Please Samsung, don't do this to the Note 5!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, we'll find out if that's true. If the NOTE line retains removable batteries and sd card slots, it is more than likely true. Then, they have an easy alternative for people in a larger form factor. They can take the position, "Well, if you want a really high end, full featured device, that's the NOTE. If you want a fancy phone, that's the S series."

If, however, they do away with them on ALL models--I'm willing to bet it isn't true. They will lose customers and very likely on a permanent basis. There are spin-offs, too. I bought a Samsung tv because of its screen mirror feature--integration with Samsung phones. I wouldn't have cared otherwise.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I would prefer to see the Note 5 get some of the S6 features but retain some of Note's key features. Give it the S6's, fingerprint sensor, Samsung Pay, 16MP Camera, DDR4 RAM, and 64GB internal storage and keep the 128GB microSD support and removable battery.

That would be ideal to me, best of both worlds. Sadly I see it this way, the die is pretty much cast on the Note 5 already its not like Samsung wasn't designing it along with the S6/Edge models to see what will/won't work. Plus the Note is announced in early September and its early March so 6 months out to totally redesign a premium phone.

While I have my eyes on the S6 Edge I may not get one, and could get the Note 4, I feel the Note 4 Edge features are a bit gimmicky for me where I see the S6 Edges features useful. Plus there is the whole Lollipop waiting game, why get last years OS when I can get a more current one.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
" Say it ain't so, Samsung."

Nice to see a journalist not relying on the OEM's for his supper.

(I'm coming back around to being a little peeved about the sealed battery, whether I get an S6 or not. Not peeved about the sd card, but understand most of those who are. )

He says all Samsung have got left is their software, which is a point.

The Galaxy line has been known for removables, he says. I think this is not a successor to the S5 except for size.

Rename it the Samsung T6 (Terninator! )

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Here's a writer who gets. Watch him systematically destroy Samsung's rationalizations:

The Samsung Galaxy S6 just killed two of my favorite Android features - CNET

Excerpt below summarizes my thoughts. I just hope they don't do the same thing with the Note line.

"In the end, as slick as the S6 might look, it marks a victory of form over functionality and flexibility. That flexibility is what differentiated Samsung's Android phones from Apple's iPhones. Now it just comes down to an operating system, and I'm not sure that's a battle Samsung's going to win."

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Excerpt below summarizes my thoughts. I just hope they don't do the same thing with the Note line.

"In the end, as slick as the S6 might look, it marks a victory of form over functionality and flexibility. That flexibility is what differentiated Samsung's Android phones from Apple's iPhones. Now it just comes down to an operating system, and I'm not sure that's a battle Samsung's going to win."

Summarizes my thoughts, too! Still hoping Note line will be immune--or, they back off. It's happened before. Honestly--I just can't see what sense in makes in this crowded marketplace to make yourself look like everyone else.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I can honestly say now with the Android phone line-ups, theres a button combo to perform a reset if the phone freezes. I had a Droid RAZR MAXX for 3 years without issued and now I have G3 and I can reset it without a battery pull.

But on the other hand, I travel a lot and I love being able to pull my battery then pop a new one in and let the dead on charge with the charger and battery pack and I have a new battery again if needed.

I would love to see them keep the SD card and removable battery. Also would like to see a developers edition as well. I still haven't seen root for the N4 except for the dev edition.

MACKSnare519

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I have always preferred having expandable storage. Never had a smartphone that didn't have it. Don't mind the non removable battery as I never bought an extra battery... Ever. My HTC One M8 gets along great. And I don't need to swap my Note 4's battery as it doesn't come close to dying.

But expandable storage I've long time regarded as a deal breaker. The reasons I skipped on the M7, all the Nexuses and those great Moto X/Droid Turbo devices. So if they do away with it on Note 5, then I've purchased my last Samsung device for a while. :(

gr56

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
It's simple, they're trying to convience us to pick bigger(and more expensive) storage version upfront because we won't be able to expand it later.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
It's simple, they're trying to convience us to pick bigger(and more expensive) storage version upfront because we won't be able to expand it later.

I doubt that they are that sinister and premeditated, but as a practical matter you are certainly correct. Without SD cards, you are forced to buy the same space over and again every time you change phones, at increasingly pricey levels as the storage amount increases.

nick sava

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I left HTC for Samsung for removable battery. I currently have the Note 3 (An Incredible phone in my opinion) and have been looking forward to the Note 5. If Samsung keeps the removable battery feature I'll pre-order the Note 5 on day 1. If not, I'm not sure what direction I will go.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I fully agree, the removable battery and internal SD card slot are both deal breakers for me if they remove it. I considered checking out the new S6, but when I heard they did not have a removable battery or sd card, I looked no farther. Some may not feel they need a removable battery, but some day when it doesn't hold a charge and the only option is getting a new phone or sending yours into the mfg to have the battery replaced you may feel difference. I had a battery go bad in one of mine after a year of heavy use, I ordered a new one for $20 on Amazon and had it in the phone in 2 minutes after receiving it. I did not have to go without my phone, risk having it lost or damaged in shipping, or pay a lot of money to buy a new one just over a $20 battery. When I work out at the gym I am several concrete walls inside the building and I only get a low speed connection. I can't stream music for my work out, and even if I could many people are on limited data plans. I have also seen people have phones damaged or just die and if it has an internal SD card, you just remove it put it on the new phone. One lady had all her photo's on the internal memory, then when it died she lost them all. Internal SD card and removable battery is a must for me. I like the Galaxy Note phones, but if they get rid of those two features I will look for another phone. I also had a nephew who made a long trip with his dad and streamed music from his new phone that had no internal SD card, they went way over their data plan. When I showed him how much music I could store on an internal SD card, he decided his next phone must have one too.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree!

I love the Note line. Putting all the great features aside one of my main reasons for staying with the Note is:
1. Spen
2. Removable Battery
3. SD Card Slot Choice to use on not to use.

I really don't like the 'disposable' mentality the Manufacturers are adapting, which is exactly what they are doing with the embedded battery. Once the battery goes bad after 1-2 years, the phone is useless forcing a new phone purchase. I want the choice of extending the life of my phone by putting in a new battery!

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree!

I love the Note line. Putting all the great features aside one of my main reasons for staying with the Note is:
1. Spen
2. Removable Battery
3. SD Card Slot Choice to use on not to use.

I really don't like the 'disposable' mentality the Manufacturers are adapting, which is exactly what they are doing with the embedded battery. Once the battery goes bad after 1-2 years, the phone is useless forcing a new phone purchase. I want the choice of extending the life of my phone by putting in a new battery!

Having you buy a new phone because the battery is no good anymore is what the manufacture wants. They are no dumdum. I have a note 2 and my battery shat the bed a few months ago so I got a new battery. Without this feature, you are forced to buy a new phone or send it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles