vacation, it came in handy when I had nothing else with me. Enjoy the possibilities.
    I had the Note 3 for 18 months and just sold it. I am using my backup Moto G 2013 with a 4.5" screen, lol - though I have gotten to like it now that I use it full time apart from the eye strain and light leakage on the led.

I need a Note size to increase my screen time, and decrease my sanity.

So I am already sold.
    I didn't use the pen much but I liked trialing the Note 4 pen and think I would use it more.

Have to say I couldn't use a Note without the cheap slim flip-over strap case I had (have) that kept the screen safe.

Sorry 'bout the long post, lol.
    I am attending classes in abbrevi
    Jalopiejoe and monsieurms like this.
    06-28-2015 03:23 PM
    I don't think that's in their business interest. are the updates worth it to you? That's the real question. If you can live with the older software than upgrades are not that important.

Posted via Android Central App
    That's the problem. They want to sell new phones by not updating their current ones that are still capable of updating. My point is...allow the customer to have the phone for the manufacturers warranty period, then allow users to unlock their phone online to do with it as they please.

06-29-2015 06:37 PM
    That's the problem. They want to sell new phones by not updating their current ones that are still capable of updating. My point is...allow the customer to have the phone for the manufacturers warranty period, then allow users to unlock their phone online to do with it as they please.

I can't speak for every carrier, but my T-mobile allows unlocking without any argument once the phone is paid. If you want to unlock at that point, call them up. They'll give you an unlock code.
    07-05-2015 07:50 AM
    Note 2 owner.
    I was not thrilled to see that S6 did away with replaceable battery and micro sd. Those were distinguishing features for Samsung devices vs. Apple.
    But those features were rarely if ever used by 99% of owners.
    In 2.5 years the back cover has never been off of my Note 2.
    I did add a 64g. Micro sd card at purchase because original capacity was not enough.
    I am more concerned with high cost of price premium of 128g Note 5 when a 128g Micro sd added to 32g unit would be cheaper and offer more flexibility.
    The battery issue is non existent.
    The sealed case allows for a bigger longer lasting battery with quick charging capability.
    Those that carried extra batteries can just as easily carry an external battery/charger.
    If new Droid can get 48 hours new Note 5 should be able to get at least 36 hours.
    If Samsung offers 64g as base model of Note 5 with a 128g for $100 more storage won't be an issue.
    07-06-2015 01:43 PM
    Those that carried extra batteries can just as easily carry an external battery/charger..
    Sorry, but to me that oversimplifies the many issues. While it is true that I very much care about the SD Card more, I'd certainly make a buying decision on batteries, too.

First of all, that new "huge" battery in Samsung's propaganda isn't that much bigger than the N4 if reports on the sealed Note 5 are true. (As I recall, about 20-25% bigger capacity. Big deal.)

Second, when a battery that size is drained, fast charging or not, how long is it going to take to charge it? Do you always have that time to wait before going out?

Third, all circumstances are not equal. If you answered "yes," to number 2 for your daily life, that doesn't end the story. On a regular basis, at home, I wouldn't much care if my battery were smaller. I'm always near a charger and it's easy to top up. The problem is: when I'm NOT in regular circumstances. Today, for example, I'll be going into a sort of pastoral setting. No electrical sockets around! When I'm on a 10 hour plane flight, no electrical sockets. When I'm walking around a foreign city using GPS and the battery is low, I don't want to sit at a cafe for an hour to charge up,if I'm not otherwise going to. OTOH, I can have the back and case off, a new battery in and case and back replaced in less than 30 seconds. Reboot. Done. Nothing's easier and faster than that.

I also don't agree that carrying a charger is as easy as a battery, at least not if it has to be in my pocket. Chargers have prongs. Internationally, add an adapter. And then you have to remember the separate cable, too, and always keep rewinding it so it doesn't sprawl out. A battery overall is way easier to carry--slimmer profile, no muss, no fuss.

And fourth and finally, of course, as many have pointed out over the years, batteries wear out. I am reaching a point where my life cycle for phones isn't going to be every year or even every 2 years. It's a huge inconvenience to have to return the phone to the factory for a new battery instead of just popping a fresh one. Even in a 2 year cycle--I have seen noticeable decline in efficiency over the final 6 months for batteries I had in my S4. What happens if I'm keeping the phone for 3 years?

So, if I can summarize, Samsung, which used these features once upon a time to differentiate itself in the marketplace, now thinks they are worthless. Not coincidentally, if there are no SD cards, Samsung will be forcing many of us to buy phones with huge internal memory. And every time we get a new phone, we'll be paying for the same, pricey internal space over and again. Samsung, though, will make more money from this, as if the phones aren't expensive enough. And then they ditch removable batteries. When the fixed battery dies, we will have little choice but to return it, presumably to Samsung for service ($$) and then to buy the new battery from whoever installs it ($$$). More money yet again to Samsung, increasing the cost of phone ownership overall.

I think that puts it in the proper light.
    07-11-2015 06:39 AM
    I have been using a small power pack with a Moto G (sealed), and while it's great to fall back on, and I do - I have to admit it's not an 'instant' solution to a drained battery that a freshly charged spare would be. I have to connect up and let it charge for at least 15 - 30 minutes, but then you end up with a 25 - 40% battery sometimes and then need to remember to charge it some more when you have the opportunity, which screws up the battery cycles.

I could plan it better, I am sure others do, - and I forget how fast it charges from say 3% to 30%, maybe 20 - 30 mins. I often don't have longer than that.

I wasn't too bothered about losing removable batteries for my Note 3 replacement, but I realise a power bank is just a portable wall charger that you use during the day or early evening, and you have to wait to replenish the only battery you have .
    If you have one that dangles from a short cord (mine is a mini torch shape) you can use the phone while charging only with dexterity and care for the usb port.

A fairly slim after market rugged case with a built-in battery pack could be the only viable alternative, or maybe a sealed battery of 4400+ mah as third best. Hell I don't know!

SD cards personally don't concern me for my uses, batteries do.

So put me back on the list of replaceable battery die-hard fanatics.
    07-11-2015 07:22 AM
    If Samsung simply followed Moto and went pure Android and integrated their enhancements it would allow updates to be faster and get rid of the crap no one wants. If they ever did a customer focus group (or the lawsuit in China) would tell them to get rid of the bloat.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    07-11-2015 04:53 PM
    I travel quite a bit. Carrying around two battery's and a spare SD card are the norm. The note 3 has been the best handset I have ever owned and it getting long in the tooth, having said that if the note 5 deletes these options I will be forced into the G4.
    07-16-2015 12:34 AM
    I travel quite a bit. Carrying around two battery's and a spare SD card are the norm. The note 3 has been the best handset I have ever owned and it getting long in the tooth, having said that if the note 5 deletes these options I will be forced into the G4.
    Actually, the Note 4 would be a good option. You can always pick one up on ebay or whatever.
    07-16-2015 06:51 AM
    I think a major selling point for the Note series has been the s-pen and great battery life. After using the s6 and finding it one of the best Samsung, if not the best Android phone out there, the cons has been the battery life and screen size. The major (though not the only) reason I use the Notes have been to use the pen for sketching and note taking. If Samsung can put a killer battery in it as well as get a higher capacity memory configurations, they will be selling a boatload.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    OceanView likes this.
    07-17-2015 07:38 PM
    After seeing some of the leaked info (and un-leaked speculations), I would reconsider my decision to pass on the Note 5. If the larger battery is able to last the day with moderately heavy use, and there is a microSD slot. If these two features are true, along with 64GB and 128GB variants, I could live with it. I'm still not crazy about the glass back, though.
    07-24-2015 02:11 PM
    I love my Note 4. But my fear is that Samsung will do away with the removable battery and microSD options, like they've done with the S6 and S6 Edge. IMHO these were two of the best (most desirable) options about Samsung devices. What difference does it make to have up to 128GB of internal memory if you can't remove it to transfer it to a new (or extra) phone or other device??? And with these large, high output screens, I'd rather carry an extra battery around than have to carry around a charger (and look for a place to plug it in). Yes, there are plug-in battery packs, etc., available, but I don't want the extra unwieldy bulk of trying to use my phone with something plugged into it while it's charging. So I (and I'm sure just about all other Note 4 users) hope that these options remain on the upcoming Note 5.

If you agree (or disagree), please comment. Maybe Samsung will pay attention.
    Maybe they just want to sell more phones with 128G internal memory...
    monsieurms likes this.
    07-27-2015 08:40 PM
    Yeah I agree! Keep both features!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    07-28-2015 10:55 PM
165 ... 567