Please Samsung, don't do this to the Note 5!

Rmbrown1964

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Please keep the SD card and give me the option to swap out a battery.! I like having options.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't use SD much but .. I have an unlimited data plan so that helps with that.

The battery I don't need but .. I do like. Swapping in 30 seconds to a full battery is nice but I also do have a battery pack as well which I could use.

You ever try having a conversation with a battery pack attached? 😆

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
My 2 cents:

I am OK with these options been gone..I am not a heavy user, so I know my battery can go 1 FULL day. And I don't have that much stuff on my phone that requires an SD card to store.

BUT...Different ppl have different needs and I get it..

Here's what SAMSUNG Should Do --> Make 2 models of Note 5...One with NO removable battery and NO SD card slot, other WITH a Removable battery and a SD card slot. People can choose whatever they are Comfortable with.

They should have done this with the S6 I believe...make the S6 Edge NO removable everything, and make the regular S6 with removable battery and SD card!

This says to the World that you are giving ppl choices...Not like other Smartphone manufacturers who don't give you ANY choice!!!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You ever try having a conversation with a battery pack attached? ??????

Yeah - just depends if you mean walking or sitting. Sitting is easy .. walking would be hard .. but if I knew my battery was getting anywhere near death I would have charged it before the phone call most likely. I couldn't really see a time where I couldn't plug it in and have it get some juice.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I hope they keep the Note series battery removable. They were able to release a premium product with the Note 4 while retaining there features. I agree with the OP. As said also, it wouldn't kill them to have two versions. After all, Samsung churn out different models almost daily! Wouldn't it be funny if Apple started doing removable batteries! They're already working on a high tech method of waterproofing which will probably be seen on the IPhone 7. Just read it today.

Tim Crowley

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I can't imagine ever buying another phone without a removable battery. Ok, I'd consider it if you can give me a one week battery. But NO, Samsung, listen to me; don't make the Note 5 with removable battery and storage. We need these things,.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they will change the Note 5 format much. They don't need to impress more with solid case.
IMO they will maintain removable batteries, but may consider not including an sd card as they create reading / writing and integration difficulties. Software will run smoother without it.

Then, if they leave the removable back cover, there is less to convince people that they couldn't install an sd slot.

It might have to be both, or none.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree.

I love the Note 4. It's the best phone Samsung has ever made IMHO.

I don't swap batteries often, but I find that replacing a dying battery with a fresh one easily without having to send your phone in for some time is a huge plus for device longevity. BUT, an SD card slot is an absolute MUST for me. Not only does it make transferring content from an old device to a new device easier, but if for whatever reason I fill my internal storage to it's brim, I can just go out and buy an SD card and never have to worry about deleting stuff until I fill that SD card up.

I don't use my phone for heavy tasks. The SD card will be useful to hold videos and photos and I can use the internal storage for apps. Plus, like I said, easily transferrable.

The Note 5 will fail in my mind if any of these are true;

1) Fixed battery that's smaller than the Note 4
2) No SD card slot

MsBlingberry

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I certainly agree! There's a reason most people made the switch from ios; different design, external storage and removable battery are top of the list. I zealously converted people to Samsung but if they are going to make 'samsung iphones', then I'm definitely out!

Posted via my awesome N4

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
This identical debate is going on in the S6 forum: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-batter-microsd-good-thing-3.html#post4271036

I'm not going to bother to repeat everything I said. But SD and removable batteries--those are deal breakers. If, when it comes time to upgrade, those things are gone from the Note line, I'll be looking around.

If they offer 64gb for the same price point as the Note 4,I won't mind. I have read that using only internal memory may be removing the lag and make the overall speed a lot snappier.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Depends on what you use the card for. THat's not enough storage for me--not even close--but in any event, my phone is plenty fast. There is no particular lag of any consequence.

indysteve9

May 8, 2011
Visit site
It's one of the largest reasons I bought the Samsung Note 4. Plus that it was a large phone for my large hands and it's gorgeous screen.

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
With all the battery pulls the average Android user needs to perform over the course of a phones lifespan, it is imperative that a removeable battery is implemented in a Note 5.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
With all the battery pulls the average Android user needs to perform over the course of a phones lifespan, it is imperative that a removeable battery is implemented in a Note 5.

Huh? Is that a joke? :) Because the last time I ever remember doing a battery pull was with the old HTC Thunderbolt; a finicky device by nature as it was Verizon and HTC's very first LTE device. Otherwise, I've never had to it with my old Note 2 and now Note 4. :)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I love my Note 4. But my fear is that Samsung will do away with the removable battery and microSD options, like they've done with the S6 and S6 Edge. IMHO these were two of the best (most desirable) options about Samsung devices. What difference does it make to have up to 128GB of internal memory if you can't remove it to transfer it to a new (or extra) phone or other device??? And with these large, high output screens, I'd rather carry an extra battery around than have to carry around a charger (and look for a place to plug it in). Yes, there are plug-in battery packs, etc., available, but I don't want the extra unwieldy bulk of trying to use my phone with something plugged into it while it's charging. So I (and I'm sure just about all other Note 4 users) hope that these options remain on the upcoming Note 5.

If you agree (or disagree), please comment. Maybe Samsung will pay attention.

Honestly if samsung makes the note 5 just like the s6 with a much larger battery I would be sold. 64gb for me is plenty of storage, and the non-removable battery isn't a deal breaker if the battery is nice and large.

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Huh? Is that a joke? :) Because the last time I ever remember doing a battery pull was with the old HTC Thunderbolt; a finicky device by nature as it was Verizon and HTC's very first LTE device. Otherwise, I've never had to it with my old Note 2 and now Note 4. :)

Not a joke. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. While of course there are exceptions to the rule with yourself being one of them, a vast majority of Android owners, from the very first days to present time, have had to do a battery pull here and there because of some performance issue or another and some people even do it on a regularly scheduled basis such as weekly just for good measure. I don't do the latter but have pulled on my Note 4, Droid X, Droid Incredible 2, Evo 4G, Focus S WP7, HTC HD7S WP7, all my Blackberries, Treo's, etc, etc.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see the ability to change batteries and if you can remove the back then a microSD slot is just as easily added. The issues are space for the microSD card holder if Samsung decides to make the phone as thin as the S6/Edge and if they feel the need to make a metal back, neither of which will allow for a removable back cover.
But in practice, with the rapid charge features of the new Samsung phones where 10 to 15 minutes gets you 4 hours of battery time a removable battery isn't really necessary. With wired data transfer, wireless data transfer, cloud data transfer and storage I would prefer the much faster internal SSD memory than a microSD card.
But that's just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair